Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Beryl, XGL on OSX

Beryl, XGL on OSX
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2007, 04:08 AM

What do you guys think of Beryl/XGL and all those Linux GUI features being ported over to OSX? I know apple's releasing spaces in their new OS release but I still think it would be a great Idea to have some open source development of Bery/XGL for osx.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2007, 06:15 AM

Though the only features I'm really interested in are the most useless ones (like the jiggly windows), it would still be neat to have in OS X... is this actually possible? Are people doing it?

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2007, 12:37 PM

It is possible, but people aren't doing it... I wonder if apple could incorporate some features like that into leopard.

Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2007, 01:46 PM

The nice thing about Beryl is Beryl Manager, which allows you to disable these animations or tweak how they work. This might be a useful advanced interface type thing. I would probably disable things like the Dashboard ripple, for instance.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 04:44 PM

Come Monday we might see if 10.5 (using Core Animation) will have anymore animations for OSX.

I find that while Beryl is great in the way of "look how cool this is" it's not great in the every day use way. 10.4 has animation which is neat (genie effect for example) but it is there for a reason. You clicked minimize and your window is minimizing to here in the dock. You opened Dashboard and your widgets are coming in from their own layer. You have got me on the Dashboard ripple though

I don't see how having your virtual desktop on a transparent cube where windows can live on multiple desktops helps? Other than it does look cool.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I don't see how having your virtual desktop on a transparent cube where windows can live on multiple desktops helps?
It makes sure that the user knows how nice their top of the line system is without having to load up any complex applications

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2007, 06:10 PM

If I understand correctly, Beryl is essentially an X11 add-on. Since Apple doesn't use X11 as Mac OS X's primary window manager, it seems like it would take enough work that you'd be better of just starting over with a Mac-native equivalent than trying to port it over.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by dn15 View Post
If I understand correctly, Beryl is essentially an X11 add-on. Since Apple doesn't use X11 as Mac OS X's primary window manager, it seems like it would take enough work that you'd be better of just starting over with a Mac-native equivalent than trying to port it over.
That makes a little more sense to me. If it were as simple as porting an add-on I see no reason that people wouldn't already be doing it.

Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 12:37 AM

Well, you could port XGL/Beryl and use it to run an X11 desktop on your Mac, but it wouldn't work with any apps written for the CoreGraphics window server.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Come Monday we might see if 10.5 (using Core Animation) will have anymore animations for OSX.

I find that while Beryl is great in the way of "look how cool this is" it's not great in the every day use way. 10.4 has animation which is neat (genie effect for example) but it is there for a reason. You clicked minimize and your window is minimizing to here in the dock. You opened Dashboard and your widgets are coming in from their own layer. You have got me on the Dashboard ripple though

I don't see how having your virtual desktop on a transparent cube where windows can live on multiple desktops helps? Other than it does look cool.
The technology and policy (i.e. how developers decide to use the technology) are two separate things. Beryl does not = the cube (which I actually think is a pretty good use of this technology for illuminating upon the often esoteric concept of virtual desktops), Beryl = the ability to generate a cube

Forum Links
Forum Rules