Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Allawi, Savior of Iraq

Allawi, Savior of Iraq
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 10:02 PM

According to SMH:
A former Jordanian government minister has told The New Yorker that an American official confirmed to him that the Iraqi interim Prime Minister, Iyad Allawi, executed six suspected insurgents at a Baghdad police station last year.
(...)
Writing about his research in Jordan in December, Anderson says: "A well-known former government minister told me that an American official had confirmed that the killings took place, saying to him, 'What a mess we're in - we got rid of one son of a bitch only to get another one'."
Comments, and usual rants are welcome.

Banned
Jan 19, 2005, 08:25 AM

Doesn't surprise anyone that knows even a little about his past.

The White House has yet to deal with Allawi’s past. His credentials as a neurologist, and his involvement during the past two decades in anti-Saddam activities, as the founder of the British-based Iraqi National Accord, have been widely reported. But his role as a Baath Party operative while Saddam struggled for control in the nineteen-sixties and seventies—Saddam became President in 1979—is much less well known. “Allawi helped Saddam get to power,” an American intelligence officer told me. “He was a very effective operator and a true believer.” Reuel Marc Gerecht, a former C.I.A. case officer who served in the Middle East, added, “Two facts stand out about Allawi. One, he likes to think of himself as a man of ideas; and, two, his strongest virtue is that he’s a thug.”

Early this year, one of Allawi’s former medical-school classmates, Dr. Haifa al-Azawi, published an essay in an Arabic newspaper in London raising questions about his character and his medical bona fides. She depicted Allawi as a “big husky man . . . who carried a gun on his belt and frequently brandished it, terrorizing the medical students.” Allawi’s medical degree, she wrote, “was conferred upon him by the Baath party.” Allawi moved to London in 1971, ostensibly to continue his medical education; there he was in charge of the European operations of the Baath Party organization and the local activities of the Mukhabarat, its intelligence agency, until 1975.

“If you’re asking me if Allawi has blood on his hands from his days in London, the answer is yes, he does,” Vincent Cannistraro, the former C.I.A. officer, said. “He was a paid Mukhabarat agent for the Iraqis, and he was involved in dirty stuff.” A cabinet-level Middle East diplomat, who was rankled by the U.S. indifference to Allawi’s personal history, told me early this month that Allawi was involved with a Mukhabarat “hit team” that sought out and killed Baath Party dissenters throughout Europe. (Allawi’s office did not respond to a request for comment.) At some point, for reasons that are not clear, Allawi fell from favor, and the Baathists organized a series of attempts on his life. The third attempt, by an axe-wielding assassin who broke into his home near London in 1978, resulted in a year-long hospital stay.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040628fa_fact
http://www.occupationwatch.org/article.php?id=5270

With a friend, Adel Abdul Mahdi, he arranged to kidnap the dean of the university to publicise the Baath cause. ‘We took Iraq’s first hostages,’ recalls Mr Abdul Mahdi, now Iraq’s finance minister, nostalgically. The two men did time for the offence, until a Baathist coup got them back out again.

With another man, Salih Omar, whose democratic credentials included supervising public hangings for the regime, Allawi founded al-Wifaq, or the Iraqi National Accord, a small but influential collection of almost exclusively ex-Baathists who had held office but fallen out with Saddam.

The INA’s most controversial operation during this period was a campaign of what can only be termed terrorism against civilians. In 1994 and 1995 a series of bombings at cinemas, mosques and other public places in Baghdad claimed up to 100 civilian lives. The leading British Iraq expert, Patrick Cockburn, obtained a videotape of one of the bombers, Abu Amneh al-Khadami, speaking from his place of refuge in Iraqi Kurdistan, claiming that the attacks had been ordered and orchestrated by Adnan Nuri, the INA’s Kurdistan director of operations — an account that has not been seriously disputed.

http://www.antiwar.com/spectator2/spec509.html

Lovely guy isn't he?

Jan 19, 2005, 10:12 AM

I never thought that puppets had anything worthwhile to say.

Banned
Jan 19, 2005, 04:22 PM

Of course the warmongers completely ignore this thread. What a surprise.

Banned
Jan 20, 2005, 10:23 AM

73 view and only 4 replies

Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2005, 10:30 AM

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" backfires so nicely throughout history.

Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2005, 10:08 PM

It's all Bush's fault. He lied! Go liberals!

Maybe that'll get some attention.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Banned
Jan 23, 2005, 01:28 PM

Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2005, 11:28 PM

This thread is so quiet, it's funny.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 11:35 PM

Interesting...

Banned
Jan 24, 2005, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
This thread is so quiet, it's funny.
Or sad. Depends on where you are. For instance I'm sure those who lost their loved one in this war and at the hands of Allawi find it pretty sad.

Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 11:46 AM

Wasn't this discussed months ago, right after Allawi was appointed?

Also, if this line doesn't set warning bells off for you, your brain isn't working:

A former Jordanian government minister has told The New Yorker that an American official confirmed to him...
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Banned
Jan 24, 2005, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
Wasn't this discussed months ago, right after Allawi was appointed?

Also, if this line doesn't set warning bells off for you, your brain isn't working:
Did you "miss" this post by me?

Forum Links
Forum Rules