Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Can someone explain Mike Huckabee to me please?

Can someone explain Mike Huckabee to me please?
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 06:20 PM

I forgot about him but then he made an appearance on SNL for some reason, and the bit was how the only reason he's still in the race is because he's completely ignorant of the American democratic process. What's his deal, is he some kind of a publicity stunt for the Arkansas Tourism Board?

Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2008, 06:30 PM

There's no reason he can't stay in the race until convention when the delegates will make it clear.
That's the process the Republicans have.

As a politician, there's nothing wrong with him keeping his name and exposure going as long as possible - it can only help him in his next run for office.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 06:44 PM

There's no harm in establishing himself as "the guy who can't win" or "the guy who overstays his welcome" (literally the line he used on SNL), or in his supporters not taking him seriously next time because they're so used to not taking him seriously now? Just wondering...

Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 07:17 PM

Well, anything could happen. McCain could have a massive coronary.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Well, anything could happen. McCain could have a massive coronary.
Even if McCain did, I believe, if though Romney has dropped out, he still has more delegates than WHuckabee.

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 07:34 PM

Correction, I now see that Whuckabee has finally gotten enough to be 2 over Romney.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 07:46 PM

I don't get the W.

Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2008, 08:34 PM

Me either.

There's no harm in Huckabee's staying in. Even if he loses, he's done honorably by his supporters in not abandoning them. He gets to keep his name in the spotlight, and he can keep vying for VP.

It's his choice. If people think he's overstayed his welcome, it is his choice to do so.

Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
or "the guy who overstays his welcome" (literally the line he used on SNL), or in his supporters not taking him seriously next time because they're so used to not taking him seriously now? Just wondering...
well it is SNL ... and it was a joke like it's suppose to be on that show.

How would anyone think he has literally overstayed his welcome? who is he really inconveniencing?

ps: too bad romney didnt stay in he actaully had a shot. id be pissed if I had voted for him.

Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2008, 08:14 AM

"Can someone explain Mike Huckabee to me please?"

Sure:

Stephen Colbert made Mike Huckabee, Conan O Brien made Stephen Colbert, so Conan O Brien made Mike Huckabee!

Hmm, but Jon Stewart made Conan O Brien, and so since Jon Stewart made Conan O Brien, and Conan O'Brian made Stephen Colbert and Stephen Colbert made Mike Huckabee, that means: Jon Stewart made Mike Huckabee!

But Jon Stewart is as far as I know not a god, so what then does that mean when one looks at the sentence "Jon Stewart made Mike Huckabee": That means that Jon Stewart literally made a very good Mike Huckabee-mask, put it on his own head and runs around and candidating as Mike Huckabee for the presidency just for fun ... and...

politics.

Now don't come up with these youtube-videos showing Mike Huckabee and Jon Stewart in the daily show at the same time talking and laughing with each other. You are so easily deceipted, as if you didn't know anything about video-splitscreen-tricks or even more probabel: A lookalike acts as Jon Stewart as long as the real Jon Stewart is candidating for the presidency with the Mike Huckabee-mask on his face!

What happened to the real Mike Huckabee is a secret that only Jon Stewart knows but I fear the worst...

But why should Jon Stewart do all this? I mean isn't he content with being a brilliant comedian-talker. I guess, no, like we all know humor stems from hidden aggression, an aggression aimed at gathering might, and what better way to do that and yet get by with a four-hours-work-day, as wonderfully demonstrated by the current one, than becoming the president of the United States!

You might say, that Mike Huckabee had virtually nil opportunity to win the repuclican nomination, not to speak about the whole general election, but then you would underestimate Jon Stewart's brilliance and strategic foresight:

He knows that as Mike Huckabee he would easily lose, but when the lost nomination is ultimate, he plans to congratulate the winner, probably Mc Cain, and at this moment he will invite him to smoke with him some nice kuban cigars he has in his home, office or wherever they could enjoy the nomination-victory, alone and free from any cameras.. and Mike Huckabee is such a gentle, goodmannered, always happy guy, who would say no?

Then Jon Stewart would take off his Mike Huckabee-mask in front of probably Mc Cain, who would instantly be so shocked to leave this world voluntarily, and put on the McCain-mask he so perfectly prepared...

and as Mc Cain he would be equally a gentle, goodmannered, always happy guy, losing against probably Barack Hussein Obama and in similar style congratulate his opponent and likewise invite him to a private party, take off surprisingly his McCain-mask in front of Barack Obama and letting him run out to the public, where he would say to all that listen: "People, listen, McCain is really Jon Stewart or the other way around, seriously I'm not high: Jon Stewart has a McCain-mask on his face..., I'm not joking, I'm serious, stop laughing...."

eventually Obama would be declared insane and put somewhere where he can't hurt himself, and McCain aka Jon Stewart becomes the president of the US after all.

Unfortunately his plan is so brilliant and waterproof that nothing can stop him.

Once he is the president, he will remain it for the rest of his life. How? Easy, he will make masks of whoever wins the elections ever after, congratulate them...and take over their role, he already has a nice Hillary Clinton-mask, including you know what, just in case..

Taliesin

Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I forgot about him but then he made an appearance on SNL for some reason, and the bit was how the only reason he's still in the race is because he's completely ignorant of the American democratic process. What's his deal, is he some kind of a publicity stunt for the Arkansas Tourism Board?
While I may be no fan of him, I would not characterize his persistence in remaining in the race as ignorance in the American democratic processes. Quite the contrary he's showing that he knows it and using it. He has a right to run for president and just because he's staying in doesn't mean something is wrong.

As for him staying in the race, I have no idea why. The same can be said for Ralph Nadar. He's basically a side note in the election and the general election has not even started yet. He got votes in the prior two elections that probably would have helped the democrats (much like Ross Perot did to the republicans before that). Now most people really don't take this latest run for the office very serious.
does that make him ignorant of the democratic process, no he's aware that he'll not win but he can use it as a platform to get his message across.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
he's showing that he knows it and using it.
I was just wondering what he's using it for. It's not like you have to run for president to get on Conan.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Even if McCain did, I believe, if though Romney has dropped out, he still has more delegates than WHuckabee.
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Correction, I now see that Whuckabee has finally gotten enough to be 2 over Romney.
Is it possible for an ex-candidate to undropout?

ie. If McCain suddenly had a huge stroke or something, and Huckabee was still trailing Romney, what would that actually mean?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 10:23 AM

I imagine a candidate could return. His biggest obstacle, however, might be public perception that he's a quitter.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 10:33 AM

Weird.

Anyways, here in Kanuckistan, if a candidate quits, he forfeits his delegates (for obvious reasons).

The nomination process is completely different though. The entire process is completed in one weekend, in one city. All the delegates go to the convention and vote there. They go through a series of votes. Candidates with low votes get booted off the ballot, and then everyone revotes. Wash, rinse, repeat, until only one is left standing.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 01:27 PM

I thought Romney only "suspended" his candidacy, or some other term specifically other than "drop out." Did that change?

...I'm still wondering what the WHole WHuckabee thing was about there, WBuckaroo...

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The nomination process is completely different though. The entire process is completed in one weekend, in one city. All the delegates go to the convention and vote there. They go through a series of votes. Candidates with low votes get booted off the ballot, and then everyone revotes. Wash, rinse, repeat, until only one is left standing.
The American nomination system is so long and tiresome compared to ours.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 03:01 PM

And expensive. They're probably spending more in one state than an entire party will spend on a federal election in Canada.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
... it can only help him in his next run for office.
God help us.

No... wait.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The American nomination system is so long and tiresome compared to ours.
This year is an abnormally long season.

New Hampshire decided that it wanted to be the first to have a primary. Iowa is traditionally first, and so the two made sure to schedule as early as possible, in order to be first. They ended up achieving nothing other than drawing out the campaign season much longer.

Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 10:54 PM

Well Im torn what to do tomorrow. Vote for my heros Paul, or Nader to make a statement. Huckabee cuz he has a chance at being the only good candidate, or Hillary to help draw out an entertaining fight and watch the democratic party destroy itself.

Mar 4, 2008, 12:40 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules