Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Major Development on Osama Bin Laden

Major Development on Osama Bin Laden (Page 4)
Thread Tools
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 05:55 PM
 
I can't understand why people want to see photos. First, he's probably quite disgusting looking. Second, that photo would be a rallying point for al Qaeda around the world.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 05:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, I must say the general reaction to that - at least here in Canada - has been pretty overwhelming negative. Most people seem confused - here the news has been pretty much met with a sort of "quiet satisfaction" - finally, it's a relief. But I simply can't imagine anyone wanting to dance in the street aboout it.

Pretty interesting.

greg

Every once in a while I guess Americans need something to justify the exceptionalism they are continually reminded of by American politicians...
( Last edited by besson3c; May 2, 2011 at 06:02 PM. )
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 05:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I always wonder why people are so fascinated with weird conspiracy theories.
Because some people are not only extremely gullible, but also drawn to the least likely scenario in any situation.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 05:59 PM
 
Harder to find: Osama bin Laden or Lionel Richie?


"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You are quite the little tinfoil hat wearer, aren't you?

Next tell me how we faked the moon landing, or how JFK was shot by aliens.
I don't think the moon landing is fake. If you have any evidence to show that it was I would be eager to see it. And Whats that about JFK?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
There are different ways to transliterate from the Arabic script, that being one.
There's only one sound that dammah over alif makes, and that's a short "u" as in "you." The correct pronunciation is actually "Usama."
I know it's stunning that Faux News got something correct.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I don't think the moon landing is fake. If you have any evidence to show that it was I would be eager to see it. And Whats that about JFK?
*Whooooooosh!*
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
It would seem they need to get a reno. That room seems kinda small.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
There's only one sound that dammah over alif makes, and that's a short "u" as in "you." The correct pronunciation is actually "Usama."
I know it's stunning that Faux News got something correct.
Next you'll be reminding me that it's technically incorrect for me to be making penis jokes about Chien-Ming Wang, but I don't care!


"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
But I simply can't imagine anyone wanting to dance in the street aboout it.

Pretty interesting.

greg
Yeah, pretty interesting that you can't put yourself in the aggrieved shoes.
Typical.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, I must say the general reaction to that - at least here in Canada - has been pretty overwhelming negative. Most people seem confused - here the news has been pretty much met with a sort of "quiet satisfaction" - finally, it's a relief. But I simply can't imagine anyone wanting to dance in the street aboout it.

Pretty interesting.

greg
Remember that it's a pretty small group of people, at least here in DC, and primarily student types who appear to equate it with winning a basketball game.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:11 PM
 
Regardless of what you think, I'm flabbergasted this thread is only 4 pages right now.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
 
Athens is doing his part.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Remember that it's a pretty small group of people, at least here in DC, and primarily student types who appear to equate it with winning a basketball game.
Wow, you know this for fact huh?
Hell, I'm Canadian and I did a happy dance.

Some Americans are such a disappointment.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Athens is doing his part.
Not really, he started a separate thread.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by screener View Post
Wow, you know this for fact huh?
Yes. As I said, here in DC.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:22 PM
 
Video footage of the Osama Bin Laden takedown …imagined by crazy Chinese animators
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Yes. As I said, here in DC.
I call you on that, they were all drunk, overturning cars and setting them on fire etc, yada yada. Sure.
Sometimes you Americans are such a disappointment.
Anecdotal crap.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by screener View Post
I call you on that, they were all drunk, overturning cars and setting them on fire etc, yada yada. Sure.
Sometimes you Americans are such a disappointment.
Anecdotal crap.
I agree, completely anecdotal. But that was my observation.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Video footage of the Osama Bin Laden takedown …imagined by crazy Chinese animators
I demand to see Devil wang.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 1999
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:34 PM
 
Go obama!
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I agree, completely anecdotal. But that was my observation.
Maybe you should have done more than watch on tv, or look out the window before making generalizations.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:36 PM
 
Here it is in the original language, with English subtitles:

Osama takedown
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by screener View Post
Maybe you should have done more than watch on tv, or look out the window before making generalizations.
Gee, now who is assuming?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:42 PM
 
A (real) picture of Obama and his team keeping tabs on the raid, from the White House Flickr account:



What is Hillary thinking?
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Gee, now who is assuming?
Am I wrong?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:44 PM
 
Yes, you are wrong.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
well considering its just a CIA cover up to hide the fact he died on natural causes and they had to dispose of any evidence he still worked for the US with the burning of his US funded home and disposal of his body which would have risk the true cause of death getting out to the public. Why would any one be dancing in the streets except gullible Americans? Do you really think it took 10 years to find him? But then again you prob believe that 9/11 was not a manufactured event for political gain either. No jumping for joy here. Hes dead so what. I can almost say for sure the death of G.W. Bush when ever that happens will spark more world joy then Osama's death.
Congrats on your new low.
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 06:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Yes, you are wrong.
Apologies.
Did they know why they were out there or just partying for the sake of partying.
Did you get a sense of "ding dong the devil is dead" or what some are saying, patriotism and justice being served.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
What is Hillary thinking?
I did NOT just see Army dude watching the baby eagles.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Denville, NJ.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:41 PM
 
Earlier reports were that it was the 5th Special Forces Group (which includes Delta Force) that got him. Apparently it was a Seal Team, the Dev Group Team, Formerly known as Seal Team 6. That's the bunch started by Richard Marcinko, a truly scary individual.


DickMarcinko.com - Rogue Warrior - Biography
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:44 PM
 
Time to sit down with some good ADD meds and a few low-budget French documentaries with the spooky music and build up my theory of why Osama's unusually large digs went undetected near the capital of Pakistan and a Pakistani military installation.

Wait, we went into this action unannounced to the Pakistani officials? So really they just weren't much help to us after all. Meh... screw it. I'm hitting the ADD meds for the low budget French documentaries with spooky music and develop some theories anyway. Nuthin' else to do.
ebuddy
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by screener View Post
Apologies.
Did they know why they were out there or just partying for the sake of partying.
Did you get a sense of "ding dong the devil is dead" or what some are saying, patriotism and justice being served.
My sense and what I heard from many was that a lot of people were out there because they didn't want to miss the "historical moment," and so you got a critical mass of partying. It was sort of meta.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I'm hitting the ADD meds
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
My sense and what I heard from many was that a lot of people were out there because they didn't want to miss the "historical moment," and so you got a critical mass of partying. It was sort of meta.
Nothing wrong with that.
But equating it with winning a basketball game?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
My sense and what I heard from many was that a lot of people were out there because they didn't want to miss the "historical moment," and so you got a critical mass of partying. It was sort of meta.
I did observe something that made me a little more proud of our version of the mania and that is the diversity represented in terms of age, ethnicity, and gender and the fact that burning the articles of other countries and figures was not part of the fanfare.
ebuddy
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:53 PM
 
Who here is unhappy about OBL's death?
ebuddy
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:54 PM
 
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Congrats on your new low.
Thank you but I don't see how this is a new low.... Any one who looks at the evidence of 9/11 with a unbiased eye would see nothing stacks up. Everything absolutely everything is wrong with it. But hey some people prefer to just live oblivious to the truth because it feels better or safe.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by screener View Post
Nothing wrong with that.
But equating it with winning a basketball game?
Our "team" won. The feeling in the crowd was much the same and left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth since this is not the end by any means.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I did observe something that made me a little more proud of our version of the mania and that is the diversity represented in terms of age, ethnicity, and gender and the fact that burning the articles of other countries and figures was not part of the fanfare.
That's a good point.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Thank you but I don't see how this is a new low.... Any one who looks at the evidence of 9/11 with a unbiased eye would see nothing stacks up. Everything absolutely everything is wrong with it. But hey some people prefer to just live oblivious to the truth because it feels better or safe.
Your unbiased eye seems pretty biased.
     
Senior User
Join Date: May 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 08:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Our "team" won. The feeling in the crowd was much the same and left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth since this is not the end by any means.
Except it isn't a game and no, it isn't over but it is a big victory that shouldn't have taken so long.

No bad taste in my mouth, ding dong the devil's dead.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 08:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Is there a reason for being particular about calling him a Muslim?
Exactly, for all we know, he could be a Christian wacko.

Oh, wait, I thought we were talking about Obama.



-t
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 09:51 PM
 
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 3, 2011, 12:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Thank you but I don't see how this is a new low.... Any one who looks at the evidence of 9/11 with a unbiased eye would see nothing stacks up. Everything absolutely everything is wrong with it. But hey some people prefer to just live oblivious to the truth because it feels better or safe.

Bwhahahah!

Lemme guess, the Youtube video proves everything.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 3, 2011, 01:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Bwhahahah!

Lemme guess, the Youtube video proves everything.
Do you really want me to get on about everything wrong with 9/11?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 3, 2011, 03:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Do you really want me to get on about everything wrong with 9/11?
Yes, I'd like you to, but not in this thread.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 3, 2011, 05:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Do you really want me to get on about everything wrong with 9/11?
Don't bother, we already know you'll post the Zeitgeist video as your source.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 3, 2011, 07:27 AM
 
It's amazing what this country can accomplish when the playstation network is turned off and people aren't spending all day playing C.o.D.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2