Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 1,092 new allegations of sexual abuse against at least 756 Catholic priests

1,092 new allegations of sexual abuse against at least 756 Catholic priests (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2005, 04:33 PM
 
Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Ya great argument. You sound like you want to brush it off just as the church as been doing cuz the truth scares that crap out of you
Actually. Allegations are meaningless. The church used to pay-off anyone just to avoid the scandal, and bad press. I'm sure there are a few people who caught on to this and decided to hold-up the church. Sort of what Jesse Jackson does to businesses. I think the term is shakedown.

Wait, I feel a "Jesse Jackson is like Hitler" thread coming on...

Why don't you just go meet with those 9/10 gay priests you know so well. Liar.
     
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2005, 04:42 PM
 
Only happy to show you the error of your ways.

If you don't wish to take the time to read the linked page, here are a few FACTS.

- 138 Priests were convicted. (Since 1950)
- 2/3 of all allegations have been made AFTER 1993.

Lata'
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In bits and pieces on Cloud City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 01:10 AM
 
Originally posted by budster101:

Why don't you just go meet with those 9/10 gay priests you know so well. Liar.
Hey neat you can call me a liar. Well I think you are a poo poo head

Actually we did an interview with the priest at work a year ago, not online but you can call him a liar as you seem to know better
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"
     
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Michigan, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 02:58 AM
 
Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Hey neat you can call me a liar. Well I think you are a poo poo head

Actually we did an interview with the priest at work a year ago, not online but you can call him a liar as you seem to know better
Huh?

You have a priest at work?
     
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 08:55 AM
 
Originally posted by Xeo:
Theoretically, but even if 90% of all priests are gays, there is still a 10% chance of getting the wrong priest. Would you risk ruining your life if you only had 9:1 odds?

Then again, maybe we are both right. The ones out molesting are the ones that didn't want to risk talking to adults, and the others (that can't stay abstinent) are just doing each other. After all, it wouldn't be public knowledge if that was going on.
You forgot 99% of statistics are made up on the spot.

It seems there are more teachers these days having sex with underage lately.

But you never see anyone pointing fingers, but slapping high fives.

That says a lot to me.
     
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 08:56 AM
 
Originally posted by budster101:
Only happy to show you the error of your ways.

If you don't wish to take the time to read the linked page, here are a few FACTS.

- 138 Priests were convicted. (Since 1950)
- 2/3 of all allegations have been made AFTER 1993.

Lata'
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The bottom of Cloud City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 05:51 PM
 
Originally posted by budster101:
Only happy to show you the error of your ways.

If you don't wish to take the time to read the linked page, here are a few FACTS.

- 138 Priests were convicted. (Since 1950)
- 2/3 of all allegations have been made AFTER 1993.

Lata'
ya that is a reliable source

So what is they are convicted that is because the church has been ignoring it or trying to hide it. makes them look even worse that way!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
     
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 05:53 PM
 
Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
ya that is a reliable source

So what is they are convicted that is because the church has been ignoring it or trying to hide it. makes them look even worse that way!
Uhm. You are disputing the source, but not the figures... okee-dokee.

Riiigght. 2/3 of all allegations came after 1993. Let's see you refute that.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In bits and pieces on Cloud City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 11:36 PM
 
Originally posted by budster101:
Uhm. You are disputing the source, but not the figures... okee-dokee.

Riiigght. 2/3 of all allegations came after 1993. Let's see you refute that.
Who cares when they came. THAT MANY after 1993 makes it even scarier. As for the figures I said to you that the fact that there are so few convictions is because most of them don't go to trial as they try to get hidden by the church which has been well known.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"
     
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2005, 06:51 AM
 
Originally posted by budster101:
Uhm. You are disputing the source, but not the figures... okee-dokee.

Riiigght. 2/3 of all allegations came after 1993. Let's see you refute that.
Oh, he will just spin it into something else.

Oh wait.. too late.
     
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, MN, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2005, 02:37 AM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:
You forgot 99% of statistics are made up on the spot.

It seems there are more teachers these days having sex with underage lately.

But you never see anyone pointing fingers, but slapping high fives.

That says a lot to me.
I really don't understand how this is a reply to my post.
     
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, MN, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2005, 02:45 AM
 
Originally posted by undotwa:
Paedophiles are really mentally ill and deserve to receive treatment. Jail isn't the right place for them but hospitals.
I must have missed this before. I agree that they might be ill. However, I also believe serial rapists, murders, and any other criminals who seem to harm other people because the act of harm is giving them joy are also ill. Can we hospitalize all these people? Why send rapists and murderers to jail but child molesters can go to hospitals? All these people enjoy hurting others. Again, I think a majority of these cases are people on power trips. They need the power they get from harming others. They are ill. They need help. I agree. But should we feel enough compassion for them to offer help?
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2005, 05:25 AM
 
Originally posted by Xeo:
But should we feel enough compassion for them to offer help?
I think we should feel compassion for every criminal and pray for all criminals. We need to lose this mentality of 'locking' up someone for as long as possible as punishment. We should lock people up as needed for the benefit of criminal him/herself and society
In vino veritas.
     
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, MN, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2005, 12:46 PM
 
Originally posted by undotwa:
I think we should feel compassion for every criminal and pray for all criminals. We need to lose this mentality of 'locking' up someone for as long as possible as punishment. We should lock people up as needed for the benefit of criminal him/herself and society
That takes on the philosophy that all people are inherently good and just need to be brought back "into the light." So to speak. There is, of course, the mentality that everyone is bad and those that are good are just better at hiding it. There is truth to that, I think, since it seems a large majority of people will get away with whatever they can so long as it poses no risk to them. But there is a middle. Some people are good and some people are bad. And to have a functional society, we can't just let the bad ruin it for everyone so they need to be separated. Since they are just bad, the chances of their rehabilitation is pretty slim so why bother?

Good, Bad, and Both. I'm more on the "Both" side. I don't think you can help everyone. You can try, but I just don't think it's possible without a more invasive treatment such as brainwashing (or something like that).
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2005, 07:01 PM
 
Originally posted by Xeo:
That takes on the philosophy that all people are inherently good and just need to be brought back "into the light."
I don't think we can reform everybody. We need to remember, however, that we a locking up human beings and that is how we should treat them.

We shouldn't go out of our way to make prisons miserable.
In vino veritas.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2