Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > LAN Browser History Tracking

LAN Browser History Tracking
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2013, 06:13 PM

So I have a customer that has a small office of Macs. Each user sometimes uses Safari, sometimes uses Firefox. They've had issues with people deleting their browser history and other things. They want a solution so just keep a basic history of everyone. So I got to thinking, what about a proxy? They have a Mac mini server. What about running all web traffic through a proxy on there? And then having a web based interface for browsing this history library. And tying them to specific IP addresses to see which computers hit which websites. Does anything like this exist?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2013, 11:03 PM

I don't know what your budget is like but take a look at Kerio Control. That will log every site anyone visits for you. Its available as a hardware box or as a VM software license.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2013, 02:59 AM

Yeah that seems like way more overkill than what I'm looking for. I was thinking more along the lines of a simple passthrough web proxy that logs all http requests to say a mysql database. And then another pretty simple web based browser of the database.

Another neat feature I was thinking about was this: In system preferences, you can set a username and password for the proxy. This proxy would be behind the LAN so I wouldn't need that. But if I could configure the proxy to ignore the given password, and use the given username as the 'user' attached to each request record, that would make setup and organizing records super easy.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2013, 03:00 AM

It just occurred to me, that I think I can set up all of that right in apache. Except for the browser, I'd have to make that myself. But that's easy enough.

Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2013, 03:06 PM

You also need to configure the router to not allow any web traffic that's not going through the proxy. Otherwise people can just not use the proxy.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2013, 04:04 PM

I don't think that would be necessary. I think setting up the proxy in system preferences would be enough. I don't think any users even know what a proxy is. Plus with a per-user history browser, you'd know right away if someone did remove the proxy, because suddenly their history would be empty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules