Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > Partitioning error on 10.5.8/Leopard

Partitioning error on 10.5.8/Leopard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2013, 03:23 PM

Today's patient is my son's MDD G4, dual 1 GHz running 10.5.8. Hard drive size is 40 GB. Since I can't find Java 6 to allow us to run the game Minecraft, I have decided to jump into the world of Linux with Ubuntu 12.04, which is on a CD and ready to load. To do that I need to partition the hard drive and that's where the problem is. Here is a screen grab of the error message I get:

"Filesystem resize support required, such as HFS+ with Journaling enabled"

In my administrators account, I click the "+" button and get two partitions as shown. "A new volume will be created" and the OSX volume will not be erased. The only option I get for format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I hit "Apply" and almost immediately get that error message. I have tried resizing the new partition and also renaming it but still get the error. I even tried doing this after booting off of the system disc but still get the error message.

I could boot off of the system disc, erase the drive and reformat with two partitions but don't want to reload the OS and all the updates, etc. I did do a Time Machine backup but don't know how or if that will restore the OSX system to what was on their before but on 1/2 of the disc (1/2 would still be plenty of room for the install of Leopard that is on here). How Time Machine works is a bit of a mystery.

I could also get a second hard drive but don't know how to set up the jumpers to allow for option booting.

Best and easiest would be to partition in place as I am trying to do- does anybody know how to get around this error message?

Thanks-

Val

Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2013, 01:01 AM

Don't even bother if it's for minecraft. That computer won't be able to handle it I'm afraid.

P
Dec 27, 2013, 07:12 AM

Many ways to do this, but first: did you try enabling journaling? Just select the partition and select that option from the File menu.

Java 6 for PPC exists as a beta, but apparently is hard to find. Shifuimam has been chasing it, but I don't think it ever turned up.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules