Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How many more must die? (gun battle at SD, CA Apple Store)

How many more must die? (gun battle at SD, CA Apple Store)
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 05:19 PM
 
I can't believe that Apple hires people WITH GUNS to protect its stores. Hasn't there already been enough killing in this world?

Shooting-Reported-at-Otay-Ranch-Town-Center

I'm sure the family of the slain person (who we can't call a perpetrator, because that would be biased) will find a lawyer fast.

Can't somebody stop the madness?
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 05:26 PM
 


I'm laughing at your reaction, because it's ridiculous.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 05:30 PM
 
Wrongo Loungo
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 05:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I'm laughing at your reaction, because it's ridiculous.
I'm laughing at YOU, because finboy's post was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 06:27 PM
 
From an American perspective its business as usual. From the perspective of people from other places around the world it's a little shocking. Either way whats done is done. I don't see anything really news worthy about it except that it was a Apple Store. Had it been at a American Eagle store it wouldn't have been more then local news.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 06:33 PM
 
TBH I couldn't give a shite about people getting shot while trying to rob a store by driving a car through it. Stuff in Libya and the Ivory Coast is far more shocking.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 06:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
From an American perspective its business as usual.
Remind us again how you're qualified to give an American perspective?
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 06:39 PM
 
Greek name.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 07:22 PM
 
Armed robbery is a pretty dangerous career choice. You can easily end up dead. Oh well ... sucks to be him.

OAW
     
finboy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 07:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
From an American perspective its business as usual.
It's business as usual to go around breaking into Apple Stores? To bring a gun while breaking into an Apple Store?

You're right, though; the governments all those furrin countries would likely find that upsetting. After all, aren't THEY the only ones who should have guns. Looting of this type could never happen in someplace as urbane and sophisticated as, say, Egypt or Libya.
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Montréal, Québec (Canada)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 10:05 PM
 
Well I'm not a thief, but I certainly wouldn't expect to be shot at while robbing an Apple Store.. come on, they have insurance for that! Maybe that's because I'm Canadian, but I wouldn't expect to find an ARMED security guard in a store! Here, only police officers and armored truck security can have guns. Certainly not joe-nobody security at Best Buy or similar... they're not supposed to have any kind of authority. In fact, I never speak to them or obey their instruction. Alarm goes off by mistake when I cross the door at Wal-Mart? I continue as if nothing had happened. They have no authority on anybody. They can't even detain you... you can even fight back legally if they try! When I worked in retail, we were even prohibited from interfering with a robbery, we were instructed to not chase the thief..
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 10:13 PM
 
Great job by the security guy. Only people injured or killed were the perps. He deserves one hell of a raise.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 10:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Great job by the security guy. Only people injured or killed were the perps. He deserves one hell of a raise.


-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 10:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Great job by the security guy. Only people injured or killed were the perps. He deserves one hell of a raise.
For once we agree!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 11:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Remind us again how you're qualified to give an American perspective?
I live 20 minutes from America
I spend a ton of time in America
I work for an American Company
I speak to Americans daily
More then Half our Channels are American
Half the news I watch is American
Good portion of my Friends are American



A famous quote from Pierre Trudeau that says it all

Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 11:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
It's business as usual to go around breaking into Apple Stores? To bring a gun while breaking into an Apple Store?

You're right, though; the governments all those furrin countries would likely find that upsetting. After all, aren't THEY the only ones who should have guns. Looting of this type could never happen in someplace as urbane and sophisticated as, say, Egypt or Libya.
You know I was referring to Armed Guard, Armed Criminals, shoot out..... Unless your really trying to tell me this is the first time in America that Rent a Cops got into a gun fight with Criminals...

The US is one of the few countries that allows security to carry weapons. So yes in most of Europe, Australia, south Asian countries this type of thing would be shocking.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 11:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Well I'm not a thief, but I certainly wouldn't expect to be shot at while robbing an Apple Store.. come on, they have insurance for that! Maybe that's because I'm Canadian, but I wouldn't expect to find an ARMED security guard in a store! Here, only police officers and armored truck security can have guns. Certainly not joe-nobody security at Best Buy or similar... they're not supposed to have any kind of authority. In fact, I never speak to them or obey their instruction. Alarm goes off by mistake when I cross the door at Wal-Mart? I continue as if nothing had happened. They have no authority on anybody. They can't even detain you... you can even fight back legally if they try! When I worked in retail, we were even prohibited from interfering with a robbery, we were instructed to not chase the thief..
If they saw you commit a crime they or and any one can place you under a citizens arrest which is legal and so is the detention until your handed over to a peace officer. Pretty sure its universal from coast to coast but then again a lot of things seem to be different in Quebec.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 11:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I live 20 minutes from America
I spend a ton of time in America
I work for an American Company
I speak to Americans daily
More then Half our Channels are American
Half the news I watch is American
Good portion of my Friends are American
Yet, for all the American influence, you still can't get off your Canadian horse.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2011, 11:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yet, for all the American influence, you still can't get off your Canadian horse.

-t
What are you talking about
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
finboy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 12:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
You know I was referring to Armed Guard, Armed Criminals, shoot out..... Unless your really trying to tell me this is the first time in America that Rent a Cops got into a gun fight with Criminals...

The US is one of the few countries that allows security to carry weapons. So yes in most of Europe, Australia, south Asian countries this type of thing would be shocking.
That makes sense (most places STILL don't let armed guards carry weapons here unless they're off-duty cops). So, when the cops don't have guns and the crooks do, what happens?
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 12:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
What are you talking about
The high horse of supposed superiority.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:33 AM
 
I like this report as well.
Florida Beauty Queen Shoots, Kills Intruder | West Orlando News Online 2011® Central Florida News, Info, Sports
A Florida beauty queen told police that she shot and killed an intruder as he fought with her fiance, after the man broke into the couple’s home earlier this month.

Robert (Bobby) Planthaber, Jr. (l) Meghan Brown (r) (Photo credit: Pibillwarner.wordpress.com)
25-year-old Meghan Brown, 2009 Miss Tierra Verde, told cops she opened the door of the home that she shares with her fiance, Robert (Bobby) Planthaber Jr. on March 12, around 3:00 am, believing that it was a friend who needed a bed for the night.
Enter, 42-year-old Albert Hill, the intruder. Hill at first attacked her, Miss Brown told police, then her fiance appeared after she screamed. The two men rolled around and scuffled.
As the two men fought, Miss Brown then went for her pink hand gun in a bedside drawer.
‘I had my gun drawn, focused in on him (Hill); as he moved, my gun moved. I waited for my shot, and when I saw an opening, I fired,’ Miss Brown told the St. Petersburg Times. She shot Hill four times.


Albert Hill
She added that she was ‘glad’ it had been her, as she was quite prepared. Not everyone would have been as prepared, she said.
Hill had a long rap sheet dating back to 1986 and has been in and out of prison. Previously he had been arrested for burglary, grand theft, dealing in cocaine and other crimes, reports the St. Petersburg Times.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the fatal shooting.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Montréal, Québec (Canada)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
That makes sense (most places STILL don't let armed guards carry weapons here unless they're off-duty cops). So, when the cops don't have guns and the crooks do, what happens?
Well you let the thieves get away with a few iPhones and let the real crooks (insurances) pay for it!
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The high horse of supposed superiority.

-t
what drugs are you smoking buddy
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
That makes sense (most places STILL don't let armed guards carry weapons here unless they're off-duty cops). So, when the cops don't have guns and the crooks do, what happens?
Dunno, our cops have guns.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:39 AM
 
You Americans are so damn desensitized to this. This is outrageous. 40 rounds emptied over stolen computers. Yes, they were armed. But certain they weren't going around shooting people. This is computers! Why are we still shooting people over theft? It's morally wrong.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Yes, they were armed.
Fact.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
But certain they weren't going around shooting people.
Conjecture.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Why are we still shooting people over theft?
AFAICT, they weren't shot for theft. They were shot because one of them pulled a gun.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 02:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
You Americans are so damn desensitized to this. This is outrageous. 40 rounds emptied over stolen computers. Yes, they were armed. But certain they weren't going around shooting people. This is computers! Why are we still shooting people over theft? It's morally wrong.
What I read they pulled the gun out first and the guard was defending himself. Just a fact of life that a lot of criminals in the us are packing a gun. I wouldn't want to work security there with out one. But yes they are desensitized to it, which is sad.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 03:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The US is one of the few countries that allows security to carry weapons.
You have it backwards. The government doesn't allow us to carry guns. Our constitution denies it the power to prohibited us from carrying.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 04:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Well you let the thieves get away with a few iPhones and let the real crooks (insurances) pay for it!
"Just let insurance pay for it" is very suspect morality and poor economics. That kind of attitude subsidizes crimes, and anything that is subsidized is almost guaranteed to increase. Passing on the cost of theft or fraud to insurance also increases the costs for everyone who needs to buy insurance since the insurers pass on the increased costs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 04:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You have it backwards. The government doesn't allow us to carry guns. Our constitution denies it the power to prohibited us from carrying.
Except in the capital.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 05:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I can't believe that Apple hires people WITH GUNS to protect its stores. Hasn't there already been enough killing in this world?

Shooting-Reported-at-Otay-Ranch-Town-Center

I'm sure the family of the slain person (who we can't call a perpetrator, because that would be biased) will find a lawyer fast.

Can't somebody stop the madness?
Can't you keep this bullshit flamebait in the Political Lounge?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 05:45 AM
 
As it so happens...
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 07:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
You Americans are so damn desensitized to this. This is outrageous. 40 rounds emptied over stolen computers. Yes, they were armed. But certain they weren't going around shooting people. This is computers! Why are we still shooting people over theft? It's morally wrong.
Please don't make inaccurate statements if you don't know the facts.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 09:18 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Great job by the security guy. Only people injured or killed were the perps. He deserves one hell of a raise.
I've no problem with the armed security guard, but I wonder if there's anything that guarantees all armed security guards are as effective as this one and not some schleb who barely knows how to use a gun and ends up being more dangerous to the public than the bad guys?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 09:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Except in the capital.
And, except anything but the most benign guns (relatively speaking)
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 10:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Why are we still shooting people over theft? It's morally wrong.
...as if this was absolute.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 10:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Why are we still shooting people over theft?
So you admit doing it yourself. Good, that's a start.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 10:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Why are we still shooting people over armed theft? It's morally wrong.
Someone pulls out a gun so they can scare people and steal something, and it's morally wrong that someone else then shoots them?

Everything about your logic is morally wrong.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 11:30 AM
 
Why do I think freudling is playing devil's advocate?
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 11:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Why do I think freudling is playing devil's advocate?
modus operandi
     
finboy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 12:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Just a fact of life that a lot of criminals in the us are packing a gun.
I think the statistics show that the overwhelming majority of criminals in the US don't carry guns, but it's the ones who do that you gotta watch out for.
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 12:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You have it backwards. The government doesn't allow us to carry guns. Our constitution denies it the power to prohibited us from carrying.
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Except in the capital.
The SCOTUS struck down that law, as was one in Chicago.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You have it backwards. The government doesn't allow us to carry guns. Our constitution denies it the power to prohibited us from carrying.
Personal ownership at home yes, but a work place can still deny you the right to have a gun at work. State laws also limit what you can and can't have in public places too. Some places actually made it law that every one carry a gun while others prohibit it. New York State for example if I remember correctly you are not allowed to carry guns around at all and they even limit Handgun ownership. The fact that it is up to the work place is prob why most rent a cops in the US are packing because they have the option to allow it. And im guessing only in states that allow permits to carry as well. I haven't looked but I would not be surprised if some states make it really hard for security guards to carry.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
"Just let insurance pay for it" is very suspect morality and poor economics. That kind of attitude subsidizes crimes, and anything that is subsidized is almost guaranteed to increase. Passing on the cost of theft or fraud to insurance also increases the costs for everyone who needs to buy insurance since the insurers pass on the increased costs.
Well look at it from this point of view then. Safety, not insurance. If you got gun battles breaking out like this in public places, 1 employees are at risk of being shoot and killed. The general public in the area is at risk of being shoot and killed. So take your pick higher insurance for a few thousand dollar items or a few real high medical bills in the tens of thousands and more for treating accidently wounded people.

Using violence with violence tends to make things more violent all around. And I might make a post about it in the PL because it is a good debate topic on its own.

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I think the statistics show that the overwhelming majority of criminals in the US don't carry guns, but it's the ones who do that you gotta watch out for.
Prob, more populated nation, more sensational TV news makes for a impression more carry guns, at least compared to most other western countries. I still think its the risk factor of being challeneged by some one else with a gun and the harsh criminal sentences the legal system hands out that makes for more violent criminals. If you rob a store you better be packing because the clerk might have a gun and if not the clerk another customer. Better not get caught and do or die to get away because if you are its 20+ years in jail.
( Last edited by Athens; Apr 5, 2011 at 01:17 PM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Well look at it from this point of view then. Safety, not insurance. If you got gun battles breaking out like this in public places, 1 employees are at risk of being shoot and killed. The general public in the area is at risk of being shoot and killed.
Strawman.

How many innocent bystanders get shot / killed by weapons fired from private security guards ? Very very few. (I have never heard a news story about that - but that's just anecdotal.)
How many innocent bystanders get shot / killed by armed robbers ? Quite a few.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 01:51 PM
 
Strawman my ass. Its fact. More people get killed during a mutual exchange gun battle at a armed robbery then those that offer no resistance. Its rare that an armed robber is going to kill any one just for the sake of killing some one. Usually its because some one fought back.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 02:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Strawman my ass. Its fact. More people get killed during a mutual exchange gun battle at a armed robbery then those that offer no resistance. Its rare that an armed robber is going to kill any one just for the sake of killing some one. Usually its because some one fought back.
Yes, your ass is where this strawman belongs.

What "its" fact ? That more innocent bystanders get killed by armed security guards than by perpetrators ?

Bullshit. Stop making stuff up.

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 02:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I've no problem with the armed security guard, but I wonder if there's anything that guarantees all armed security guards are as effective as this one and not some schleb who barely knows how to use a gun and ends up being more dangerous to the public than the bad guys?
To get a permit to carry and get bonded you have to show a certain degree of proficiency, about as much as any average gun-toting peace officer.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
finboy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Passing on the cost of theft or fraud to insurance also increases the costs for everyone who needs to buy insurance since the insurers pass on the increased costs.
Uh, they pass on the increased costs to the folks buying insurance (the folks with the security guard). That's yet another reason that a lot of security guards are not allowed to carry guns in the first place - lawyers.

With respect to Athens' comments thus far:

The idea that armed citizens necessitate the arming of crooks is ludicrous. Arming oneself is very risky and expensive, and not a decision to be taken lightly in a business context (see above). I'd argue that crooks with knives, bats, etc. drove honest citizens to the point that they'd have guns sitting around ready.

The naivete of some of these comments (not just Athens) is alarming. There are bad people in the world (like the guy who broke into the Apple Store). They will kill you for what you have, or for whatever for that matter. They will kill you if you see them do something that could put them back into prison. They might kill you if you look at them the wrong way.

I just found it surprising that someone had to die so that people could have their iPad 2s.
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2