Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Connecting iMAC to Time Machine via Ethernet Cable

Connecting iMAC to Time Machine via Ethernet Cable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2009, 09:46 PM

I am trying to restore my data from Time Capsule due to having h/drive replaced in my MAC. I can't do it wirelessly the migration assistant simply doesn't seem to recognise the back up or give it to me as an option to transfer. I was told to connect via Ethernet however I cannot get the MAC to recognise the Timecapsule. It is connected wirelessly and I have the ethernet cable attached to WAN (<-->) outlet in MAC and have tried both options on timecapsule. I am new to apple software and hardware and have no idea where to start. I have 100GB of data, photos, videos and music that I am very concerned I can't retrieve

Jul 21, 2009, 10:12 PM

Welcome to our forums!

First, just for clarification, you have a Mac (short for Macintosh from Apple), not a MAC (referring to the hardware address of a networking interface). This is a subtle, but important difference.

Second, have you tried simply selecting the Time Capsule as your Time Machine drive in the Time Machine preferences, opening up the Time Machine application, and simply copying the items over or using the restore option? This should work wirelessly, though it will be faster over an ethernet connection, which should be connected between the ethernet port on your iMac and one of the ethernet ports on the Time Capsule (not the TC's WAN port; that's for connecting to your DSL or cable modem).

Or if you want to restore your whole system, follow the steps below (directly from Apple help):

o recover your entire system:

Connect your Time Machine backup disk to your computer.

If you’re restoring your system because of a problem with your startup disk, make sure the disk has been repaired or replaced.

Insert your Mac OS X Install disc, and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.

NOTE: If you are using Remote Install Mac OS X, make sure your computer is set up for remote installation, and then complete steps 3 through 7.

Using Remote Install Mac OS X

In the Installer, choose Utilities > Restore System From Backup.

In the Restore Your System dialog, click Continue.

Select your Time Machine backup volume.

Select the Time Machine backup you want to restore.

Follow the onscreen instructions.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2009, 09:27 PM

i have tried the options you suggest wirelessly. However none have been successful. I have connected using the ethernet ports however unable to see any connection to the time capsule, it doesn't show as a disc in finder etc... is there any 'search' function that allows me to search for hardware devices?

Forum Links
Forum Rules