Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Unable to connect AirPort Extreme to existing wireless network

Unable to connect AirPort Extreme to existing wireless network
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2011, 09:23 PM

Hi there
I have a existing wireless network created by my Billion BiPAC 7800N Modem Router. In another room, I would like to setup my Airport Extreme to wirelessly connect to my existing network so that I can have several devices connecting to my AirPort Extreme via ethernet.

I've attempted to configure my AirPort Extreme via the AirPort Utility under numerous different options, although none seem to be able to successfully connect to my existing wireless network. I receive errors that it cannot connect the wireless network, or cannot find other Apple Wi-Fi base stations (when using WDS), even though the wireless network name appears in the list of available networks to connect to. I'm able to successfully connect other computers to the existing wireless network under both WPA, WPA2, or 'none' security options, but the AirPort Extreme doesn't seem to want to.

Is someone able to point me in the right direction as how best to go about achieving what I'm after?

Thanks,
Awbrys

Sep 12, 2011, 12:24 PM

What settings did you select? The AE should be set to extend a wireless network.

Also, this is not, IMO, the best solution. I have a similar scenario. I used powerline networking because the performance from extending the wifi wasn't very good.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

awbrys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2011, 08:55 PM

I've selected "Extend a wireless network", then selected the Wireless Network Name of my Billion 7800N, and then selected "WPA/WPA2 Personal" security and entered my wireless password. I then click UPDATE and the AE updates the router, after which it then reports the following error:

"This Apple Wi_Fi base station was uanble to extend the wireless network. Make sure the wireless network you're trying to extend was setup and is working correctly, that you entered a matching wireless network passwsord into this device, and that this device is in range of the wireless network."

I've checked all of the above and they don't seem to be the cause of the issue. Again, I've managed to successfully connect my laptop to the wireless network from the same position as the AE, so the problem can't be with the Billion 7800N?

awbrys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2011, 08:57 PM

I'm also running the latest version of the AE firmware, and running on wireless Channel 1.

Sep 13, 2011, 04:37 AM

Try temporarily disabling wireless security and see if it connects.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

awbrys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Try temporarily disabling wireless security and see if it connects.

Steve
I'd already tried that too, but without any success. I still receive the same error :-(

awbrys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2011, 11:10 PM

Anyone else have any ideas?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2011, 08:36 PM

apple support? you should have 90 days from purchase to get free support. I just had to use that option for adding pc's to my newly set up Time Capsule network. The pc's were very very slow loading to load. Their suggestion was to change to different channels, which seemed to help a little. The big difference for us was standing the time capsule on its side rather than laying it flat.

I'm installing my AX next to extend our network to another room - hopefully I won't have the same problem as yours!

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2011, 09:53 PM

In my (not insubstantial) experience, extending wifi networks is best done with all Apple devices. Only once have I even heard of someone using a device other than Apple to successfully run WDS and while they had it running for a while, it eventually crapped out and never worked again. I have spent hours trying to resurrect that 'known working' setup.
Its supposed to be a standard, there are a few boxes including Netgear and the BT Hubs in the UK which are pretty good boxes in general but when it comes to WDS they suck. Apple absolutely rules the school for extended wifi networks. I have even switched off wifi features on new high end routers and added AP Extremes/Expresses just so I could extend the networks before now.

Even then, I'm not sure what you want to do will work. Its common to have an ethernet backbone with various different wifi access points, you are essentially doing the opposite. There is no theoretical reason it can't be done, but I have a feeling it just doesn't work that way around.
If you want to keep your settings simple and your network robust, just run a Cat6 cable and use a switch. Its a pain in the ass, but once its done, its done. Drill a few holes, hammer in a few staples, easy.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

awbrys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2011, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I did suspect that the problem might have been an "non-Apple device conflict" thats causing the issue, even though the AE is supposed to be compatible with any wireless draft-N standard :-(

Nancyimacpad, let me know how you go with installing your AX to extend your network to another room and what settings you used.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by awbrys View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did suspect that the problem might have been an "non-Apple device conflict" thats causing the issue, even though the AE is supposed to be compatible with any wireless draft-N standard :-(

Nancyimacpad, let me know how you go with installing your AX to extend your network to another room and what settings you used.
Actually I don't think this is Apple's fault. Extended networks use WDS which is supposed to be a standard but while you find the odd router that claims to support it, repeaters and things are rarer and for the most part cheap and unreliable. Standard or not, Apple's implementation works very well indeed. I've never found another that does.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules