Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > "Sleep" and ongoing transfers

"Sleep" and ongoing transfers
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2014, 11:13 AM

Im on a MacPro w 10.6.8

when I put the comp. to sleep, does that affect ongoing transfers to and from the internet?
sometimes the Comp. wakes up for no apparent reason.

is this someting to do w the transfers ?
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Apr 1, 2014, 11:34 AM

When you sleep the computer on 10.6.8, it will shut down all Internet transfers. There is a way for devices on the Internet to wake it, which you can disable in the energy saver settings in System Preferences.

(Note that the answer is different for newer versions of OS X. There is a feature called Dark Wake, which under certain circumstances will keep the Mac on and just pretend to sleep so it can finish a few tasks before sleeping.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2014, 11:46 AM

thank you. if the box labeled 'put HD to sleep when possible' is checked in 'Energy Saver',

will 'sleep' over ride the transfers or E.S. decides that with transfers occurring , it wont put the HD to sleep ?

many thanks
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Apr 1, 2014, 06:28 PM

Those are different things. With that box checked, the OS will sleep the drive while the computer remains awake, and that won't happen if it's in use. The entire computer will still sleep if there has been no user action for whatever time has been set as the sleep timer. The network activity checkbox is something else (hidden in Advanced, I think).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules