Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac OS X > What is the easist way to know which OS booted into?

What is the easist way to know which OS booted into?
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2014, 06:24 PM

I was just in Genius bar and the guy said that if I boot into my external OS, that drive will be at top of the desktop. I have never heard or seen this, and just tested and in fact the Mac HD remains at the top. So it appears he was wrong. and he was smart.

The old way I know is to go into startup disc, and see there.
Now, I just did that while I was booted into the backup external, the Mac HD was selected, is that correct? the one you are NOT in is selected?

Is there another quick easy, intuitive way to know which disc you are on?
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Administrator
Apr 10, 2014, 09:05 PM

If you haven't defined an organizing scheme for your desktop and/or there are no file icons in the way, OS X will indeed place the boot volume at the top-right.

Easiest way: open "About This Mac", first choice under the Apple Menu. It will show the current Startup Disk.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2014, 10:53 PM

thanks Reader, the about tip is excellent. Would be nice if the OS current was also at the top as the guy said, but I have to create that?
OS 10.6.8
imac-2 core 27"/2009
4GB Ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules