Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Six down, 44 to go!

Six down, 44 to go!
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 25, 2011, 08:39 AM
 
Awesome! The day is coming when people will realize that all the fussin' and fightin' over this issue was stupid. (Well, most people will; some will go to their graves getting bent out of shape over something that doesn't affect them)

New York governor signs same-sex marriage bill into law - CNN.com
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
 
New York legalizes gay marriage, and already my wife is on a plane for the other side of the country!

My marriage has been destroyed! (Until I meet up with her again on Tuesday...)
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 25, 2011, 10:55 AM
 
Between the fact that the state budget was done on time, the property tax cap, and this vote , Cuomo has proven that he knows how to get votes for his agenda in the divided Legislature. Either he really is an effective politician, or he's got some good blackmail material on the Republicans in the Senate who ended up voting for it.

With a record like that, he's making himself a good Presidential candidate in 2016, at least to people who don't have heebie-jeebies over the gays being so gay.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 1999
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 28, 2011, 10:56 PM
 
proud of my state

why do conservatives care again?

religion right? kinda dumb...sorry but yesh
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 12:47 AM
 
The fact that gay marriage is still an issue is disappointing. Sort of like the fact that Barack Obama becoming President was a milestone was disappointing. It just shows that prejudice is still alive and well in America.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 02:31 AM
 
Considering that 31 states have amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage, it would seem that nationwide acceptance won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

Government has no business being involved in marriage, at all.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 05:31 AM
 
I agree in a basic sense, but I'm curious what's your take on being able to get citizenship for a spouse?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 11:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Considering that 31 states have amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage, it would seem that nationwide acceptance won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

Government has no business being involved in marriage, at all.
Not a minor detail to be sure, but states have been known to revisit their constitutions once in a while, and peoples' views do change. Older people are more likely to be against gay marriage, and as they die, the current young, who are more tolerant (because they realize their lives aren't affected by gay people) will offer little to no resistance to changing constitutions and laws.

The fact still remains that, just over a decade ago, there were no states that afforded its citizens these rights; gay marriage is the fastest growing rights issue ever. It took many decades for blacks to be equal citizens, and it took many decades for women to be afforded the right to vote.

It will happen. The only thing temporarily blocking it now is the shrill screaming of a a few, but vocal, people who aren't secure in their own beliefs.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 05:23 PM
 
As young liberals age and observe the world they become conservative. I don't agree with the argument.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 05:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
As young liberals age and observe the world they become conservative.
We have old liberals. I don't agree with that argument.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It will happen. The only thing temporarily blocking it now is the shrill screaming of a a few, but vocal, people who aren't secure in their own beliefs.
Temporarily? It's a constitutional amendment, passed by the populace, right? I imagine it's a much larger hurdle to get repealed compared to state legislatures passing a law.

The greatest genius in having the amendment passed is it feeds on complacency.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 06:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
As young liberals age and observe the world they become conservative. I don't agree with the argument.
Gays become less gay when they get older? I don't think it works that way.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 07:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Considering that 31 states have amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage, it would seem that nationwide acceptance won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

Government has no business being involved in marriage, at all.

If government has no business being involved in marriage, does this mean that you do not support states banning gay marriage?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 1999
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 09:28 PM
 
^^

that's a really good question besson

the state is still the government...
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
As young liberals age and observe the world they become conservative. I don't agree with the argument.
That's a tired old myth.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
That's a tired old myth.
Indeed. As if people that become liberal as they age don't exist as well. There are numerous lIberals that were conservatives under Reagan and/or George H. W. Bush
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2011, 01:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If government has no business being involved in marriage, does this mean that you do not support states banning gay marriage?
Oh sh*t, making me click your damned post so I can read it...

No, I don't support the ban. Barring government getting the hell out of the marriage business, which won't happen, I support any mentally sound adults getting married. That includes heteros, gays, and poly-unions.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2011, 01:41 AM
 
Shaddim: I commend you for your consistency. I agree too


P.S. stop making me click your damn posts
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 10:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Awesome! The day is coming when people will realize that all the fussin' and fightin' over this issue was stupid. (Well, most people will; some will go to their graves getting bent out of shape over something that doesn't affect them)
While I don't give a toss if two folks of any persuasion want to get married to each other (i.e. be as gay as you like as long as you're not doing it on my lawn), it's not true to say that it won't affect people.

For example, there's been numerous examples of guest houses turning away gay couples and being prosecuted for it. Basically, owners of guest house follow religious rules and thus don't allow unmarried or gay couples. So gay marriage in law most certainly affects those who choose to live by certain religious convictions. The shouty gay couples tend to force their ways onto everyone else and don't care about anyone else's rights.

Of course, the obvious solution to all of this is to make divorce illegal (or at least make the marriage vows an enforceable contract). Then we'll see how many peeps get married.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 10:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
For example, there's been numerous examples of guest houses turning away gay couples and being prosecuted for it. Basically, owners of guest house follow religious rules and thus don't allow unmarried or gay couples.
By that logic, a guest house owned by Saudis should be able to ban women from driving in their parking lot.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
While I don't give a toss if two folks of any persuasion want to get married to each other (i.e. be as gay as you like as long as you're not doing it on my lawn), it's not true to say that it won't affect people.

For example, there's been numerous examples of guest houses turning away gay couples and being prosecuted for it. Basically, owners of guest house follow religious rules and thus don't allow unmarried or gay couples. So gay marriage in law most certainly affects those who choose to live by certain religious convictions. The shouty gay couples tend to force their ways onto everyone else and don't care about anyone else's rights.

Of course, the obvious solution to all of this is to make divorce illegal (or at least make the marriage vows an enforceable contract). Then we'll see how many peeps get married.
When I can ban Christians from my business, then it will be just fine to ban gays from yours.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:37 AM
 
I think as long as your patrons are "members" instead of "customers," you can exclude anyone you want. RIght? What does "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" mean?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I think as long as your patrons are "members" instead of "customers," you can exclude anyone you want. RIght? What does "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" mean?
Very little, actually.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 12:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
When I can ban Christians from my business, then it will be just fine to ban gays from yours.
I have no intention of banning gays from my business. However, I can see how the problem arises when people running guest houses (which tend to be people's homes) run into this kind of thing.

Interesting that you mention "Christians" when I simply said "religious persuasion". Forgetting about those who still kill gays for being gay, are we?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 12:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I have no intention of banning gays from my business. However, I can see how the problem arises when people running guest houses (which tend to be people's homes) run into this kind of thing.

Interesting that you mention "Christians" when I simply said "religious persuasion". Forgetting about those who still kill gays for being gay, are we?
Not forgetting anything. I merely used 'Christians' and 'you' as examples. Didn't mean to imply anything about you personally.

And I wouldn't ban Chtistians, or anyone else, from my business.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 12:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
And I wouldn't ban Chtistians, or anyone else, from my business.
You should probably ban fat chicks if you're running an "all you can eat" diner.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 01:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
By that logic, a guest house owned by Saudis should be able to ban women from driving in their parking lot.
They might also be allowed to cut your hands off for stealing towels.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 02:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You should probably ban fat chicks if you're running an "all you can eat" diner.
Good point!

Although my business is software development, so there are probably a few situtions in which I might simply turn down a client. It certainly wouldn't be because of their religion, but there are probably some circumstances in which it might be related to their religion.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 03:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You should probably ban fat chicks if you're running an "all you can eat" diner.
If you did that, who would make your rockin' world go round?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 06:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You should probably ban fat chicks if you're running an "all you can eat" diner.
If you did that, who would make your rockin' world go round?
Apparently fat guys.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 07:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
If you did that, who would make your rockin' world go round?
You can have a fat-bottom girl without her actually being fat everywhere else. Jus' sayin'.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 09:07 PM
 
This story is three years old, but it illustrates one of the many issues that are sure to pop up in the near future
Gay Rights, Religious Liberties: A Three-Act Story : NPR
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 09:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
This story is three years old, but it illustrates one of the many issues that are sure to pop up in the near future
Gay Rights, Religious Liberties: A Three-Act Story : NPR
And that's what's been happening here. Not content with being allowed to marry, they (the shouty ones) want to marry where they want to marry, regardless of whether or not it infringes on someone else's rights. And when told they can't, they whine to the authorities.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 10:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
And that's what's been happening here. Not content with being allowed to marry, they (the shouty ones) want to marry where they want to marry, regardless of whether or not it infringes on someone else's rights. And when told they can't, they whine to the authorities.
Another one of your usual unfounded stereotypical generalities, which is just a smokescreen to attempt to focus the issue away from the main question. All issues have "shouty" ones, who claim they want certain things. Those "shouty" ones included people like Susan B. Anthony, Martin Luther King, and so on, and sometimes they're necessary to get the attention of the mainstream, many of whom it appears would still like to live in caves, like they had in "the good old days."
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Another one of your usual unfounded stereotypical generalities, which is just a smokescreen to attempt to focus the issue away from the main question. All issues have "shouty" ones, who claim they want certain things. Those "shouty" ones included people like Susan B. Anthony, Martin Luther King, and so on, and sometimes they're necessary to get the attention of the mainstream, many of whom it appears would still like to live in caves, like they had in "the good old days."
No, retard - stop putting words into my mouth to suit your closed-minded worldview. It's a fact that here (which is where I was talking about) there's a good number of gays who're very militant and shouty, which does cause problems for other people. There's no stereotypes about it - it's a fact.

We've already got gay marriage here in the civilised world, thus I'm able to make observations about how it tends to fit in with society. So shut your stupid, fat, bigoted mouth.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:04 PM
 
Oh, and Karl... Unfounded?

Christian couple can't run straight-only hotel:
Hotel owners barred gay couple on religious grounds, court told | World news | The Guardian

But gays can run gay-only hotel:
Philbeach Hotel - Earls Court - England - London West - Hotel / Bed and Breakfast / Guest House

See how that works out? No, I suspect you won't.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:25 PM
 
Has there been lawsuits to force pastors into performing the "marriage" ceremony?
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2011
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:28 PM
 
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No, retard - stop putting words into my mouth to suit your closed-minded worldview. It's a fact that here (which is where I was talking about) there's a good number of gays who're very militant and shouty, which does cause problems for other people. There's no stereotypes about it - it's a fact.

We've already got gay marriage here in the civilised world, thus I'm able to make observations about how it tends to fit in with society. So shut your stupid, fat, bigoted mouth.
Can't get the point, call names. Just what I expected from you.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:50 PM
 
Did you read what you posted? It says "could," and it shows nothing that says that's what will happen. IOW, it's classical fear mongering, designed to stir up emotions, which causes people to lose their sense of logic, which in turn brings about the type of response you posted.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Did you read what you posted? It says "could," and it shows nothing that says that's what will happen. IOW, it's classical fear mongering, designed to stir up emotions, which causes people to lose their sense of logic, which in turn brings about the type of response you posted.
Alternate title: Clergymen could be sued for marrying gays.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Alternate title: Clergymen could be sued for marrying gays.
From the article:

The amendment stated: “For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this Act places an obligation on religious organisations to host civil partnerships if they do not wish to do so.”

Apparently you don't understand fear mongering either.

I could be sued for a lot of things, but I would win if there were no factual basis for the suits.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2011, 11:58 PM
 
I was agreeing with you. It'd have been just as easy to write an article that clergymen can be sued for marrying gays.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2011, 12:00 AM
 
My bad. It's sometimes hard to read intent.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2011, 05:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
My bad. It's sometimes hard to read intent.
That's because you go through life assuming that you know people's intent. Like the bigot you are. I've been nothing but neutral in this thread and simply reported outcome but you've assumed somehow that I'm anti-gay. You're the one who's stereotyping all the time Karl. It's a shame you can't see that.

Now, I understand that it's quite hard to not be a bigot in that shithole of a culture you live in, where everyone is either a Dem or a GOPper and there's no room for any independent thinkers, but some of us aren't in your stupid argumentative culture. So think on next time you open your bigoted fat mouth.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2011, 08:00 AM
 
2.5 Million British Men Too Fat To See Their Penis

Cleary not enough English men are on the slimming semen diet as I suspected.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2011, 08:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
2.5 Million British Men Too Fat To See Their Penis

Cleary not enough English men are on the slimming semen diet as I suspected.
Don't be confusing "British" with "English". Us English blokes are all lovely and slim (without the aid of semen, mostly). It's those fatties up north who tip the balance with their deep fried everything and pints of heavy.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Don't be confusing "British" with "English". Us English blokes are all lovely and slim (without the aid of semen, mostly). It's those fatties up north who tip the balance with their deep fried everything and pints of heavy.
So I'm assuming you've never been to Essex?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
So I'm assuming you've never been to Essex?
I'm, of course, joking. Last time I went to the local Tesco I couldn't move for people who were too fat to see their own penis. Which is why I don't bother going any more and send the maid instead.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2011, 09:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I've been nothing but neutral in this thread
For someone who's "neutral," you're throwing around a lot of insults.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2