Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Bt HomeHub and Netgear Routers

Bt HomeHub and Netgear Routers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2012, 01:28 PM

I have a BT HomeHub and a Netgear router/modem. The Homehub is link to the ADSL line and one Apple Mac. An ethernet cable goes to a switch router and then down a bother long ethernet cable to the Netgear router, connected to TV, Apple Mac, AlertMe security system etc.

My question is: Given that the BT HomeHub router cannot work with Static IP addresses, can I still use the Netgear router with static IPs ? I want to stream video from a webcam on the Netgear wireless network, and be able to access it remotely. I do not know if the static IPs can be "seen" through the BT HomeHub router.
Any help appreciated!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2012, 07:29 PM

For the Netgear router to use a static IP or a dynamic DNS service it needs to be running as the modem/gateway to the internet for your network. If I understand your setup correctly, this will not work for you as things are. Does your homehub not support dynamic DNS? Most routers do these days and homehubs have pretty good feature sets.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules