Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Is it bad to have airport on all the time?

Is it bad to have airport on all the time?
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2005, 09:51 PM

I find that I shut off my wireless connection when I'm not using my computer for security reasons. However, does having your connection on all the time affect security?

I already password protected it.

Also, my airport base is like 6 feet away from my computer (small apartment) but sometimes I don't get full signal strength. Usually I get 5, but sometimes it drops to 3 or 4. That seems strange since it's so close and no one else can use it w/o my password. Why would it go lower? Does that mean someone else is using my signal?

Administrator
May 8, 2005, 10:19 PM

It's safe to leave your wireless system on 24/7 if you're taking all the necessary security precautions. A good, strong password is essential, as is a good, strong admin password on the base station.

Someone else using your wireless connection would not necessarily show up as a drop in the number of bars your signal indicator shows. However, anything getting between your computer and your base station, particularly a person or part of one, will definitely reduce the signal level between the two. And I can't tell you how quickly the indicator shows changes, so you may not see the indication change while whatever it is is between the two.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CIA
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 10:55 PM

While I can't comment on the security issues, I have found that with a stationary computer and no movement or such to change anything, I get good signal sometimes. Esp when nothing is really moving around the network. Oddly, I can have full signal, but as soon as I start using the network it drops off quickly. So maybe the signal strength drops with higher load? Dunno, just my observations...
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Admin Emeritus
May 9, 2005, 01:26 PM

As for security... WEP encryption was broken years ago, but in order to do it, the cracker has to "collect" a lot of data, so on a home network with one person, it may take a long time to do. WPA is a better option. If you really need total protection, use a VPN as well. But frankly, nobody's gonna bother cracking a home network -- there are bigger fish to fry. WPA is a convenient and sufficient method.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules