Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > News Flash: Car Explodes In W. Palm Beach

News Flash: Car Explodes In W. Palm Beach (Page 2)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 06:52 PM

Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Ooops, sorry but you must be lost. This is AMERICA. We have a fine old custom where if something doesn't interest you, you simply ignore it.

Now, if this were a referendum on the subject of the quality of my posts or the subject matter, maybe your request would have a greater bearing on the issue.

But it ain't and it don't.

But thanks for sharing.
Aberdeenwriter posts fabricated news stories every week, last week was "Exclusive: Saddam Possessed WMD, Had Extensive Terror Ties". I guess it is supposed to be a joke.

Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2004, 08:45 PM

damn. this reminds me of the time I posted the thread about Obama switching to the Republican party.

I swear I heard it on NPR. They sounded shocked.

Anyways...here's something you will hear from me first.

Verizon bought AT&T.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 09:44 PM

They'll no peace with the Federation as long as Kirk lives.

Heard it here first.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 09:59 PM

You are writer? Why don’t you write about interaction in political discussions, instead of posting "des colonnes nécrologiques"?

Lots of the information, news and tragedies is either not mentioned, or focused, marked upon, depending on the impulsion each gives .....
We use the same old clichés without looking in depth, or analyse the situation from one side only, losing equity & balance. You are not the only one, we all experience fears. How many human beings on this planet do not have a fridge, neither full nor empty, a Tw, a car, water, heating? A car explodes.

You know going out in the light is good for the spirit.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 01:23 AM

You posted this at 1:17 p.m. At 5:44 you responded to another post with a smiley face, but no updates, links, or other corroboration, despite "I stand by my story," in a reply between the two times I mentioned. Still waiting, and it's now twelve hours later, and no news sites that I've looked at have mentioned anything about this. You're also browsing this forum, as I type this. Well?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2004, 02:00 AM

<crickets chirping>

Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 02:26 AM

this is dumb, and yet another reason why the ignore list is good. plonk.

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:01 AM

Link

The one at the top looks relevant but it's not loading at the moment.

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2004, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Link

The one at the top looks relevant but it's not loading at the moment.
Can't get it to load, but considering it's from September 30th, I would say that it's not relevant.

Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2004, 07:48 AM

:: waits for the Dawg ("unmarried sexless parent of three") to show up, suck off AW and coo something about a "psychological experiment" being successful - though I fail to see success, as the drugs are obviously not working ::

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 12:11 PM

Gee, I wonder where writer has been for the last 24 hours, still at the site of the "explosion?"

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2004, 01:28 PM

I found a link that identified a soldier killed in a car bomb attack in Iraq was from WPB. Kind of hard to mistake that for a car bomb attack on a bank in florida. I'm calling bullshit on this. Not cool man. You need to explain yourself and not do it with a smilie in your post.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 01:43 PM

Ladies, Gentlemen and Fuzzy Brained Liberals,

It has been approximately 24 hours since a car exploded in downtown West Palm Beach, Florida prompting this thread.

On the basis of a friends' "eyewitness" account of the explosion I started this thread ("News Flash: Car Explodes In W. Palm Beach") with two posts which accurately conveyed the information related to me on the phone.

Being a news 'junkie' (as many of you are) I took seriously the responsibility (and thrill) of possibly breaking an important news story here on the pages of MacNN. You will note, that although my first thought/suspicion/fear was the explosion was the result of an act of terrorism, I never speculated as to the cause of the explosion, nor did I attribute a possible identity of any individual or motive.

In these past 24 hours, news of the explosion still hasn't hit any news services. Nor have calls to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office or local news organizations proved enlightening. Therefore I can offer no further information on this matter beyond that which I originally posted.

I did little or no posting anywhere in the Political/War Lounge after starting the thread. Such a compelling story had me sitting on pins and needles, scouring the news services most of the day and evening searching and waiting for confirmation of this "eyewitness report."

The entire time I've believed the reason the story appeared nowhere else might have been due to a news blackout by the authorities out of national security concerns, to prevent widespread panic, or possibly, to prevent any further negative impact on South Florida tourism, already hard hit by the rash of hurricanes this year.

But I have no hard explanation why there has been no other published or broadcast accounts of this explosion.

Yet, despite the lack of corroboration by the established new services, I never once doubted my source or the information which was relayed to me over the telephone, and even with this passage of time I steadfastly believed in the story.

When demonhood suggested I would be banned from the lounge if it turned out I was intentionally faking this news I exchanged with him a series of PM's with all the pertinent information about my source and the circumstances surrounding my posts.

He was (understandably) doubtful from the very beginning as most of you were.

However, with a firm belief that the story would be proven faithful to the truth, I promised him if the story did not pan out, I would voluntarily stop posting here on MacNN until such time as it could be confirmed as truthful, accurate and posted in good faith. If it turned out the story was fake I was prepared to leave MacNN for good.

I have honored that promise.

At this time I believe demonhood has received sufficient evidence to corroborate the story's veracity, and assume the threat of my bannination has been lifted. With that, I resume posting here on MacNN with this letter explaning the circumstances surrounding yesterday's posts.

I welcome your questions and comments.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 01:50 PM

You're absolutely barking mad.

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 01:53 PM

However, with a firm belief that the story would be proven faithful to the truth, I promised him if the story did not pan out, I would voluntarily stop posting here on MacNN until such time as it could be confirmed as truthful, accurate and posted in good faith. If it turned out the story was fake I was prepared to leave MacNN for good.

I have honored that promise.

At this time I believe demonhood has received sufficient evidence to corroborate the story's veracity, and assume the threat of my bannination has been lifted. With that, I resume posting here on MacNN with this letter explaning the circumstances surrounding yesterday's posts.

I welcome your questions and comments.

Uh, how did you honor that promise? I see no evidence presented that it is true. Only your second-hand report. And how, exactly, do you cover up two car-bombs with a "news black-out?" Are you saying that the national news sources are playing along for fear of Florida's economy? BS. Why did they report on the plane going down in the Bronx after september 11? Surely that would have been "blacked out" to mitigate the terror impact...but instead it was on the wires almost immediately.

I still call BS until you provide more info.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 01:57 PM

Demonhood has sufficient evidence to corroborate this story, but you won't post it here? BS! You're so transparent, it would be funny, if it wasn't pathetic.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
You're absolutely barking mad.
I note you were the first to question my honesty almost immediately after the original posts.

Yet when referring to a gangsta thug rapper you were quick to jump to his defense in another thread, cautioning posters not to, "jump the gun."

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...06#post2238367

I can only assume you are so quick to jump the gun in my case because you (rightly) hold me to a higher standard than this rapper.

Or because you are a hypocrite.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by boots:
Uh, how did you honor that promise? I see no evidence presented that it is true. Only your second-hand report. And how, exactly, do you cover up two car-bombs with a "news black-out?" Are you saying that the national news sources are playing along for fear of Florida's economy? BS. Why did they report on the plane going down in the Bronx after september 11? Surely that would have been "blacked out" to mitigate the terror impact...but instead it was on the wires almost immediately.

I still call BS until you provide more info.
I call FUZZY BRAINEDNESS!

Failure to read thoroughly.

Re-read my original posts. You will find I never said anything about a bomb nor two bombs.

I honored my promise to refrain from posting until and unless my account was proven true or false and that I acted in good faith.

That I have done.

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 02:06 PM

um....I think this thread represents some major gun jumping. Suggestion: Worry about your own guns jumping before (wrongly) suggesting others' have.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Demonhood has sufficient evidence to corroborate this story, but you won't post it here? BS! You're so transparent, it would be funny, if it wasn't pathetic.
I have stood by the story from the beginning. I put my reputation on the line. I was prepared to resign from MacNN were the story proven false, even though I was acting in good faith and reporting an eyewitness account accurately.

Evidence, which I'm not able to provide you, (as it is not mine to provide) has been sent to demonhood.

If it satisfies demonhood and if he is legally/ethically able to offer it to you for scrutiny, I have no problem with that.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:19 PM

Re-read my original posts. You will find I never said anything about a bomb nor two bombs.

I honored my promise to refrain from posting until and unless my account was proven true or false and that I acted in good faith.

That I have done.
How has it been proven? By you simply saying so? Prove it, or shut up! If you would look in a mirror, I think you'd find the one who's truly "Fuzzy Brained." You're incredible; you post a "news" story that no one can verify, anywhere, expect people to simply believe it, then come back a day later, talking about your "honor" and still provide no verification, and still expect people to take you at your word. You're weird.

BTW, did you make that up "Fuzyy Brained Liberals" all by yourself?

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 02:21 PM

That I have done.
Fine. Two explosions. Your answer is evasive regardless. Explosions would be all over the news. You've honored nothing until there is verifiable evidence that it was true or false.

edit: I couldn't care less if you keep posting or not. Just understand that if you fail to back this up (and not through secret communications with 'hood), your word is worth spit around here. Banned, not banned...I don't care. I just won't believe anything you post without supporting info.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
um....I think this thread represents some major gun jumping. Suggestion: Worry about your own guns jumping before (wrongly) suggesting others' have.
Calm down kitten!

Maybe it would help to curl up on the sofa and listen to some 'nice' music. May I suggest a Tupac album, "THUG LIFE"?

And I would dedicate a particular song on that album, especially to YOU..."Don't Get it Twisted"

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:25 PM

I have stood by the story from the beginning. I put my reputation on the line. I was prepared to resign from MacNN were the story proven false, even though I was acting in good faith and reporting an eyewitness account accurately.

Evidence, which I'm not able to provide you, (as it is not mine to provide) has been sent to demonhood.

If it satisfies demonhood and if he is legally/ethically able to offer it to you for scrutiny, I have no problem with that.

What a crock. You can provide Demonhood "evidence," but not us? Is Demonhood a legal law enforcement official, and is this "evidence" somehow classified? It's not your evidence to provide, yet you can give it to Demonhood, and he can decide whether it's publically available? Man, you're getting stranger by the minute; please, go out and get some sunshine and fresh air, take some Vitamins, and get some sleep.

Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 02:25 PM

you post a "news" story that no one can verify, anywhere, expect people to simply believe it, then come back a day later, talking about your "honor" and still provide no verification, and still expect people to take you at your word.
Why does this description remind me of a certain US President? Hmm.

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
Why does someone always have to bring up Clinton in every discussion?

(Sorry, couldn't help it. And I am completely joking)

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2004, 02:35 PM

Face it folks, this person is just screwing with us. Their behavior is getting increasingly absurd and bizarre as they see how far they can push things. I have no problem with the usual partisan nastiness, but this is getting quite disruptive. Now watch as they try to somehow shift the blame on us...

Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Face it folks, this person is just screwing with us. Their behavior is getting increasingly absurd and bizarre as they see how far they can push things.
Why does this description remind me of a cert...ah screw it.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:42 PM

How has it been proven? By you simply saying so? Prove it, or shut up! If you would look in a mirror, I think you'd find the one who's truly "Fuzzy Brained." You're incredible; you post a "news" story that no one can verify, anywhere, expect people to simply believe it, then come back a day later, talking about your "honor" and still provide no verification, and still expect people to take you at your word. You're weird.

BTW, did you make that up "Fuzyy Brained Liberals" all by yourself?

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=15221
_
Sami al-Arian was arrested for his terrorist activities in February 2003.

Al-Arian’s non-profit—the Islamic Committee for Palestine—was involved in raising money and recruiting at public events across America to “sponsor” Palestinian martyrs and featuring appeals by fundraisers “who begged for $500 to kill a Jew.”

Al-Arian immediately adopted the posture of the victim: “I’m a minority,” he said. “I’m an Arab. I’m a Palestinian. I’m a Muslim. That’s not a popular thing to be these days. Do I have rights, or don’t I have rights?”[36] The American left sprang to al-Arian’s defense.

Snif, sniff...

Yes. I was inspired by the FBL's on these pages to coin the term, Fuzzy Brained Liberals.

To borrow from your esteemed comrade, Sami al-Arian, I'm a Bush supporter. That's not a popular thing to be on these pages.
Do I have rights, or don’t I have rights?

Would you spring to my defense if I begged for "$500 to kill a Jew?"

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 02:48 PM

Baninate please.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:50 PM

What a crock. You can provide Demonhood "evidence," but not us? Is Demonhood a legal law enforcement official, and is this "evidence" somehow classified? It's not your evidence to provide, yet you can give it to Demonhood, and he can decide whether it's publically available? Man, you're getting stranger by the minute; please, go out and get some sunshine and fresh air, take some Vitamins, and get some sleep.
I rely on moderators to be fair and objective. They have the power to deny me access to these pages. I depend on you to twist almost any truth.

As long as the mods know I wasn't screwing around with the truth or the integrity of these boards, that's my main concern.

You can believe or disbelieve or twist or not twist as you wish.

Ooops, correction...I forgot you liberals are hard-wired to twist the facts. You can't help yourselves.

Case in point:

FUZZY ALERT!

Inability to interpret accurately
Failure to read thoroughly

You'll note I never said I gave the evidence to Demonhood.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:52 PM

Do I sense a draft movement?

Let's see, ABERDEENWRITER IN '08!

Hmmm...it has a ring to it!

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 02:54 PM

Why does someone always have to bring up Clinton in every discussion?

(Sorry, couldn't help it. And I am completely joking)

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 02:59 PM

You'll note I never said I gave the evidence to Demonhood.
But just above:

First, you are dividing pretty fine hairs. In context, it is valid to assume that you were responsible for having the information sent, so you "gave" the evidence to him. Even if you weren't the one providing it, there is no special status (legally) that demonhood holds. If it is "legal" to give it to him, it is legal to post it here. Change any names to protect the individuals. Or have the person post it here. It should be pretty easy to do if so much is at stake. Bannination is easy. Posting when no-one believes you is torture. Maybe Demonhood could change your name to Cassandra.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Face it folks, this person is just screwing with us. Their behavior is getting increasingly absurd and bizarre as they see how far they can push things. I have no problem with the usual partisan nastiness, but this is getting quite disruptive. Now watch as they try to somehow shift the blame on us...
Now that you mention it, hmm...

I think most everyone could get a better sense of themselves by reading their posts on this thread with the knowledge that aberdeen was NOT screwin with anyone, that aberdeen was responsible in reporting the information and posted it in good faith.

Any assumptions that were made (or 'gun jumping' that was done, LBK) was not my doing.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
Baninate please.
No, no, no! No candy for you, young man!

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:03 PM

Why hasn't this piece of **** been banned yet?

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:04 PM

Now that you mention it, hmm...

I think most everyone could get a better sense of themselves by reading their posts on this thread with the knowledge that aberdeen was NOT screwin with anyone, that aberdeen was responsible in reporting the information and posted it in good faith.

You're still missing the point. You now have zero credibility. Whether it was in good faith or not, you reported an item before it could be confirmed. If you are going to hold people to strict legal standard for the way they use certain words (and blame them for twisting your statements even though the context is clear) then you are subject to strict standards of journalism. You have two choices: remain with no credibility because you made a poor decision or provide supporting information. It really is that simple.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:13 PM

But just above:

First, you are dividing pretty fine hairs. In context, it is valid to assume that you were responsible for having the information sent, so you "gave" the evidence to him. Even if you weren't the one providing it, there is no special status (legally) that demonhood holds. If it is "legal" to give it to him, it is legal to post it here. Change any names to protect the individuals. Or have the person post it here. It should be pretty easy to do if so much is at stake. Bannination is easy. Posting when no-one believes you is torture. Maybe Demonhood could change your name to Cassandra.
Well, it's NOT like I'm saying it depends on what the definition of 'IS' is, or anything like that.

I was simply trying to be accurate. Something the FBL's might also try!

There's a difference between sharing what might be confidential or sensitive or privileged information with an individual and posting it online.

I'll let the mods determine how comfortable they feel about possibly exposing this site to legal action.

I'm not familiar with the Cassandra allusion. I've heard of the film title, "The Cassandra Crossing."

Are you saying you feel cross?

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Why hasn't this piece of **** been banned yet?
Frankly, I don't think Phil Nikleson cares whether he's banned from MacNN or not.

Furthermore, I frankly don't give a damn for your question.

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:25 PM

I'm not familiar with the Cassandra allusion.
Cassandra (from greek mythology) was given the ability to see the future, then she ran afoul of her god-lover, so she was cursed in that no one would believe her. She tried to warn everyone about the battle of Troy, but it fell on deaf ears.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:27 PM

You're still missing the point. You now have zero credibility. Whether it was in good faith or not, you reported an item before it could be confirmed. If you are going to hold people to strict legal standard for the way they use certain words (and blame them for twisting your statements even though the context is clear) then you are subject to strict standards of journalism. You have two choices: remain with no credibility because you made a poor decision or provide supporting information. It really is that simple.
As much as I'd like to find accord here with y'all on this matter it seems your Fuzzy Filters make it difficult.

I'd have to say Silky Voice of the Gorn's question of why the posts were in the PL comes closest to the pertinent issue here.

If the story turned out to have Political or War ramifications, then my posts were completely on target and appropriate in this venue.

If it was simply a car explosion then I would admit to having guessed wrong and posted information that was irrelevent to this forum.

Irrelevent posts? OHMYGOD, will I ever live down the shame?

I wanted to share the information with our community rather than sit on it. The only issue now in question is whether it was just a car explosion.

That has yet to be determined to my satisfaction. How about yours?

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:30 PM

Cassandra (from greek mythology) was given the ability to see the future, then she ran afoul of her god-lover, so she was cursed in that no one would believe her. She tried to warn everyone about the battle of Troy, but it fell on deaf ears.
I'm impressed that you knew that. Thanks for the info!

Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2004, 03:36 PM

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:39 PM

Irrelevent posts? OHMYGOD, will I ever live down the shame?
My response would have been the same regardless of which lounge you posted in. Will you live down the shame? Perhaps. You will just have a hard time being taken seriously.

BTW, this is where the BS is supposed to happen....in a thread that really isn't important. Keep it out of the serious discussions and the PL will be a much nicer place. So yeah, I'm bustin' your chops a little. Might I suggest that you lead into speculative things like this with "Someone just told me....has anyone heard anything about it?" then you won't come off like Chicken Little shouting that the sky has fallen.

Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 03:44 PM

Aberdeendude, why don't you just admit the whole thing was the result of a couple of typos and stop jerking everyone around? Here's what I'm sure you meant to post:

10:09AM PST

A cat exploded today in West Palm Beach, FL at a Security Bank branch. An eyewitness report indicates the furball from the explosion was 50 ft. high.
There, all's forgiven.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:44 PM

My response would have been the same regardless of which lounge you posted in. Will you live down the shame? Perhaps. You will just have a hard time being taken seriously.

BTW, this is where the BS is supposed to happen....in a thread that really isn't important. Keep it out of the serious discussions and the PL will be a much nicer place. So yeah, I'm bustin' your chops a little. Might I suggest that you lead into speculative things like this with "Someone just told me....has anyone heard anything about it?" then you won't come off like Chicken Little shouting that the sky has fallen.
Maybe you are right. Now that I see how an objective reportage of facts is construed around here, maybe I should give it a little more 'spin' in the future.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:46 PM

boots is fighting the good fight, but I'm not sure aberdeen had much credibility even before pulling this prank.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:47 PM

Aberdeendude, why don't you just admit the whole thing was the result of a couple of typos and stop jerking everyone around? Here's what I'm sure you meant to post:

There, all's forgiven.
FINALLY!

Now that I've received absolution, where's the ABSOLUT?

Forum Links
Forum Rules