Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The "Why France Sucks" Thread

The "Why France Sucks" Thread
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 07:55 AM
 
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NYNY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 08:00 AM
 
Because 90% of its citizens opposed the invasion of Iraq....and the government's policy reflected that. The horror!
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 08:11 AM
 
Yeah, we should deport this b!tch.

“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt
     
Y3a
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Northern VA - Just outside DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 08:12 AM
 
Yea, most of the french companies were doing illegal business with the Iraq gov't too...
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 08:21 AM
 
We would be starting cricket games singing "God save the Queen" if it weren't for the French saving our butts during our Revolutionary war...

"but what have you done for me lately?"
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 08:45 AM
 
Yea, most of the french companies were doing illegal business with the Iraq gov't too...
Hear, hear!



France didn't care one whit about humanitarian reasons - or not - regarding Iraq. They were only pissed off because they were cut out of the entire deal. Once again, crybabies.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 12:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

The USA didn't care one whit about humanitarian reasons - or not - regarding Iraq. They were only pissed off because they were cut out of the pre war Oil deals. Once again, Imperialists.
Fixified
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 12:20 PM
 
Personally, I'm a fan of French culture and French people. Fantastic place.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 12:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Y3a
Yea, most of the french companies were doing illegal business with the Iraq gov't too...
I thought many of them were US businesses.
     
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Internets
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 12:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by BRussell
I thought many of them were US businesses.

They were including subsidaries of Haliburton when DICK cheney was CEO.

But if you say that outloud the winguts call you an un-American "French" america hater.

Then go back to filling up their ignorance levels by listening to the fat ass drug addict or watching Faux "News"
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 01:08 PM
 
France sucks, because they are as patriotic as the Americans are. They get pissed off whenever you criticize some part of their country, a way of life, even when it's something they don't agree with themselves.

Real suckers.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 01:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by spauldingg
We would be starting cricket games singing "God save the Queen" if it weren't for the French saving our butts during our Revolutionary war...

"but what have you done for me lately?"

And the French would have been speaking German if we hadn't come twice to save their asses - your point?
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 01:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by Macrobat
And the French would have been speaking German if we hadn't come twice to save their asses - your point?
And you wouldn't have your country if the French didn't save your asses when you freed yourself from the British. Your point? Oh, and you wouldn't have anything to eat, I mean, American food without French fries …  (Yes, I know they came from Belgium.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 01:48 PM
 
French toast.

Yum.

So, we can credit the French with contributing to the gustatory pleasures of the world. Then, again, they do eat snails.

     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 01:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
So, we can credit the French with contributing to the gustatory pleasures of the world. Then, again, they do eat snails.
Snails are also eaten in some parts of Germany and are delicious
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 02:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Macrobat
And the French would have been speaking German if we hadn't come twice to save their asses - your point?
And they saved ours in the revolutionary war. If it wasn't for them we would have lost.

All in all its incredably stupid to say there is Incontrovertible proof that Armstrong took EPO when it was tested on 7 year old urine and they "guessed" that it was his.

this kind of blanket racism does nobody good.

Mike
     
tie
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 02:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Y3a
Yea, most of the french companies were doing illegal business with the Iraq gov't too...
Not just "most" French companies, all of them! PM spacefreak for all the juicy details. Halliburton is just the exception that proves the rule that American companies are perfect.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brantford, ON. Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 02:13 PM
 
Oh dear. Well, I can't offer too much insight as to why the french suck (good food, great culture), but I can think of 100 reasons why the U.S. sucks off the top of my head.
     
Y3a
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Northern VA - Just outside DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 02:16 PM
 
<< I can think of 100 reasons why the U.S. sucks off the top of my head. >>

And you learned all of them from the biased news who were stating opinion as fact.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 02:22 PM
 
And not just American companies, but the American government. Documents: U.S. condoned Iraq oil smuggling:
Documents obtained by CNN reveal the United States knew about, and even condoned, embargo-breaking oil sales by Saddam Hussein's regime, and did so to shore up alliances with Iraq's neighbors.

The oil trade with countries such as Turkey and Jordan appears to have been an open secret inside the U.S. government and the United Nations for years.

The unclassified State Department documents sent to congressional committees with oversight of U.S. foreign policy divulge that the United States deemed such sales to be in the "national interest," even though they generated billions of dollars in unmonitored revenue for Saddam's regime.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 02:26 PM
 
France is fine, lovely country. Parisians are horrific people though.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brantford, ON. Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 02:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by Y3a
<< I can think of 100 reasons why the U.S. sucks off the top of my head. >>

And you learned all of them from the biased news who were stating opinion as fact.

I establish my own opinions, the news doesnt guide me.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN U.S.A.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 03:18 PM
 
France is a great country. Like any other nation, America included, there are some fools who reside there.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 03:30 PM
 
Okay, okay, so France, THE COUNTRY, is okay.

But all of the people living there, most especially Chirac and the government, are ewwww.
     
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: retired
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 03:32 PM
 
France does suck because of this monstrosity.

     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN U.S.A.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 03:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Okay, okay, so France, THE COUNTRY, is okay.

But all of the people living there, most especially Chirac and the government, are ewwww.


The country is wonderful, and, the people, for the most part are fantastic. Much like the US, it has its downside. But then, name a country that doesn't.
     
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: retired
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 03:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Okay, okay, so the U.S.A., THE COUNTRY, is okay.

But all of the people living there, most especially BUSH and the Repupublicans, are ewwww.
fixorated.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 03:48 PM
 
Because they don't brush their teeth or shower regularly?

Because the women have hairy armpits (not underamrs, mind you)?

Because they make spittle when they talk?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint
     
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: retired
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 04:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead
Because they don't brush their teeth or shower regularly?

Because the women have hairy armpits (not underamrs, mind you)?

Because they make spittle when they talk?
Sounds West Virginia except they have few teeth to brush.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ------>
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 04:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Okay, okay, so France, THE COUNTRY, is okay.

But all of the people living there, most especially Chirac and the government, are ewwww.


This thread is funny. In a junior high-school kind of way.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: LV-426
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 04:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by nath
France is fine, lovely country. Parisians are horrific people though.
Took the words right out of my mouth!! France is also the heart of European aviation industry. Kind of like Washington state in the US. France does not suck. Far from it. Not that I would like to live there or anything!

French trains suck. That is an established fact and Gar'd Nor (in Paris) is a craphole.

RENFE, DB and DSB are superior by far.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”
     
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: U.S.A
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 07:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by spauldingg
Yeah, we should deport this b!tch.

Not with my tax dollars.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 07:13 PM
 
Um, I musta forget the "heavy heavy heavy heavy sarcasm" smilie.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 07:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by spauldingg
Fixified
no, you would be wrong. Especially because this is not the "let's make false allegations against our own government so we can feel good about the French" ...thread.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Paris, Fr
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 07:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Took the words right out of my mouth!! France is also the heart of European aviation industry. Kind of like Washington state in the US. France does not suck. Far from it. Not that I would like to live there or anything!

French trains suck. That is an established fact and Gar'd Nor (in Paris) is a craphole.

RENFE, DB and DSB are superior by far.

cheers

W-Y
"Gar'd Nor"?
Whoa.
You really seem to know the place.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 07:59 PM
 
To all the American Democrats who think France is a beacon of tolerance and left-wing policy:

Would you like it if your government tried to ban foreign words in order to purify the english language?

Would you like it if your government frequently deported Muslim foreign-nationals based on arbitrary laws?

Would you like it if the US was home to one of the largest extreme-nationalist parties in the West?

Would you like it if the US created laws which extended their sovereignty write large into neighboring countries like Canada?

Replace "US" with "France" and you can see the reality of the French state. Because of France's homogenous nature, the state is able to implement these very conservative policies and yet naive Americans think that France is the "biggest blue state" just because it opposed the Iraq War.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2005, 08:01 PM
 
I love these threads. Some favourite comments so far:

Yeah, we should deport this b!tch.
...said in jest, but the irony of one of the most recognized symbols of "Americana" coming from the people this thread was started out to trash is just damn funny!


Now, on to this little ditty:

ea, most of the french companies were doing illegal business with the Iraq gov't too...
Riiiggghhht. Most of them, correct? The plane companies, the automobile dealerships, the restaurant owners, the clothing boutiques, the music stores, the hospitals.

MOST of them were in on a huge conspiracy together. It must be true!

BUT, the real kicker is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell
I thought many of them were US businesses.



They were including subsidaries of Haliburton when DICK cheney was CEO.

Moving on to these little ditties of irony:

We would be starting cricket games singing "God save the Queen" if it weren't for the French saving our butts during our Revolutionary war...
and...

And the French would have been speaking German if we hadn't come twice to save their asses - your point?
Soooooo... France has saved America in a war, America has done the same. Seems to me that France == America in this case.


On to the media comments:

And you learned all of them from the biased news who were stating opinion as fact.
This goes for ALL people, and ALL countries. If you got something from the media, it is biased, might not be true, and shouldn't always be taken at face value. This goes for things Americans read, Canadians read, French people read, etc.


Almost done. I love how an entire country is painted with the same brush because of things a few of its citizens say:

Well, one reason is this: Accusing Lance Armstrong of doping - proof that they are poor losers.
Sooooo..... it isn't that the individual people who made these accusations are poor losers. It is the ENTIRE country! Wow, I didn't realize it worked that way. Cody, you recently had surgery (and I hope you are feeling better by the way), so does this mean EVERY American had surgery when you did, for the same thing?


The only things I have learned from this thread so far is:

1) French toast is yummy!

2) Some people like snails.

3) Everyone should be very careful as we all live in glass houses. For everything an American says about a French person, examples of the same behavior can be found in Americans too. America saved France in a war, France saved America in a war. French companies had shitty oil deals with Saddam, American ones did too, etc.


Keep going though, this is fun!!!

     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 12:00 AM
 
No need, your wrapped it up nicely. Goodbye France thread.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 05:35 AM
 
Interestingly, a Figaro poll came out this week. It revealed two things:

1) Only 34% of the Americans polled could name the French President.
2) Of those who didn't like France, 29% said it was because the French were arrogant.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 07:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by Myrkridia
Not with my tax dollars.
You *do* know she's French, right?
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: LV-426
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 07:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by kilechki
"Gar'd Nor"?
Whoa.
You really seem to know the place.
Gare du Nord

I have traveled through it many many times. The spelling was written in my dialect. Scuseme. Gare d'Austerlitz is quite nice however.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 07:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
France does suck because of this monstrosity.
Yeah really they shoudl have taken that down when they had a chance.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 07:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Gare du Nord

I have traveled through it many many times. The spelling was written in my dialect. Scuseme. Gare d'Austerlitz is quite nice however.

cheers

W-Y
What is that? Schwabisch?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 07:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Gare du Nord

I have traveled through it many many times. The spelling was written in my dialect. Scuseme. Gare d'Austerlitz is quite nice however.

cheers

W-Y
The Avignon TGV train station is the most amazing station I've ever seen. And French trains do not suck. The TGV is an incredible train. Paris to Marseille in 3 hours. That's an average of more than 300km/h. And they've never had a single accident ever.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: LV-426
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by villalobos
What is that? Schwabisch?
No, not really. I've never heard about this before

A funny suggestion none the less.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: LV-426
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 08:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Troll
The Avignon TGV train station is the most amazing station I've ever seen. And French trains do not suck. The TGV is an incredible train. Paris to Marseille in 3 hours. That's an average of more than 300km/h. And they've never had a single accident ever.
I am not referring to the TGV. Oh no, I'm talking about the old school things that SNCF uses on slow regional and night trains. Trust me, they aren't that luxurious. The toilets on board are inspiring.


This is what I'm talking about.
(I'm not talking about safety - AFAIK these are completely safe - I'm talking about comfort)

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 08:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
I am not referring to the TGV. Oh no, I'm talking about the old school things that SNCF uses on slow regional and night trains. Trust me, they aren't that luxurious. The toilets on board are inspiring.
I Eurailed around Europe as a student and I have never been on a nice night train. The only nice night train I've ever been on is Rovos Rail in South Africa. Here's the bathroom!


www.rovos.co.za
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Location: type 13 planet
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 10:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by Troll
Interestingly, a Figaro poll came out this week. It revealed two things:

1) Only 34% of the Americans polled could name the French President.
2) Of those who didn't like France, 29% said it was because the French were arrogant.
Oh come on, Troll! That's like saying only 34% of the French knew who married Britney Spears.

And the complete poll was more like:

Only 34% of the Americans polled could name the French President but 76% said he was probably an arrogant prick.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
 




-t
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2005, 11:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie
And you wouldn't have your country if the French didn't save your asses when you freed yourself from the British. Your point? Oh, and you wouldn't have anything to eat, I mean, American food without French fries …  (Yes, I know they came from Belgium.)

My post was in response to his, the French "came" to help in the last year of the Revolutionary War, not out of some great love of the Americans, but as a result of their greater grab for power against Great Britain worldwide. France was FAR more involved in trying to wrest colonial possessions from GB in the Caribbean.

The French came finally with their fleet at the Battle of Yorktown (the last battle of the Revolution). Before that they had military "advisers" placed in various units of the American Army. They only came then because they perceived the British to be reeling "on the ropes" and ready to be picked off.

Thanks for perpetuating the moronic falsehood that the Revolutionary War was won because of the French. It was not. I suggest you actually read those history books. The Marquis de Lafayette is revered in the US for a reason. He acted against his government's wishes by actively placing those aforementioned advisors. France's interests on the North American continent had more to do with the Brits having "screwed them" (their point of view) out of Canada, and their own self-interests in what became the Louisiana Purchase.

The same CANNOT be said about the US coming to France's direct aid in both World Wars.

Here's your sign.
( Last edited by Macrobat; Aug 26, 2005 at 11:17 AM. )
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2