Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme/Wireless Ethernet Printing

Airport Extreme/Wireless Ethernet Printing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2009, 01:41 AM

I just upgraded my router to an Airport Extreme. With that upgrade, I am no longer able to print wirelessly to my HP Laserjet 5000. Here's the configuration:
PowerBook running 10.4.11 (with no problem connection to the internet wirelessly)
MacBookPro running 10.5.?? (with no problem connection to the internet wirelessly)
HP Laserjet 5000 plugged into one of the ethernet ports on back of Airport Extreme

This all worked yesterday with an old LinkSys router configured the same way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-MC

Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 04:29 AM

Have you checked that the printer is set up in Airport Utility?
Does it even appear there, i.e. is it recognized by the Airport Extreme hardware?
Have you shut off and restarted the printer?
Have you restarted the Airport Extreme?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The only thing I can find regarding printers talks about USB printers - so I'm not sure what to do about setting it up in Airport Utility.
The printer does not appear to be recognized by the Airport Hardware.
Both the printer and Airport Extreme have been restarted on numerous occasions.

Hopefully this information will help us narrow down this problem.

Thanks!

Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 10:40 AM

I'm sorry, I misread your question and thought you wanted to hook it up to the USB port.

If it's an Ethernet printer it should be fairly straightforward to get it to work. First make sure the Ethernet port you're connecting the printer to is actually working. Then attach the printer to that port and configure the printer to receive an IP through DHCP. The printer's manual should have details on that. Then, to verify that that worked, you should check AP Utility. It will tell you if the printer has been recognized as a wired client and been given an IP by the DHCP server running on the AP Extreme.

Jul 30, 2009, 10:49 AM

You should also be able to see the pritner's IP address on its front panel so you can try pinging it from a computer. If you can ping the printer, it's visible on the network, and you should be able to print to it. How are you setting up the printer in the Print & Fax prefs?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules