Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to clone MAC address please

How to clone MAC address please
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 11:16 AM

I got my new ISP today and configured it to work wiht my Mac no problem using DHCP aftet the setup. Now I found out that I can't connect to the Cable Modem using DHCP with my Airport unless I do something called MAC address cloning.

How do I do this and which MAC address do I clone, please?
Anyone who denies climate changes naturally is a Climate Change Skeptic.

Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I got my new ISP today and configured it to work wiht my Mac no problem using DHCP aftet the setup. Now I found out that I can't connect to the Cable Modem using DHCP with my Airport unless I do something called MAC address cloning.

How do I do this and which MAC address do I clone, please?
You should have told your cable company the MAC address of your Airport in the first place

All network devices have a unique MAC address. So a Mac with an Ethernet port and Airport Extreme card has at least two MAC addresses. Some ISPs require you to 'register' the MAC address of the network device used to connect to their equipment. Sometimes you can just tell them a MAC address but often they detect it on your first connection. They then limit your connection to that single MAC address (i.e. the ethernet port you used when you fist connected). So when you later try to connect with a different computer or AirPort they refuse the connection

This is a common problem, so _some_ DSL/Cable routers allow you to override the real MAC address of their ethernet port with a "clone" of the MAC address of your choosing (e.g. the MAC address of the ethernet port you used when you first connected). For example my LinkSYS router allows this. BUT... I _think_ ( I could be wrong) that the AirPort does NOT allow cloning of MAC addresses.

One work around is to use a 3rd party DSL/Cable router that does allow MAC address cloning for your NAT / firewall and then configure your AIrPort as a simple bridge.

An easier solution is to tell your cable company that you switched ethernet ports and provide them with the MAC address of the WAN port on your Airport. BTW it is written on the bottom of the AirPort.

-- asxless in iLand

Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 04:09 AM

Do some ISP's really do this? That's very lame. -_-

I do know that with my cable modem, I can't just (for example) unplug my router and plug in my PowerBook directly. I have to power cycle the modem to get it to work. But nothing more than that.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
Do some ISP's really do this? That's very lame. -_-
It was a fairly common problem reported on Apple's AirPort forum soon after the AirPort was introduced. In the early days of broadband, ISPs wanted users to pay more for their 'premium package' which included a ISP provided router and/or more IPs etc. MAC address registering was/is how they made/make it more difficult to simply hook up your own NAT router to share a single IP#.

These days most ISP still offer a 'premium package' but seem to be a lot less coercive about it.

-- asxless

Administrator
Jan 21, 2006, 10:08 AM

Call tech support. Tell them you changed computers (or tell them the truth-that you want to use your AirPort so you can surf from the sofa) and give them the MAC address of the AirPort unit. You should know that the MAC addresses for AirPort equipment are from a separate sequence from those for Apple's ethernet network cards, so if there's anyone on the ball at your cable provider, they'll know that the new address is from an AirPort device-if your customer agreement doesn't allow you to use wireless network equipment on your cable modem, you'll be out of luck.

OR...you could drop about $30 and buy a cheap wired router-almost all of them support MAC cloning. You would simply turn off the "router functions" of the AirPort device (easily done) and viola! you're done. We'll even walk you through the <sarcasm on> extremely painful and tedious process of connecting the router between the cable modem and AirPort device (whatever one you have).</sarcsam off>

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Admin Emeritus
Jan 24, 2006, 12:41 PM

AirPort base stations most certainly do allow MAC address cloning.

tooki

Administrator
Jan 24, 2006, 07:01 PM

Before responding to this thread (and again today) I searched Apple's knowledge base thoroughly. I couldn't find anything about cloning the MAC with an AirPort Base Station. Am I just looking for the wrong thing? The term "clone" doesn't seem to be part of the knowledge base, at least in any networking context.

Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 07:48 PM

AFAIK the most pertinent / useful item in Apple's Knowledge Base is

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106836

"AirPort Base Station: ISP provisioning may prevent Internet connection via cable or DSL"

which describes the problem posed in the original post in some detail. Then it goes on to describe "How to resolve a provisioning issue". Interestingly, it does NOT describe the process of MAC cloning.

Perhaps tooki can enlighten us all on how to do that

-- asxless in iLand

Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 12:46 AM

the reason that you guys are having a problem finding out how to clone a mac address, is because only hackers want to clone a mac address, that way anything they do on the internet can not be traced to their actual computer, the mac address is the most basic level of addressing in the 7 layer networking perimid, its a lvl 1 address a physical address, i honetly dont know how to clone a mac address my self, so i cant help, but i was in the it field for a while, so i do have a decent amount of corperate networking in my history..

i would say to the orignal poster, call the cable company, and tell them, that you want them to update your mac address, and to release the current one, then reboot your cable modem, and plug in your router, this way the cable network will pick up the mac address of the router and save that in its data base, i had to do this at my last house, sense there comcasts database servers suck..

for the rest of you, if you really want to learn how to clone a mac addres you will have to look in much less scrouplusl websites than apple.com

i hope this helps someone, or clears somthing up anyhow.

Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dakkon
...for the rest of you, if you really want to learn how to clone a mac addres you will have to look in much less scrouplusl websites than apple.com
Like this Networking forum on MacNN where you might see detailed instructions on how to clone a MAC address with a LinkSYS router. Cover you eyes now children....

1 Open the LinkSYS admin web interface and type in the Admin password.
2 Click on the Advanced Tab to reveal the 'hidden tab' labeled "MAC addr. Clone".
3 Type the MAC address you wish to clone into those 6 little boxes.
4 Become a "hacker" by clicking on the Apply button

-- asxless in iLand

Administrator
Jan 30, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dakkon
the reason that you guys are having a problem finding out how to clone a mac address, is because only hackers want to clone a mac address, that way anything they do on the internet can not be traced to their actual computer, the mac address is the most basic level of addressing in the 7 layer networking perimid, its a lvl 1 address a physical address, i honetly dont know how to clone a mac address my self, so i cant help, but i was in the it field for a while, so i do have a decent amount of corperate networking in my history..

i would say to the orignal poster, call the cable company, and tell them, that you want them to update your mac address, and to release the current one, then reboot your cable modem, and plug in your router, this way the cable network will pick up the mac address of the router and save that in its data base, i had to do this at my last house, sense there comcasts database servers suck..

for the rest of you, if you really want to learn how to clone a mac addres you will have to look in much less scrouplusl websites than apple.com

i hope this helps someone, or clears somthing up anyhow.
Balderdash! There are entirely valid reasons to clone a MAC that have nothing to do with hiding anything. In this case, the need to clone the MAC is related to the inefficient and user-unfriendly way some cable modems work-they only allow ONE computer connection, despite the lack of such a requirement in user agreements. Further, this limits the customer's ability to troubleshoot connectivity problems to the modem itself.

MacNN is NOT Apple.com. We are, however, extremely scrupulous. Ask for how to get around valid limits placed on something, and we'll boot you off the boards. Want to know how to pirate music, movies or software? Take a hike! We do NOT tolerate such behavior, and not simply because it could bring down unwelcome attention on us. We do not tolerate it because it is WRONG. Cloning a MAC address is NOT wrong, it is simply a way to get poorly designed equipment to operate the way it should.

Admin Emeritus
Jan 31, 2006, 08:10 PM

I could be going insane, but I am pretty sure that MAC address cloning is a function that can be set in the AirPort administration application.

And yes, there are legitimate reasons for cloning MAC addresses, all of them having to do with getting around shortsighted ISPs' MAC-keying. (Some ISPs require you to tell them the IP address that you want to use. Others don't require you to pre-register the MAC address, but their systems are programmed to reject the MAC addresses of routers. Especially in the latter case, it's useful to be able to clone the MAC of a Mac or PC computer on the network.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules