Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > iCloud: what does it give you?

iCloud: what does it give you?
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2014, 04:20 PM

I may be taking a big travel trip soon.
I've never used icloud for anything more than Calendar.

Can it back up work and excel files?

How much space do they give you for images? thanks!
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

P
Mar 5, 2014, 04:49 PM

If you don't pay, you get 5 gigs. You can buy more, if that's not enough.

You cannot just move anything to iCloud. An app that wants to use it has to be coded for it, and then it's used automatically. If you want a cloud service that works like a regular old network share and works well with Macs and iOS device,s consider Dropbox.

Photos is a special case. Apple has a feature called Photostream, apparently intended to let your computers back up each other. What happens is that when you take a photo with Photostream on, it is copied to a special part of your iCloud account that does not count against the 5 gigs. It stays there for 30 days. Any Mac you have that signs in to the same iCloud account and has iPhoto will download anything saved to Photostream, so as long as you open it at least once every month, you photos will be replicated to all devices.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2014, 05:02 PM

thanks P, nice info. the photo thing sounds too convoluted. So I guess it's drop box, but it's a bit cumbersome for just quick backups of a word file, but I'll deal with it.

Pity, I can't move the 5 GB have with Apple over to dropbox. After 2GB, then you have to pay them.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2014, 09:25 AM

I start to like iCloud, honestly. It is rather great not to have to do anything, everything is just in sync, and also backupped. I wonder, sometimes, if there is any Android integration, or how the windows integration really works, but apparently, it is alright, like Apple products on Windows can use it, too, hmm. Dunno, it is sort of well done at Apple, and well-integrated.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 PM

Peter, that would be cool, you save a word file and bam, its backup up in the cloud while you are traveling.

That said, P, question:

What about me just bringing a small external hard drive and backing up stuff on that? photos etc.

But, I would like to know, is there an easy way to lock people out from that hard drive if it was stolen? I suppose one could create a huge sparse drive.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Administrator
Mar 6, 2014, 01:33 PM

I changed the name of the thread - it said "i could" instead of "iCloud."

You can make your external drive an encrypted volume and that would keep it from prying eyes. The issue with an external drive for backup is that you have to have it with you to use it, whereas something like Dropbox or iCloud is as close as the nearest network connection.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2014, 05:41 PM

thanks G.
So just created the sparse volume on drive? There is not log in type things for external drives that you get with your home computer...?

BTW, this forum no longer does auto log in?
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2014, 01:49 PM

Question:
Just testing Dropbox and I had to do a copy of file. Why? Isn't this on another hardrive in the cloud?
If I did not use option key to copy, the file moved from desktop to the dropbox folder. thanks.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

P
Mar 8, 2014, 03:08 PM

Dropbox is a service that works by syncing one folder on your computer to the network, so the one folder you copied to is still on your computer.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2014, 07:41 PM

Got it P. thanks.

Dang, deleted Macnn cookies and still have to log in for each post.
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Got it P. thanks.

Dang, deleted Macnn cookies and still have to log in for each post.

If you are deleting your cookies, this is why you have to constantly log in. Why are you deleting your cookies?

Administrator
Mar 9, 2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you are deleting your cookies, this is why you have to constantly log in. Why are you deleting your cookies?
He did that on the advice of another member to get rid of faulty cookies...

Jeff, once you've deleted the cookies, you need to visit the site, log in, and give the browser a chance to save the cookie - more than just "log in and leave." Oh, and you ARE just leaving, right? Not logging out when you leave?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacNN Editor
Mar 12, 2014, 05:12 AM

I have to correct a wee bit of misinformation in this thread -- you can absolutely store Microsoft Office documents in your 5GB iCloud account, since they are compatible with and treated as iWork documents.

iCloud: Documents in the Cloud overview

In addition, there are numerous free third-party utilities that effectively turn your spare iCloud space into a Dropbox-like service. I use iCloudDisk but there are others.
_chas_

Forum Links
Forum Rules