Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport - How to set up with DSL & PPPoE

Airport - How to set up with DSL & PPPoE
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 12:43 PM

Hello guys.

Just switched another friend to the Mac. iBook with Airport Extreme. Roomate has a wired PC, and I really don't want to tell the roomate to get a wireless card, since the modem is right next to his PC and that would be a waste.

As I have experienced in the past, the Airport Extreme and Airport Express are not exactly user friendly when it comes to setting up a network on a DSL connection that uses PPPoE. In fact, the setup is downright piss-poor and confusing.

When I had and Extreme, I finally just sold it because my ISP, SBC in California, knew nothing of Apple stuff, and the Apple Discussion boards could not solve my issue. I could never get it to work with the DSL and PPPoE. So I just got a $60 linksys router and the setup was easy and worked the first time. Both my dad's iMac and my Powerbook work fine off the linksys router.

I use an Express at work because it is a cable modem connection which requires almost no setup at all. And for that it is great.

But my buddy really wants an Express, so I am going to give it a shot with his setup, which is identical to mine at home, SBC is the ISP, connecting through PPPoE.

I got his iBook to connect via PPPoE when connected via ethernet cable to the modem. That is easy. I just entered the user name and password into Internet Connect.

But the minute I plugged my Express to the modem, and tried to setup a new Profile, it did not work, and I got the endless menu bar thingy saying "connecting via PPPoE". I tried the Airport Setup Assistant, and the Airport Admin Utility (speaking of which, why doesn't Apple combine these two things?) and no luck. The Assistant would not even allow the selection of a PPPoE setup.

I rebooted the Express, I rebooted the modem, I rebooted the iBook. No luck.

So what I am thinking is to just get a cheap router like a linksys to use for his internet, and an Express for his music, printing. But the drawback of this is that he cannot print without disconnecting from the Express network. Advantage would be that one router could connect both computers, and he would never have to mess with the Airport setup crap.

What do you guys think is the best solution?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules