Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Replacing Finder’s toolbar buttons…

Replacing Finder’s toolbar buttons…
Thread Tools
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 12:25 PM
 
Can anybody tell me how to change the Finder’s toolbar buttons in 10.4?



Using a demetallifized Finder, I would like to replace them with a non-sunken version (like in open-/save-dialogs):



Opening "Finder.rsrc" in ThemePark, I can only find the gear- and path-buttons -- back/forward- and views-buttons are missing. Would be great if someone could tell me which resources/files I need to edit.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cupertino
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 01:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by p.h..i...l....
Can anybody tell me how to change the Finder’s toolbar buttons in 10.4?


Opening "Finder.rsrc" in ThemePark, I can only find the gear- and path-buttons -- back/forward- and views-buttons are missing. Would be great if someone could tell me which resources/files I need to edit.
Finder button backgrounds are at Themes -> (your variant) -> Elements -> Global Elements -> Segment Buttons -> Large Metal Segment Buttons
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 02:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by digitaljames
Finder button backgrounds are at Themes -> (your variant) -> Elements -> Global Elements -> Segment Buttons -> Large Metal Segment Buttons

for beginners like me It’s very difficult to know what’s what with so many elements. Is there a manual that specifies which element stands for in the GUI? I saw some guidelines in TP but a more complete graphical manual would really help.

thanks
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cupertino
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 02:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by ZXspectrum
for beginners like me It’s very difficult to know what’s what with so many elements. Is there a manual that specifies which element stands for in the GUI? I saw some guidelines in TP but a more complete graphical manual would really help.

thanks
No such thing to my knowledge....
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 03:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by p.h..i...l....
Can anybody tell me how to change the Finder’s toolbar buttons in 10.4?



Using a demetallifized Finder...
Did I miss something??? How did you get a demetallifized Finder? Does the Unsanity app still work in Tiger? Fess up dude, cause I hate metal!
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 03:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacDog
Did I miss something??? How did you get a demetallifized Finder? Does the Unsanity app still work in Tiger? Fess up dude, cause I hate metal!

it doesnt to the best of my knowledge. you have to do it yourself.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 03:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by digitaljames
Finder button backgrounds are at Themes -> (your variant) -> Elements -> Global Elements -> Segment Buttons -> Large Metal Segment Buttons
Thanks, but: I’m not using a theme with ShapeShifter, I used Max’s SmoothStripes installer and now I want to edit my resources manually without having to use any "themes".


Originally Posted by ZXspectrum
it doesnt to the best of my knowledge. you have to do it yourself.
It does. Use this one, works without any problems: http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000267.php
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 03:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by It does. Use this one, works without any problems: [url
http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000267.php[/url]
strange it doesn't work for me but i am on my way for a clean install...
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cupertino
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 05:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by p.h..i...l....
Thanks, but: I’m not using a theme with ShapeShifter, I used Max’s SmoothStripes installer and now I want to edit my resources manually without having to use any "themes".
What are you editing the extras.rsrc files with? Themepark? It's still large metal segment buttons.....
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2005, 05:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by digitaljames
What are you editing the extras.rsrc files with? Themepark? It's still large metal segment buttons.....
Ahh, i think i got it now… thank you :-)
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2005, 06:50 AM
 
Yes, it worked:



------

If someone wants to do it, here are the resource-#s you need to edit:

Extras.rsrc: 5690, 5700, 5711, 13295, 13296, 13297, 13298, 13299, 13300
Finder.rsrc (gear- and path-button): 4300-4303, 7300-7303

I took the normal Aqua-buttons (p. e. 5360 -> 5690), but as the metal-resources are 1 pixel taller, you have to adjust them in Photoshop first to fit.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2