Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > FTP Server & Airport Extreme

FTP Server & Airport Extreme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 06:26 PM

Ok I've had an FTP server setup on my Mac Pro with PureFTPD for quite some time. I upgraded my router to the new 802.11n Airport Extreme Base Station, which is a really nice router from what I've seen so far.

Ever since I've upgraded to it I can no longer FTP into my server. At first I thought it might be my Mac Pro, so I reconfigured some things and was able to login with my main account information, instead of the account information I put in through PureFTPD. So after that I decided it had to be my configuration.

I next installed IIS on my last XP machine in the house and decided to use it as a backup server for all the computers in the house, mainly because Mozy works better on it and I have an unlimited account through Mozy and I just mirror all my Macs to a backup drive hooked to the XP machine. But even IIS won't work, the web part of it works just fine, but when I try to FTP into it I get the same errors.

Yes the XP box is setup with a static internal IP.
Yes port mapping is configured on the Extreme with 21, 22, 42000-42100.

So as you guys can see I'm basically stuck at this point. I've installed few different FTP servers on the XP box to try and see if that helps, but it doesn't.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to why it's not working or what I can try that might resolve this issue, I really need to get this back online as it's used to backup my server located in Texas for my company.
Mac Pro | 2.66Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 7GB RAM | Dual 250GB OS (Striped RAID) | 500GB Repository | 1.5TB Time Machine | 80GB WindowsXP Pro HD
MacBook | 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HD
MikeBowden.com: Blogging

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 06:38 PM

Strange, FTP works with my Airport.

BTW, you might get more responses if you posted in the right forum.
Signature depreciated.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 06:41 PM

What's wrong with hardware troubleshooting?

I figure it to be an airport issue, that's hardware.
Mac Pro | 2.66Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 7GB RAM | Dual 250GB OS (Striped RAID) | 500GB Repository | 1.5TB Time Machine | 80GB WindowsXP Pro HD

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 07:09 PM

Ok while on the XP box just now I tried ftp://localhost/ and logged in with the account I setup and I was able to login perfectly through IE. So this tells me that it's an airport problem, it's not mapping the connections correctly.

When I try logging in through the DyDNS server I get connection refused in Transmit, while a buddy of mine gets a 500 could not bind socket error on his windows machine trying to login to it through IE the same way I did, but with the DyDNS address which points to my external IP address and is updated...

Anyone got any ideas of why airport is doing this and how I can resolve it?

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike.Bowden View Post
What's wrong with hardware troubleshooting?

I figure it to be an airport issue, that's hardware.
If its a Airport issue its networking.
Signature depreciated.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 07:47 PM

Oh well I guess that would be a better section for it to go in, didn't notice a networking section when I posted it. Sorry

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 09:20 PM

Ok, something I've figured out. Even though I've got the router mapping to 10.0.1.2, which is the XP's IP address, when I try FTPing with my IP it's routing the connections to my Mac Pro, where the original FTP server was located. Could there be a reason for this?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 09:49 PM

This has been resolved.

I restarted the router a few times and it started to map to the correct internal IP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules