Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mighty-Mouse can't scroll upward anymore

Mighty-Mouse can't scroll upward anymore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2007, 09:57 PM

hi,

my mighty-Mouse can't scroll "up" (upward) anymore,
i still can scroll down, left, right, but i just can't scroll upward. this happen in ALL application, including photoshop, safari & at finder.

yes, i set the mouse's Scrolling Option setting (in System Preferences) = "Vertical & horizontal", it doesn't work even i set it to "360 degree"

do u have the same issue? or heard about this?
btw, i'm using intel core2duo iMac 2ghz. i had this issue 2 weeks & it is still like this even after i upgraded to OS X 1.4.9.

thanks.

Professional Poster
May 5, 2007, 02:08 AM

The most likely problem is that there's gunk on the sensor. Unplug the mouse and put a small amount of a mild cleanser on the ball. Then scroll the ball in all directions for a while. Plug it back in and try. I get this every few months and a simple cleaning fixes it.
Vandelay Industries

May 5, 2007, 05:37 AM

My own annecdotal experience and the number of posts on the web about how to get the scroll ball scrolling again means that the scroll ball mechanism is just simply flawed in its design.

Cleaning it works for a while but after a few months you just can't get some of the directions back (I lost the up also and gave up). The ony solution might be complete dissassembly and cleaning, something I didn't bother to try. It's easier to pick up a €13 logitech mouse and put the mighty mouse in a draw and then ponder how Apple could fix the design in a future revision. It seems to be mechanical, if so I wonder why it wasn't optical.
Treasuremytext.com :: Save your text messages online ::

Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2007, 02:16 PM

You just have to clean it. Takes about half an hour. Get a friend to do it if you're not great with your hands:

Sunday project: Mighty Mouse Cleaning

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 05:54 PM

Cleanser? Half an hour? Gave up? Let me teach you all how to clean a MM scroll ball in seconds.

Make sure your jeans are pulled tight across your thigh, invert the MM and press the ball hard into your thigh, rub it back and forth vigorously with lots of downward pressure. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat. If the ball still isn't working, you didn't press hard enough or shake it back and forth fast enough.

Works every time.

Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2007, 07:37 PM

Time for a trip to visit the Mac Genius?

Apple replaced mine without question asked at the Apple Store.

Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2007, 09:35 PM

My mighty mouse has the same problem: it doesn't scroll up. I tried the "rub it on blue jeans" trick and it hasn't worked yet.

Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by PER3 View Post
You just have to clean it. Takes about half an hour. Get a friend to do it if you're not great with your hands:

Sunday project: Mighty Mouse Cleaning
I checked this link and the solution involves an exacto knife and crazy glue. I think my first option will be to exchange my mouse before the warranty expires. If that doesn't work, I'll invest in some crazy glue.

Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ulrika Zugzwang View Post
Cleanser? Half an hour? Gave up? Let me teach you all how to clean a MM scroll ball in seconds.

Make sure your jeans are pulled tight across your thigh, invert the MM and press the ball hard into your thigh, rub it back and forth vigorously with lots of downward pressure. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat. If the ball still isn't working, you didn't press hard enough or shake it back and forth fast enough.

Works every time.
I tried this several times and it didn't work, then I poured some water on my jeans and it worked. I based partially on the movie on the Apple page for cleaning the mighty mouse:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417

Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 11:29 PM

For me, inverting the MM and rubbing the scroll ball vigorously back and forth and all around on a moist lens cleaning cloth (for about 20-30 seconds) does the trick every time.

May 7, 2007, 05:46 AM

Being a Sunday I tried the breaking apart my MM and trying to clean it. It seems like I ended up blowing three of the scroll ball sensors because now it only goes left.

There was a ton of crap in their including strands of hair mixed up with fibres of various cloths I'd been using to clean it previously. No amount of rubbing on stretched jeans was going to fix it. It's a stupid design, it's the same mechanism as old roll ball mice, they had to let you take the ball out because it's inevitable they'll get gunged up eventually to the point of not working.
Treasuremytext.com :: Save your text messages online ::

Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 01:41 PM

Rolling it on your jeans is a bad idea. You need to use a lint free cloth to clean it. Jeans are not lint free. Plus you need to use something to remove the grease that builds up from the oils on your skin.

I manage about 200 Macs at a school. Half of them have a Mighty Mouse attached. We have not had a single one fail, which says a lot when students are the main users. They beat the crap out of anything they touch. The only maintenance we do is clean the ball with some isopropyl alcohol when a student complains of poor scrolling performance. In about 15 seconds, the ball is clean and working perfectly again.
Vandelay Industries

Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 02:17 PM

Ugh, I cleaned my MM today (again) and now the "central" button doesn't work anymore. My workflow is completely messed up because I'm soo used to activating Exposé with the central click. I've had it with the MM. I'm getting a new Logitech or something.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 02:35 PM

I have a basic, cheap optical logitec with a scroll wheel - I love it - simple, robust, no problems.

Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2007, 02:57 PM

Just shooting compressed air in and all around the scroll ball has always worked for me....

Forum Regular
May 7, 2007, 05:20 PM

They sprayed this at my apple store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules