Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Editing icons

Editing icons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2014, 09:10 AM

Googled the web for "edit icons mac" and got a zillion descriptions on how to change the appearance of folders, cut-and-paste wise. I want to bring up an icon in e.g. Photoshop and alter it, mostly the colours. Then save it and use it in Finder & the dock.

I opened the Info panel, selected the icon at the top, copied it and opened in Photoshop. It seems to be 1024 x 1024 pixels. I can edit it. But then, what format is it? I must save it in a format that the Mac can use for Finder icons. Does anyone know?

Åke

Apr 11, 2014, 10:36 AM

There used to be a photoshop plugin from the iconfactory.com that helped with this. I always saved as a jpg, selected from the desktop, then did command-i, and copied the icon that showed in the preview there. That is pretty much how the free icons from iconfactory work to this day.

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2014, 03:39 AM

Looked around some more and it seems that icons are a special format, not available directly in Photoshop. There are editors which save in this format, but they cost money. Which would be okay if I planned to do this often… which I don't.

Anyway, thanks for the input!

Åke

Apr 13, 2014, 10:10 PM

Here's a good tutorial, using free stuff:

How to Make Mac Icons | Macinstruct

Forum Links
Forum Rules