Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [!] Sidebar Background

[!] Sidebar Background
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 10:11 AM

Modifying the background color of the side bar.

Perhaps, previous to come out, but when the data of Finder is fumbled, the part which appoints the background color of the side bar even accidentally was found. With the notion that where you say, praying the fact that color modification of this part is included in ThemePark, again the memorandum.

In trial it tried modifying in the grey.

0029EF00 inside Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder

From IZA: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...x.htm&lp=ja_en

Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2004, 10:39 AM

I would love to do this, but I am a scared of what would happen if I messed up. I've been hacking iTunes like this for weeks now without any major problems, but I have had the odd occasion where a small mistake left iTunes unable to run, forcing me to revert to the last backup I made. Of course I would take the same precautions with the Finder.app, but should the finder be unable to run I would not know how to go about applying such a backup without the Finder's front end. I assume there is a safe way of doing this.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 11:15 AM

leave a terminal window open while you are working on your finder.app and use the terminal to revert to the backedup finder.app?

Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
leave a terminal window open while you are working on your finder.app and use the terminal to revert to the backedup finder.app?
Ack!!

I can't do that terminal stuff. Never been shown, not too interested in learning either. I'm sure it's very easy once you've been shown how. I am a 100% GUI freak. This is why I haunt GUI forums!

iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2004, 12:10 PM

Couldn't you download Path Finder and have that running while you poke around?

EDIT: And I would imagine Butler (through shortcut or contextual menu), QuickSilver, and LaunchBar would all be able to launch the backup Finder as well, as long as they had it indexed.

Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 01:55 PM

Shape Shifter should be able to implement that, it would just have to intercept some finder code.

Chris

Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 02:00 PM

Here's my mod.

Forum Regular
May 7, 2004, 02:04 PM

All that hex editing stuff feels like the days when i tried to hack the OS9 system with ResEdit. hehe. (i didn't know about Kaleidoscope)

Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 02:14 PM

Hopefully in the near future IZA will figure out how to change the column background color in the Finder. How does he figure this stuff out? That's amazing.

Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Here's my mod.

It looks like Aqua?
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 09:12 PM

Hopefully in the near future IZA will figure out how to change the column background color in the Finder. How does he figure this stuff out? That's amazing.
Who knows... the guy's a friggin' genius, and I think we all owe him a beer for his splendid work. Well, at least you guys, since I'm not of legal age to buy booze.

Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:

It looks like Aqua?
Look carefully -- The background of the Sidebar is the same light salmon color as the Finder window background.

Senior User
May 7, 2004, 09:20 PM

Well, none of the bits near that address seem to control other colors, unfortunately... I tried changing the 6-word values at 0029DC74, 0029DC82, 0029DC88, 0029E064, 0029E240, and 0029E282. One of them appears to control the background color of column view, but it only updates to that color in certain cases; usually, it just updates to white. My suspicion (totally unsupported, of course) is that the list view in the Finder is a standard NSTable or something of the sort, and therefore the background color is only hard-coded in the libraries for that class; if you changed it, you'd also change the background color of every other NSTable, which may or may not be what you want.

May 8, 2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
I would love to do this, but I am a scared of what would happen if I messed up. I've been hacking iTunes like this for weeks now without any major problems, but I have had the odd occasion where a small mistake left iTunes unable to run, forcing me to revert to the last backup I made. Of course I would take the same precautions with the Finder.app, but should the finder be unable to run I would not know how to go about applying such a backup without the Finder's front end. I assume there is a safe way of doing this.
Just a thought: I partitioned my PowerBook and then cloned my main OS onto one of the other partitions for just such experimentation. Of course, that would be more trouble than it's worth if you don't already have a second partition set up. I suppose installing Panther on a FireWire drive (or partition) and booting from there would be another option.

Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 03:33 AM

I'll say! Cool stuff.
click one

Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 12:04 PM

The reason I'm not scared to do this is...

I have a small network in my house... and I can accesss my PowerBook from my iMac... so if I DID accidentally make a mistake... I could fix it from my iMac and replace the mistake with the backup file. Easy as pie. :-D

Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
Look carefully -- The background of the Sidebar is the same light salmon color as the Finder window background.
I can see that now, but I had to check it out with the DigitalColor Meter first!

If I went to all the trouble to do this, I would certainly make the change a bit more dramatic than that! It also seems strange to me that Spaztik has gone as far as to hack the hex code of the finder.app, but everything else in that setup is stock (except for the hard drive icon). Aqua, Aqua folders, even default icon size and spacing as far as I can remember!

Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 01:32 PM

this is great news.. get it in themepark!!! calabi needs it!

Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 03:14 PM

Umm... why can't I use Aqua? Is there something wrong with it. Plus, it's actually Aqua Extreme, and I was just hacking it to see if I could get it to work. I didn't want a dark color.

Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 03:36 PM

Great find! Can't wait for someone to find out how to change the background of the column view.

Now my Finder with TiSkin looks great:

Linky

Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2004, 04:36 PM

Next problem: Text color.

Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
this is great news.. get it in themepark!!! calabi needs it!
Indeed! Columns color would be nice too.
click one

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 10:03 PM

Don't you think this would be more exciting than this? Another breakthrough in themeing technology and nobody is very excited about it. Did everyone just shrug and say "Hey, what do ya know *yawn*"... Come on people.

You're all fired! Pack your stuff... you've got 10 minutes.

May 10, 2004, 01:24 AM

It's great, but most end users just wait for it to be implemented easily, not reposting the same excited sentiment thousands of times.

That said, this kicks butt.
I have no credentials whatsoever to post here.

Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 07:03 AM

The Spaz is right - this is a breakthrough. This thread should be 100 posts long by now at least. How come Smeger hasn't had a word in yet? Obviously this needs to be implemented in TP & SS urgently.

Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 08:44 AM

I agree with Ozzpot for agreeing with me.

Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
The Spaz is right - this is a breakthrough. This thread should be 100 posts long by now at least. How come Smeger hasn't had a word in yet? Obviously this needs to be implemented in TP & SS urgently.
Oh, I'm most definitely paying attention. And my copy of iTunes is looking pretty funky right now.

But this method of customization isn't usable in a "for the masses" theme changing program. Obviously, the hex offsets are only valid for one particular release of iTunes or Finder or whatever app it is you're modding. So, my options for doing this style of customization would be:
  • When a new version of iTunes is released, iTunes crashes until ShapeShifter or the theme is updated (uh, nope)
  • When a new version of iTunes is released, it's not modded until ShapeShifter updates itself over the web (I'd spend the rest of my life figuring out offsets and never get anything else accomplished and would kill myself from boredom, and it would quickly become a maintenance nightmare as different versions of apps were released - uhh, nope)
  • When iTunes is launched, search the executable for the hex strings (takes a long time, there may be multiple hits, or if the app's been updated, I might wind up accidentally replacing executable code with a different color, leading to a crash. Uhhh, nope.)

But this thread has inspired me to start banging on iTunes and Finder in earnest (Carbon's much tougher to deal with than Cocoa), which is something I've been meaning to do for a long time. So, there's been some other progress, unrelated to the method people are talking about here.

</hinting>
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 12:37 PM

I can see now that this would be impractical to implement. I guess we can't have everything in one click of a mouse!

Speaking of iTunes; I have asked this before but it has been ignored or misinterpreted, but have you (smeger) or anyone else worked out the hex addresses of the playlist pane (the one at the left side), or the browse pane (the one at the top) in iTunes 4.5?

The rest of my iTunes looks awesome - NEOS skinned and bedecked in dark gray and sky blue - but these two panes are still garish white. Somebody must know the hexes, but they're not even listed in Takashi's guide. They are modifiable aren't they?

Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2004, 12:20 AM

When I first moved across to osx, I found the white window background too cold and stark, so I created a brushed aluminium image with an inner drop shadow (top left edges), completing the 3d window effect that Apple was obviously creating everywhere else.
The fact that Apple included the built in background image feature, suggests that they believed it was an important part of the Finder.
When first installed, the sidebar background is an identical stark white as the window background.
Apple decided the window background needed to have the ability to be varied.
However, they 'forgot' to give the same facilities to the side bar.
I believe this is an error on Apples part, and hope that they will be correcting it themeselves. The side bar needs (to complete the aqua interface) the same versatility as the window background.

So, please Apple... may OS X.4 have included in it's 'view options', the same ability to vary the side bar background.
=)
D . R . A . G . O . N
. .
T . O . N . G . U . E

Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2004, 02:27 AM

Creators of Third party gui Apps must have to play a bit of a juggling act.
Why spend a lot of time adding a feature, when Apple could so easily add the same feature in their next upgrade. However, If the third partys hadn't created their apps, then Apple wouldn't know of the groundswell of interest in that particular feature, and therefore probably wouldn't have added it themselves.

Hopefully, all the cool features of Shapeshifter will one day be a part of the Mac OS...
and much more. =)
D . R . A . G . O . N
. .
T . O . N . G . U . E

Senior User
May 14, 2004, 07:18 PM

Hey does anyone know the color code for the "green" background in ProLCD? I can get pretty close with the color palette, but I'd like it to be exact.

Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2004, 07:28 PM

RGB = 205, 212, 178
Hex = CDD4B2

Open DigitalColor Meter in the Utilities folder...

Senior User
May 15, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
RGB = 205, 212, 178
Hex = CDD4B2

Open DigitalColor Meter in the Utilities folder...
Thank you.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 06:24 PM

Anybody know how to change the Sidebar colour in 10.3.4? It seems like the address was changed
And as Izawa gave up he doesnt update the site anymore

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2004, 02:42 PM

I just found it

Have fun!

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 12:09 AM

Thank you so much. I had been looking for a way to go about it for awhile now, but wasn't brave enough to venture into those resources without some guidance.

Excuse the poor image quality, but here's the result...just what I wanted, and I only botched up Finder really badly once. Pretty good considering I had never used HexEdit before, but thankfully my days in Unix paid off and I was able to download and install Path Finder on the fly (hey, my Unix experience wasn't all of THAT great...I needed some help from Path Finder) in order to put things back in order and make a second go at changing the colors.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 02:59 AM

Well, 10.3.5 broke this again. Anyone have any tips for how to go about finding it again?

Nevermind. A little plodding around and I was able to find it already.
( Last edited by Anubis IV; Aug 10, 2004 at 03:39 AM. )
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 10:01 AM

Im updating right now, the first I would have done would have been searching the sidebar colour, but as you did it already I will just update my site (damn I still have to do new screenshots, I know those suxx at the moment)

Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 12:19 AM

THIS IS AWSOME!

Forum Links
Forum Rules