Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Getting AirPort Express software off CD?

Getting AirPort Express software off CD?
Forum Regular
May 6, 2005, 10:07 PM

I need to extend the range of my wireless network and am trying to follow the guide here: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...t_express.html

The problem is that I only have the AirPort Setup Assistant, not AirPort Express. Therefore, I don't see the screen where it lets you choose to extend your network. The weird thing is that when I use the CD that came with the AirPort Express, the options to install iTunes and the AirPort software are grayed out so I can't select them. Is this because I already have them installed?

Also with the AirPort Express, I'm wondering if I can hook it up to connect my TiVo to the Internet via ethernet and USB adaptor. The problem is that I don't think it is giving a connection to the TiVo/ethernet adaptor because the lights aren't indicating that it is. Is it possible to connect something via ethernet to the AirPort Express when it is used a wireless access point/network extender?
21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 02:25 PM

*bump*

Can anyone help?

Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 02:36 PM

IIRC, you don't need a special setup software for AExpress. Just use the standard Airport Setup software 4.1.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

-t

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 02:56 PM

Yes, but I want to extend the range of my network using an AirPort Express. There is no option to do that in the regular AirPort software, and the weird thing is the option to install the AirPort Express software is grayed out on the CD. When I try to install the CD's software, it won't let me, saying I already have a newer version on my hard drive. In my Utilities folder, I have the AirPort Admin and Setup utilities, but nothing AirPort Express...

Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 06:42 PM

Are you using an original Apple Airport Extreme Basestation that you want to extend with the AE ? It only works with Apple AEB, not third party wifi routers

-t

mjames  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 06:50 PM

That's it, then. I have a D-Link router. Tried Apple's, but it was more expensive and had a weaker signal. So joining my current network with the AirPort Express does nothing to improve signal strength? I guess I can still share printers and play through my home stereo...

Forum Links
Forum Rules