Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Looks like Carly may have found a new job.

Looks like Carly may have found a new job.
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 06:12 PM

http:www.nytimes.com

March 1, 2005

Ex-Chief of Hewlett Seen as Candidate to Head World Bank
By ELIZABETH BECKER

WASHINGTON, March 1 - Carleton S. Fiorina, who lost her job as chief executive of Hewlett-Packard two weeks ago, has emerged as a strong candidate to become the next president of the World Bank, according to an official in the Bush administration.

Paul Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of defense, is also under serious consideration, the official said, but Mr. Wolfowitz is expected to release a statement later today saying that he has been asked to stay at the Pentagon.

Robert B. Zoellick, until last week the United States trade representative, had been the White House's candidate to replace James D. Wolfensohn, the current bank president, who completes his second five-year term in May.

But when Mr. Zoellick was tapped to become the new deputy secretary of state, the White House reopened the bidding.

Remaining on the short list of contenders are Randall L. Tobias, the global AIDS coordinator for the White House and former vice chairman of AT&T International and head of Eli Lilly & Company; and John Taylor, the top-ranking official at the Treasury Department for international affairs. Peter McPherson, the former president of Michigan State University, is no longer one of the leading candidates.

The official familiar with the list would discuss the names only on background because of the administration's disdain for any leaks of prospective candidates.

The White House refused to comment publicly on Ms. Fiorina, or on the candidacy of Mr. Wolfowitz, which was reported in The Financial Times today.

"We don't comment or speculate on personnel decisions," said Tony Fratto, the deputy spokesman for the Treasury Department, which is officially in charge of the appointment.

Mr. Wolfowitz is currently a powerful deputy at the Pentagon, and any departure by him could have a huge impact on military policy.

Ms. Fiorina, the sole woman on the list, carries far less political baggage. As the head of a Fortune 500 company for six years, she gained managerial experience that puts her near the top of the list for the World Bank job. She is considered a dynamic leader with a crisp command of the facts, although she was blamed for Hewlett-Packard's failure to match the performance of such rival computer makers as I.B.M. and Dell.

Ms. Fiorina would also add a touch of glamour to the post, since she is probably the only candidate famous enough to be known in business circles by her first name, Carly.

With this appointment, President Bush will have a chance to name his own person to lead the World Bank. (By tradition, the United States names the head of the bank while Europe names the director of the International Monetary Fund.)

Increasingly, Mr. Bush has pushed to put his mark on foreign aid policy, stressing targeted assistance to countries meeting his criteria for responsible government. In the administration's new budget proposal, foreign aid was spared the deep cuts that were made in domestic programs.

Whether Mr. Wolfowitz would be the best candidate to pursue these ideas could be questioned by some of the other big players at the World Bank. As one of the chief architects of the Iraq war, Mr. Wolfowitz is not among the favorites of some European nations, which might try to block his appointment.

As the assistant secretary of state for East Asia and later United States Ambassador to Indonesia, Mr. Wolfowitz did oversee policy covering the developing world.

For her part, Ms. Fiorina is more like Mr. Wolfensohn before he became the World Bank president since both are considered charismatic business leaders who travel in elite circles.

But neither Mr. Wolfowitz nor Ms. Fiorina is considered an expert in development.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 10:06 PM

Create a disaster at Lucent, get the top job at HP. Screw up HP, get the top job at the World Bank.

Once she screws that up, what's next... Replacing Kofi Annan at the UN?

Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Replacing Kofi Annan at the UN?
He seems to be doing a great job at that himself.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 12:19 PM

Carly Fiorina running the World Bank?

That means that it will be outsourced to India, for SURE.

Senior User
Mar 2, 2005, 12:30 PM

I'm sure this is political/war/religious somehow...

Anyway good for her

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 12:59 PM

Carly??

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
http:www.nytimes.com

the LA crowd seem to have a somewhat more freakish take on their preferred candidate...

Bono, the U2 rock star, has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, and he is a credible candidate. But we have a better idea on how best to recognize his effective lobbying on behalf of African development Bono should be named the next president of the World Bank.

Don't be fooled by the wraparound sunglasses and the excess hipness. Bono is deeply versed in the issues afflicting the least-developed nations of the world, as former Treasury Secretary Paul H. O'Neill learned when he traveled the continent with the musician.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,5673982.story

not sure how the lead singer of U2 can be accused of "excess hipness", unless your definition of hip is hair-plugs and bad leather trousers.

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 11:02 AM

Oy, oy, oy. That woman ran HP down for five years... oy, oy, oy

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Carly??

THE Carly, yes ?......
too bad thats not the one mentioned in this thread
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules