Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Screw Greece - let them eat cake

Screw Greece - let them eat cake
Thread Tools
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2011, 07:40 PM
 
WTF ? Let them go f*cking broke.



Stupid-ass Germans and Europeans are still throwing good money after bad.

It's impossible that Greece gets out of this mess w/o restructuring. Everyone knows it. Giving them more money is like giving more heroin to a junkie. It's kicking the can down the road.

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2011, 08:14 PM
 
God damn EU Buddhists.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2011, 08:34 PM
 


-t
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2011, 08:40 PM
 
With respect, your commentary is pretty meaningless without context or a link. There are pro-Nazi rallies held by morons all over the world.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2011, 08:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
With respect, your commentary is pretty meaningless without context or a link. There are pro-Nazi rallies held by morons all over the world.
The context is that these Greeks are likening the EU to the Third Reich and telling it to "F off" by means of the moutza.

The swastika inside the EU ring of stars is a well-known anti-EU flag all over Europe.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
With respect, your commentary is pretty meaningless without context or a link. There are pro-Nazi rallies held by morons all over the world.
Good point. The article I took the pic from is in German, so it wouldn't be of much use.
Doofy already set the stage for the context. I'll supply some english language later.

-t
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 5, 2011, 08:58 AM
 
Have they figured out a Euro exit mechanism yet?

Was pretty shortsighted not to bake one in from the start.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 5, 2011, 09:52 AM
 
No, they did not. It was very shortsighted, and naive.

Coincidentally, the countries in Europe are like the states in the US: bad behavior gets rewarded by the EU / Federal government.

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 5, 2011, 10:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Have they figured out a Euro exit mechanism yet?

Was pretty shortsighted not to bake one in from the start.
The intention behind the Euro was to further the permanent political power of the EU, thus no exit mechanism was devised.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 6, 2011, 12:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF ? Let them go f*cking broke.

Stupid-ass Germans and Europeans are still throwing good money after bad.

It's impossible that Greece gets out of this mess w/o restructuring. Everyone knows it. Giving them more money is like giving more heroin to a junkie. It's kicking the can down the road.
They're still doing the same thing in the US with this bailouts and failure-to-restructure as well.

GENIUS VIDEO: Bank Bailouts Explained - The Screwing Of The American�People - Home - The Daily Bail
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Have they figured out a Euro exit mechanism yet?
They got their game plan:

Testosterone Pit - Home - Paying Lip Service To Saving The�Eurozone

Greece is dead. Default is coming in the next weeks. No way around it.
Europe will have a oh-shit-style Lehman Brothers moment, Portugal will be next in line to default sometime later this year.

Greece at the Point of no Return | ZeroHedge

-t
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
 
The actual physical implementation should be interesting. All sorts of problems come up if they announce it too far in advance. But they have to start printing drachmas so they have enough on hand for the first bank day.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
 
The actual physical imlementation will be a huge mess - just like everything else in Greece in the last 10 years.

Expect the Euro to stick around as the only currency that will buy anything for an extended period of time.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
 
There are some in the UK that say the Germans should just pay back, with interest of course, what was taken from the Greek Central Bank in WW2.

Hmmm, how many billions would that be?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
There are some in the UK that say the Germans should just pay back, with interest of course, what was taken from the Greek Central Bank in WW2.

Hmmm, how many billions would that be?
From googling I've found references to $23B (unclear on what year the dollars were measured in, but I assume they mean current year) that was 80% repaid. So maybe $4.6B? Greece needs a $300B bailout.



"They force borrowed from the Central Bank of Greece 10,582,120 British gold pounds, equivalent to $23.5 billion."

Dertilis, G. B. "Results of the steps taken to compensate the country and individual victims". In Nazi gold: the London Conference, 2-4 December 1997, 300-301. London: HMSO, 1997.
Note: Approximately 80% of the gold claimed by Greece after WWII was restituted; the rest represented looted private holdings with incomplete claims. The author notes other claims that have not been met including silver, an imposed loan to Nazi Germany.
Shelved in the NARA Library at HV6665.G3L66 1997.
( Last edited by mduell; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:16 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
There are some in the UK that say the Germans should just pay back, with interest of course, what was taken from the Greek Central Bank in WW2.

Hmmm, how many billions would that be?
Ouch.
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Ouch.
I read today that Greece actually created a 13th "month" in order to avoid cutting worker pay as agreed to in order to secure debt concessions. They'd pay a 13th monthly check so that they could tell the German bankers that expenses were down by 4%. What cheez whiz!
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
 
Only paying 13 months/year would be a cut, I think they were paying 13.5 or 14 before.

Seriously.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
 
Yes. It's customary in many European countries.

The 13th month pay covers vacations, the 14th month Christmas spending.
It's like a bouns, but w/o any merit component.

Entitled, lazy *&#$%^*.

-t
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Germany, 51°51´51" N, 9°05´41" E
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Only paying 13 months/year would be a cut, I think they were paying 13.5 or 14 before.

Seriously.
I read that too. From what i´m getting from International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News and other sources, one of the main problems is the lack of a functional tax authority leaving it unfeasible for the state Greece to raise and collect taxes in sufficient and (of course) legally justified amounts. The "rich greeks" seem to have transferred most of their money quietly to foreign countries during the last two years and the greek government is forced by the IWF/EZB/EU to accomplish the saving targets by simply reducing the minimum wages and pensions of the "normal people". Poor Greeks - and poor other "normal people" in the rest of the EU.


Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
 
On the plus side, very cheap vacations in Greece for many years to come. We're probably going there this year, after Emma pops out and gets a little older.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Germany, 51°51´51" N, 9°05´41" E
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
On the plus side, very cheap vacations in Greece for many years to come. We're probably going there this year, after Emma pops out and gets a little older.
sigh.


Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2012, 11:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by euphras View Post
sigh.
Hey, it's a good thing. We spend like crazed Japanese business men when we're vacationing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Nashua NH, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 12:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
There are some in the UK that say the Germans should just pay back, with interest of course, what was taken from the Greek Central Bank in WW2.
They should shut up till they pay back all the lend-lease loans from WW2. Glass houses and stones and all.
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes. It's customary in many European countries.

The 13th month pay covers vacations, the 14th month Christmas spending.
It's like a bouns, but w/o any merit component.

Entitled, lazy *&#$%^*.

-t
Can you point to another country that does it that way? I travel in large parts of Europe, and I've never heard of it before. It would be a huge disadvantage for manufacturing, so I can't believe that anyone would put a plant in such a country, and we have plants in a lot of European countries.

The 13 or 14 months thing was originally a way to get around a salary cap-like thing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by P View Post
Can you point to another country that does it that way? I travel in large parts of Europe, and I've never heard of it before. It would be a huge disadvantage for manufacturing, so I can't believe that anyone would put a plant in such a country, and we have plants in a lot of European countries.

The 13 or 14 months thing was originally a way to get around a salary cap-like thing.
When was the last time you built a new plant in Europe?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by P View Post
Can you point to another country that does it that way? I travel in large parts of Europe, and I've never heard of it before. It would be a huge disadvantage for manufacturing, so I can't believe that anyone would put a plant in such a country, and we have plants in a lot of European countries.

The 13 or 14 months thing was originally a way to get around a salary cap-like thing.
I know it from Germany. They call it "13tes Monatsgehalt".
I used to get 50% of a months salary for vacation, and 50% of a months salary for Christmas.

I think this has been cut back in Germany quite a bit in teh last years, as part of becoming more competitive.

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
 
Speaking of 13 months, I would love to move to an international 13 month calendar of 28 days plus New Year's Day and an occasional Leap Day. It's always 4 weeks, the week starts on a Monday, and the days never change year to year.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
 
Interesting idea.

So, on New Years, the count goes like this ?

Monday - New Years Eve (12/31)
New Years (01/01)
Tuesday (01/02)

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Speaking of 13 months, I would love to move to an international 13 month calendar of 28 days plus New Year's Day and an occasional Leap Day. It's always 4 weeks, the week starts on a Monday, and the days never change year to year.
A lunar calender would make my life easier, that's for sure.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
 
Vacationing might be cheap, but I'm not taking my family anywhere near turmoil. That includes downtown Boston.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 15, 2012 at 01:18 PM. )
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
 
And no daylight savings.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 02:09 AM
 
You guys are only getting half of the picture. Spending is only part of the problem. The real cause of the crisis is systemic tax evasion by not only the "rich" but even the middle class. Nobody in Greece has been paying their fair share of taxes.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
 
Well yes, and this is nothing the EU can fix. Greece needs to fix themselves. And it won't happen before their is a true revolution. Maybe even civil war. This is nothing bureaucrats can fix on paper.

-t
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 02:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well yes, and this is nothing the EU can fix. Greece needs to fix themselves. And it won't happen before their is a true revolution. Maybe even civil war. This is nothing bureaucrats can fix on paper.

-t
No, what needs to happen is temporary martial law and force everyone to pay their f'ing taxes or get sent to prison. A revolution will solve nothing because it it the "people" who are the problem in Greece. They want everything without actually paying for it in income taxes. It's called "theft".

Members of the middle class have large houses with swimming pools in their backyard and I'm not talking about those temporary ones but actual "in the ground" swimming pools. The government spent money that they did not have because nobody was willing to pay anything.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 02:52 AM
 
Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
The government spent money that they did not have
Sorry, that's still the main problem right there. Dressing it up, making excuses for it, who did or didn't do something else doesn't change it. If the taxes don't come in, you don't get to spend like crazy. That's how the real world works anyway. I realize that all governments operate outside the real world, and some more than others.

Look at the bright side though- in the US we've got knuckleheads doing everything in their power (and way beyond) to drive our country straight into the same toilet Greece is in. Spending money we don't have. Misery loves company, and Greece will have a lot of company.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 03:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Sorry, that's still the main problem right there. Dressing it up, making excuses for it, who did or didn't do something else doesn't change it. If the taxes don't come in, you don't get to spend like crazy. That's how the real world works anyway. I realize that all governments operate outside the real world, and some more than others.

Look at the bright side though- in the US we've got knuckleheads doing everything in their power (and way beyond) to drive our country straight into the same toilet Greece is in. Spending money we don't have. Misery loves company, and Greece will have a lot of company.
Sorry but if you used the services of the government knowing full well that you were not paying your taxes then you are a thief, period.

Did you expect them to just shut down the government? Did you see the riots? The people there were part of the problem. They had irrational expectations to continue to receive the benefits of government programs without actually paying taxes. That does not compute.

Listen, I hate paying my taxes in Canada like the next guy but I'm smart enough to understand that I have to pay some taxes to someone to keep the country or province I live in running.

I would prefer to have the provincial government collect income tax instead of the federal government and just pay a 10 percent federal sales tax while abolishing the provincial sales tax all together. The provincial governments in Canada are the ones that deliver the lion's share of services to citizens anyway and I'm tired of having my federal tax money subsidizing the ridiculous social welfare in Quebec. I also don't think we should subsidize the atlantic provinces. Let them collapse and have the people move westward if necessary.

The federal government should be much smaller than it is and survive on import taxes and duties, import tariffs and sales tax. I know that is not going to happen but that is how it should work. Maybe the provinces could pay some money to the federal government for defence and border control.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 03:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Sorry but if you used the services of the government knowing full well that you were not paying your taxes then you are a thief, period.
If you spent money you didn't have proving 'services' for someone who shouldn't be receiving them, then you're a thief, period. And that's pretty much where the buck stops.

But like I said, not to worry- it's the model that other governments are doing everything they can (legal or otherwise) to emulate, not run away from.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 03:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It's like a bouns, but w/o any merit component.

Entitled, lazy *&#$%^*.

-t
Not like those bank CEO's then?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 08:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
They should shut up till they pay back all the lend-lease loans from WW2. Glass houses and stones and all.
You need to read more, and I don't mean comics. End of 2006 the loans were repaid.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
From googling I've found references to $23B (unclear on what year the dollars were measured in, but I assume they mean current year) that was 80% repaid. So maybe $4.6B? Greece needs a $300B bailout.

"They force borrowed from the Central Bank of Greece 10,582,120 British gold pounds, equivalent to $23.5 billion."

Dertilis, G. B. "Results of the steps taken to compensate the country and individual victims". In Nazi gold: the London Conference, 2-4 December 1997, 300-301. London: HMSO, 1997.
Note: Approximately 80% of the gold claimed by Greece after WWII was restituted; the rest represented looted private holdings with incomplete claims. The author notes other claims that have not been met including silver, an imposed loan to Nazi Germany.
Shelved in the NARA Library at HV6665.G3L66 1997.
Cheers for that, I didn't realize any had been paid back.
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
When was the last time you built a new plant in Europe?
Built new, no - those decisions are slightly above my pay grade - but we are constantly moving products between (internal) plants in different countries for cost reasons, and eventually plants that are not making money are closed. I would know if the sort of benefits the Greeks are offering were common in any of the countries we do business in. While we have no business in Greece, we do in most European countries.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 10:14 AM
 
In France there are companies that pay staff over 13 months. The 13th month is split in 2 and you get half of it at the end of June and half in mid-December.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Not like those bank CEO's then?
It's always been my opinion that the big banks should have been let go bankrupt (no bailouts), and the banksters prosecuted for breaking all kinds of laws. In the subprime mortgage fiasco was enough criminal activity that you could jail most bankers. But they are shielded by corrupt and paid-off politicians, that's why nothing is happening.

In the end, it still needs a revolution (in Greece, as well as here), because you need to purge the system from corruption both on Wall Street and Washington.

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Interesting idea.

So, on New Years', the count goes like this ?

Monday - New Year's Eve (12/31)
New Years (01/01)
Tuesday (01/02)
Not quite. The neat thing about this calendar is that the last day of the month is always a Sunday and it's always the 28th. So it would be:

Sunday - New Year's Eve 13/28/2012 (remember, December is now the 13th month.)
New Year's Day, 2013 (it's its own day, not apart of a month. Just referred to as New Year's Day followed by the year.)
Monday - 01/01/2013

Leap Day follows the same format as New Year's Day, except it takes place between June and Sol (Sol being the new month, but I'm not keen on the name. I'd rather it be named Luna since it's a lunar calendar.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
 
Cool. I could live with that.

Would throw a monkey wrench in financial reporting though. How do you report Quarterly numbers ?

Q1 = Jan 1 - April 7 ?

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
You guys are only getting half of the picture. Spending is only part of the problem. The real cause of the crisis is systemic tax evasion by not only the "rich" but even the middle class. Nobody in Greece has been paying their fair share of taxes.
I wonder if they have EITC like we have here, where people pay NEGATIVE taxes. Not just 'opportunity cost' negative taxes, or shadow rebates by not paying for services they use, but actual receipt of dollars back that they never paid into the system. Do they already have that, too.
He can be fixed -- you can't.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Cool. I could live with that.

Would throw a monkey wrench in financial reporting though. How do you report Quarterly numbers ?

Q1 = Jan 1 - April 7 ?
Yep. Every 91 days, or 13 weeks. 364 days is evenly divisible by 4. Seems even simpler to me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2012, 04:14 PM
 
LOL, someone put Greece up for sale on eBay:

Today's Ebay Special - The Country Of Greece | ZeroHedge

-t
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Nashua NH, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2012, 04:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You need to read more, and I don't mean comics. End of 2006 the loans were repaid.
10% nominal value at a 2% interest rate is a gesture not a repayment.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2