Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Mavericks is free

Mavericks is free (Page 3)
Mac Elite
Location: Excellent, the sports issue is within arm's reach, I'll be here all day.
Jan 25, 2014, 01:56 PM

How do I hide the wish list button in iTunes?
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Mac Elite
Location: Excellent, the sports issue is within arm's reach, I'll be here all day.
Jan 25, 2014, 03:45 PM

Here's a guaranteed way to get Spotlight to crash:

Type something, and then as you move your cursor over the search results, keep typing.

Crash!

Battery life overall still about the same as in 10.8, despite all Apple's touting about battery conservation.

Final impression of 10.9:

The same as all the previous iterations of 10.x since 10.3:

buggy.

Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2014, 04:24 PM

Your system is ****ed up.

I cannot reproduce the Spotlight crash (continues to work fine), and beyond that, most of this thread appears to be you listing obscure issues, with nobody chiming in to confirm them.

My educated guess: The problem is not Mavericks itself.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 25, 2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Your system is ****ed up.

I cannot reproduce the Spotlight crash (continues to work fine)
I did it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLqtmx2p7Io

Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2014, 12:47 PM

Oh wow.

If I start with "Something", I can get it to crash, too. Weird.

Sorry And.reg: You've indeed uncovered a weird bug.

Report it (just report it; don't bitch at them) on Apple's site.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2014, 07:29 PM

Done.

Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Here's a guaranteed way to get Spotlight to crash:

Type something, and then as you move your cursor over the search results, keep typing.

Crash!
Doesn't work, uhm, "crash" for me.

-t

Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2014, 09:28 AM

Here is another bug:

Scroll around in multi-column view (which is what I always use because it's the fastest way for me to organize my files/folders, which are 20 levels deep)

Navigate to a text file or even a picture. Then, on your trackpad, two-finger scroll left and right back and forth a few times. You'll see an effect like this where the item highlight becomes blurred and the text does not display properly:

This kind of "bug discovery" has been commonplace for me for years.

Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2014, 02:43 PM

Yeah, that one's easy: you're scrolling it wrong

-t

Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2014, 04:01 PM

This kind of "bug discovery" has been commonplace for me for years.
Decades, here.

Software be code written by humans.

Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, that one's easy: you're scrolling it wrong
Cool story, steve

Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2014, 07:46 PM

Question: Other than having to wake my iPod and then put it back on standby by hand, how do I get my iPod to sync with Calendars/iCloud so that it doesn't keep falsely notifying me of events that I keep canceling/rescheduling while on my Mac?

P
Feb 6, 2014, 10:13 AM

Assuming it's an iPod touch: the settings for that are hidden on the phone, in Settings ->Email, Contacts, Calendar. Depending on iOS version, there is a setting there to use Push or a fetch schedule. Change it to a reasonably tight fetch schedule if Push doesn't work.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2014, 10:00 PM

I'll have to ponder that...push works fine, when I am using my iPod a lot on some days, but I also want it to retrieve updates on days where I use it less.

Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2014, 08:52 PM

Other issues:

Reminders: Moving a newly-added item to the beginning of the list causes the checkbox to appear out of place.

Preview: When you start changing the gray levels, sometimes the entire photo changes scale arbitrarily. Example: Download this picture:
FileIA01537 modest.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Then adjust the levels (the three very tiny up-facing arrow/triangles) in the Adjust Color dialog.
Then save.
Then re-open and pick the middle level triangle... even if you move it a little, the whole picture gets darker for no reason. I have to take a screenshot of the picture, save that, and make that my new image.

TextEdit: On RTF (with images) documents where the 1 inch margins are shown literally, if I start moving text/images around, sometimes, the last line of text at the end of the document will repeat itself numerous times in the display window, but you can't select it to remove it, but if you close and re-open the document, it's gone.

Also, on this same window, sometimes, if I type Command-F, nothing happens. A find dialogue is supposed to come up. I am trying to reproduce this.

I also don't see a way to adjust page margins in TextEdit and I couldn't find a solution other than to use other software. C'mon already...

Did I mention that Finder still keeps crashing when I drag images from Safari into the Finder in multi-column view?

Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2014, 12:20 AM

Are you reporting these bugs to Apple? They're not really doing much good here.

Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2014, 01:48 PM

Well is anyone else having these issues? If so, then I'm sure that Apple already knows.

Also:

Sometimes when working in LaTeX, especially in multi-column view, the .aux and other files will not actually show up.

These are difficult problems to reproduce so a bug report may not be fruitful yet.

Let me go do diskutil repairPermissions / and reset my PRAM (monitor boots into the wrong brightness) to see if that remedies things.

Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2014, 02:19 PM

Another issue with TextEdit:

The palette to add a table breaks easily.

Open a new rich text document. Wrap the document to page (Format > Wrap to Page). Start typing. Save the document. Then go to Format > Table... and start messing around with the options.
Eventually the palette will break and will tell you 0 rows and 0 columns, and you won't be able to edit it without closing and re-opening the palette.

Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2014, 08:40 AM

Did I mention that Finder still keeps crashing when I drag images from Safari into the Finder in multi-column view?

Still happens... here is what appears in the Console. I have to relaunch Finder every few drags

Code:
4/16/14 7:38:31.400 AM Finder[153]: Can not nest column dragging sessions 4/16/14 7:38:31.402 AM Finder[153]: ( 0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff92f1025c __exceptionPreprocess + 172 1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff95546e75 objc_exception_throw + 43 2 AppKit 0x00007fff8f8dbb9d -[NSBrowser _setDropTargetColumn:targetRow:targetDropOperation:dragOperation:] + 0 3 AppKit 0x00007fff8f8e4223 -[NSBrowserTableView draggingEntered:] + 103 4 Finder 0x000000010160073a Finder + 3102522 5 AppKit 0x00007fff8f813dbc NSCoreDragTrackingProc + 3320 6 HIServices 0x00007fff923e1e3c DoTrackingMessage + 370 7 HIServices 0x00007fff923e4d99 CoreDragMessageHandler + 753 8 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff92ebbdb8 __CFMessagePortPerform + 760 9 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff92e419a9 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE1_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 41 10 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff92e4191e __CFRunLoopDoSource1 + 478 11 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff92e32a16 __CFRunLoopRun + 1830 12 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff92e320b5 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 309 13 HIToolbox 0x00007fff9200aa0d RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 226 14 HIToolbox 0x00007fff9200a7b7 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 479 15 HIToolbox 0x00007fff9200a5bc _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 65 16 AppKit 0x00007fff8f5073de _DPSNextEvent + 1434 17 AppKit 0x00007fff8f506a2b -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 122 18 AppKit 0x00007fff8f4fab2c -[NSApplication run] + 553 19 AppKit 0x00007fff8f4e5913 NSApplicationMain + 940 20 Finder 0x0000000101311770 Finder + 26480 21 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff8c3f65fd start + 1 ) 4/16/14 7:38:40.184 AM Console[558]: setPresentationOptions called with NSApplicationPresentationFullScreen when there is no visible fullscreen window; this call will be ignored.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2014, 01:20 AM

They really want people to update, so they can run some other new paid software or other service

Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by roll View Post
They really want people to update, so they can run some other new paid software or other service
Update what? My version of Safari or Mavericks... and to what? I already have the latest versions.

Anyways here are some more messages. The one with QuickLookUIHelper is interesting, because it suggests that Apple hasn't interfaced Quicklook to be compatible with drag and drop from Safari.

Code:
4/17/14 8:11:47.566 AM QuickLookUIHelper[457]: [QL] QuickLookUIHelper is stuck - force quit now 4/17/14 8:11:47.674 AM WindowServer[87]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 6.28 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds) 4/17/14 8:11:49.457 AM Finder[149]: NSFileCoordinator: Sending of a providerCheckin message was interrupted. Details: Connection interrupted 4/17/14 8:11:53.887 AM Console[596]: setPresentationOptions called with NSApplicationPresentationFullScreen when there is no visible fullscreen window; this call will be ignored.

Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2014, 11:06 AM

He was referring to the thread topic, not your troubleshooting.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2014, 12:54 AM

Yes Mavericks is free with advanced and unique features against OS X 10.8 but still displeasing. For e.g. Multiple display is good for users to run more than one app in full screen to figure out the work in more compatible way; but sometimes it confuses among the primary and secondary display and dock bar and menu bar.

Mac Elite
May 20, 2014, 09:40 PM

Before 10.9.3, waking up from sleep gave a nice smooth "getting brighter" display.

Now the display "zaps" on when I open the lid; it's almost instant instead of gracefully transient.

Is this change normal?

Mac Elite
May 23, 2014, 12:53 PM

Why do I keep getting this in my console?

5/23/14 11:52:17.063 AM Console[1686]: setPresentationOptions called with NSApplicationPresentationFullScreen when there is no visible fullscreen window; this call will be ignored.

Every time that happens, my trackpad/scrolling/keypad/something becomes unresponsive for up to a few seconds. This has been going on every day for a few months.

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Just announced at the Apple event... that the 10.9 Mavericks update is free.
Same for Yosemite, it will be free. Somewhat surprised no one discussed, not even reported, the new OS X version here.

P
Jun 5, 2014, 11:25 AM

There was a general WWDC thread in the Lounge, but feel free to start a thread on just the OS.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2014, 03:42 PM

Every time that happens, my trackpad/scrolling/keypad/something becomes unresponsive for up to a few seconds. This has been going on every day for a few months.

Well has anyone seen/resolved this issue?

Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2014, 05:54 PM

Nope. Do you have any SteerMouse/BetterTouchTool or such USB "enhancement" tools installed?

Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2014, 07:42 PM

No SteerMouse or BetterTouchTool.

Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2014, 10:09 AM

Another bug in preview: When adding text captions to images in Preview, sometimes double-clicking on the current value for the font size and then typing whatever you want for the new size doesn't work properly. Often what will happen is: double-clicking sometimes works, but occasionally when you start typing it'll actually concatenate the string to an enormous font size. This can crash the program or cause strange issues when you re-select the font size later, instead of replacing the old font size string.

Example: Start editing a 10-20 megapixel photo. Add a short text caption. Highlight the caption. Change the font size to 288 (you can select "288" from the font inspector or type it in). Then change the font size to 192 by double-clicking 288 and typing 192. (This is what you normally do in Pages.) Then hit Enter. Havoc ensues. Try typing 32 for the font size. Try typing 112 for the font size. Eventually the font size textfield will just malfunction.

I don't see a Preview support/feedback page, so I don't have any idea how to report this as a bug.

Also, another Preview bug: Open a 10-20 megapixel image. Zoom all the way in. Then change the size to something like 25%. As the image is being resized, hit Control-minus a few times to zoom out. Preview will malfunction and not zoom back in after the resize is done. You will have to close and re-open the image. This bug can be reproduced in other ways.
( Last edited by And.reg; Jul 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM. )

Administrator
Jul 8, 2014, 08:10 AM

and.reg, it sounds like what you're seeing is just Preview being too busy doing what you already told it to do to properly manage the new inputs. The "bug" I'm seeing in this is that it actually lets you make any font size entries or that it pays attention to keyboard entries at all while it's processing those "10-20 megapixel" images. Does it do anything like this with a 4MP image? I'll bet not.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2014, 09:45 AM

Yes, it does. Take even a small (less than 1 MP) image. Add a short text caption. Highlight the caption. Open the font inspector. Double-click on the current font size. Change the font size to 52 (type it). Then repeat for other font sizes (24, 31, 81, 37, etc.) (This is what you normally do in Pages.) Eventually the font size textfield will just malfunction.

Zoom issues still happen with the 1 MP image.

(I don't recall these being issues in 10.8.)

Administrator
Jul 10, 2014, 08:09 AM

Well then my theory about your specific issue has some flaws.

I've never given Preview that sort of workload, and in particular never messed with captions to the level you're talking about. With a 1MP picture, are those font sizes actually practical? Will they fit on the image? I'm thinking that the glitch is that huge type sizes require a lot of processing power to fit into the image and/or file. Just calculating masks for font transparency with huge letters will be a lot of work for Preview to do.

And when you say "change the font size again," are you letting Preview finish rendering with the first choice before entering a second choice?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jul 10, 2014, 07:23 PM

Open a 10-20 megapixel image. Zoom all the way in. Then change the size to something like 25%. As the image is being resized, hit Control-minus a few times to zoom out. Preview will malfunction and not zoom back in after the resize is done. You will have to close and re-open the image. This bug can be reproduced in other ways.
This isn't a bug. This is you sending too many commands at once for Preview and your computer to keep up with. Even Photoshop will eventually choke if you start banging multiple commands at it while it's trying to re-size a large image.

Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
With a 1MP picture, are those font sizes actually practical? Will they fit on the image?...

And when you say "change the font size again," are you letting Preview finish rendering with the first choice
Yup.
And it's a problem with the font inspector size textfield, not the rendering. Even small font sizes (17) and long wait times cause the font size to freak out.
I'm not talking anymore about the resize-then-mash-Command-0. This is the one font-size-adjustment at a time method.

Forum Links
Forum Rules