Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help adding Time Capsule & Airport Express to existing network

Help adding Time Capsule & Airport Express to existing network
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2009, 05:04 AM

I have a dual-band airport extreme router setup in a closet on the bottom floor of my 3-floor apartment, and I'm in need of some help figuring out how to go about adding some additional networking gear to my existing system

I have a 1TB Time Capsule which I'd like incorporate into my existing network. I have an available ethernet cable on the top floor of my apartment which I would like to connect the Time Capsule to so that I can quickly backup my MacPro (connected to network directly via ethernet), and so if possible I can extend the range of the Wireless-N network that my dual-band router is currently providing (because the signal on the top floor of my apartment isn't as great as I'd like it to be). I'd like to have the Time Capsule configured to only use the Wireless-N network so that my Macbook pro and my wife's Macbook Air will be backup to it via wireless-n speeds at all times.

Upon setting up my time capsule, which of the following options would I choose to go with:

If I decide to have the Time Capsule "Join the existing wireless network" (which to me would seem the logical choice), which of the following options would I then choose to go with:

If I choose the option to connect the time capsule to my network using ethernet to extend my current network (which again would seem the logical choice to me), which of the following options would I then choose to go with:

** THIS HAS ALWAYS CONFUSED ME...DO I CHOOSE THE DEVICE OR THE NETWORK? (i.e. do I choose the dual-band airport, or do I choose the Wireless-N network):

Now, assuming I choose the Wireless-N network listed in the previous screenshot, Would I then choose the top option listed below:

Can someone please fill me in on whether or not the steps I've outlined above are correct or not? ...and if they are not correct, what steps would need to be changed in order to achieve my desired results?

Also, without requiring that I add even more screenshots and step-by-steps to this thread, would someone please fill me in on how I would go about adding an airport express to my network to extend the range of my wireless-G network signal (that's currently being provided by my dual-band router)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Jul 9, 2009, 09:09 PM

Woah. Well, it looks like the steps you've outlined are correct for what you want to do. Have you tried it and it's not working? There's no harm in experimenting, but you do have it right. I think you could pick either the network or the device in step 3. You say you "have an available ethernet cable on the top floor of my apartment." Do you mean that connects down to the Airport extreme? If so, then your steps are correct.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You say you "have an available ethernet cable on the top floor of my apartment." Do you mean that connects down to the Airport extreme? If so, then your steps are correct.
That is what I meant, and I have since tried the setup I've outlined and it worked without a hitch!

One unanswered question I have though -

Is there any way to use an airport express to extend the range of my Wireless-G signal on the top floor of my apartment if I connect it via ethernet directly to one of the 3 available LAN ports on the Time Capsule?

As stated in my previous post, the Time Capsule is currently configured for Wireless-N only, though it's WAN port is also connected via ethernet cable directly to the Dual-Band Airport Extreme on the bottom floor of my Apt. I thought perhaps there was a way to connect my airport expres to one of the Time Capsule's available LAN ports to extend the Wireless-G signal strength/range (because as of now, the dual-band router in my basement closet isn't providing a strong enough Wireless-G signal on the top floor).

Any thoughts?

Forum Links
Forum Rules