Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > an older wireless router needed?

an older wireless router needed?
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2012, 04:16 PM

i want to hook up an imac g3 and possibly an emac g4 to the internet wirelessly. both machines take the original airport card, not the extreme version. will i have to get an older wireless router? any suggestions? the router will also be plugged in by ethernet to an imac g4. thanks.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2012, 07:53 AM

the G3 came with an option Airport card that supported 802.11b, so you'll want to get an access point that has 802.11b.

although your best bet is to get a cheap USB wifi adapter with 802.11g. since the USB ports are 1.1, it won't be reach 802.11g speeds but you'll avoid having to have a 802.11b device on your network.

the 1.0 GHz G4 eMac supports an Extreme card so that would use 802.11g as well

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2012, 02:45 PM

I didn't think that b devices dragged the speed of g networks down. I know both will drag down the speed of n networks.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Dec 9, 2012, 04:21 AM

b devices absolutely crush the speed of everything down to b speeds, which is 11 Mbit PHY and even less actual. n-devices will at least be faster than g even if there are g-devices on the network, and you can usually move n to the 5 GHz band, where there is no interference. Too bad my old iPhone doesn't do 5 GHz.

Anyway: USB Wifi that works with older OS X. One way to do that cheaply is to see if you can find a device on this list and then get a driver from the chipset manufacturer here. That worked very well for me back in the day when I did this, but I suspect that many of those devices are EOL by now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2012, 03:28 PM

thanks for all the help so far. my next door neighbor will soon be selling his router, a linksys wrt110. anyone know if this will work? i do know that original airport cards do not work with wpa2 security. any other options?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2012, 06:01 AM

Just get a decent refurb router from somewhere for $30. That way you'll have support and a warranty.

Mind you, for a G3 iMac I personally wouldn't bother. G4 Macs are slow enough as it is. Even just light surfing sucks on G4s now.

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2012, 05:49 PM

the neighbor is going to let me have his router next week and he says we can run it with no encryption. and then we can set it up to work only with our own ip addresses so no one else can get on it.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
the neighbor is going to let me have his router next week and he says we can run it with no encryption. and then we can set it up to work only with our own ip addresses so no one else can get on it.
This is a bad idea. MAC filtering on an open network is a laughable defense. Find the bare minimum encryption your oldest machine will run and at LEAST use that. Don't run it unencrypted. It's incredibly easy to spoof those MAC addresses.

P
Dec 16, 2012, 12:53 PM

The original Airport card apparently support the original WPA if upgraded as far as they go. WPA is not too shabby security-wise, even if there are attacks against it now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules