Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Laptop cannot connect to internet

Laptop cannot connect to internet
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2014, 02:55 PM

Funny, just got back from a trip and my macbook air was connecting fine at hotels, but wont connect from my living room. The green light is on ok, (apple extreme/ espress).
Sign comes up saying another computer is using IP, but that would be desktop?
The checkmark is good for the network/ password, so I'm lost.

P
Jan 6, 2014, 03:44 PM

Have you tried renewing your DHCP lease? The button to do so is in System Prefs -> Network and then Advanced. IF that doesn't work, try restarting the router.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2014, 04:27 PM

thanks, P, renew, you mean on the laptop?
What is the correct method of restarting router (bit while express), just unplug cords, replug in?
No worry about the IP address being used by another computer - is that just referring to I have desktop and laptop?

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2014, 12:24 AM

P, unplugging the router worked, thanks!

P
Jan 7, 2014, 04:02 AM

Great to hear that it is working for you.

Renewing the lease is on the laptop, yes. DHCP means that the router gives you an IP address, so if you have a duplicate address, that means that the router messed up. Either you ask the router for a new address (that's what the renewing is all about) or you just restart and it will reassign all addresses. Routers are usually stable enough little boxes that one can just pull the plug to restart.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2014, 02:56 PM

thanks again P.

Forum Links
Forum Rules