Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Conceal Carry, the 2nd Amendment, & Vigilantism

Conceal Carry, the 2nd Amendment, & Vigilantism (Page 15)
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 03:29 PM

^^^^

The Orlando Sentinel for one.

OAW

Games Meister
Jun 1, 2012, 03:30 PM

I think they're just gussying the story up.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 03:39 PM

^^^^

You're probably right. It does make for more tantalizing copy I suppose. As for the transcript you mentioned, thus far I haven't seen it. I suspect we probably won't. But most articles I'm reading are saying something along this line:

Prosecutors had filed a motion today to revoke his bond, accusing Zimmerman of "deceiving" the court about his finances and his possession of a second passport, which he apparently acquired two weeks after the shooting.

"The court was led to believe that they didn't have a single penny," said prosecutor Bernie De La Rionda. "If this [the money] wasn't relevant to bond then why did they lie about it? I don't know what other words to use besides that it was a blatant lie."

The judge seemed to agree.

"They were well aware of the money that was available," Judge Kenneth Lester.

In recordings of conversations released today during a court hearing, Zimmerman and his wife, Shelly Zimmerman, cryptically talk about his second passport in a safety deposit box they shared.

Although one of his passports was due to expire in May, prosecutors said today, Zimmerman applied for a second passport, informing the State Department that the original had been lost lost or stolen.

In some of the phone calls between the two, she is at a credit union that was linked to his PayPal account and speaking to a teller. The prosecution said that despite being in jail, Zimmerman was "intimately involved in the deposit and transfer of money into various accounts."

In the conversations Zimmerman and his wife speak in code -- reducing the amounts in their financial accounts by a factor of 1,000. Prosecutors said the couple knew that their jailhouse conversations were likely being recorded.
George Zimmerman's Bond Revoked

Like I said ... not a good look.

OAW

Games Meister
Jun 1, 2012, 03:44 PM

...that's the story I just posted.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 03:51 PM

^^^^

Ha! You're right! I went looking after you asked about the transcript and didn't see your next post.

OAW

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 04:41 PM

Flight Risk!
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Why are they shifting their stories?

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Assuming you're polite about it, what's the downside to just flat-out asserting your rights?
The difference is that if you do it the way ghporter suggested, you might get to spend the night in your own bed. If you just blatantly invoke your right to an attorney, you'll probably spend the night in jail.

Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2012, 06:15 PM

Then your attorney sucks.

Games Meister
Jun 1, 2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why are they shifting their stories?
Because eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. I hope the prosecution isn't planning on relying on them heavily.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Because eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. I hope the prosecution isn't planning on relying on them heavily.
Indeed. Especially cross-racial identification at night.

OAW

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 07:11 PM

Then your attorney sucks.
Let me change that a bit, then. If you do it the way ghporter suggested, you might never go to jail. You might be released on the scene. If you invoke your attorney, you will almost certainly go to jail, and your attorney may or may not get you out the same day.

Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Let me change that a bit, then. If you do it the way ghporter suggested, you might never go to jail. You might be released on the scene. If you invoke your attorney, you will almost certainly go to jail, and your attorney may or may not get you out the same day.
How could you possibly be released on the scene without answering questions? You just shot someone.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 09:35 PM

I stepped into it, didn't I? Let's say there are some behaviors that (supported by the on-scene evidence) will earn the benefit of the doubt from the police. Lawyering up isn't one of those.

Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2012, 09:49 PM

If the evidence is such that the benefit of the doubt of the police is going to play a major role, then you really need to shut the **** up.

Seriously. This is probably the soundest advice I've ever given.

Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2012, 09:55 PM

The only time I would say its iffy whether you should assert your rights is if a cop, who appears to you to be in the pursuit of a real crime (which you aren't involved in) wants to come in to your house (and you don't have anything illegal lying around).

If it's a good cop, they have a good reason and not letting them in is just making their life unnecessarily more difficult. If it's a bad cop, they'll make your life more difficult regardless of your rights.

This was advice from a lawyer FWIW.

Games Meister
Jun 13, 2012, 03:24 PM

George Zimmerman wife arrested: George Zimmerman's wife arrested, charged with perjury - Orlando Sentinel

Four days before she testified to having no knowledge of the funds, the affidavit says, Shellie Zimmerman began a series of transfers into her account — totaling $74,000 from April 16 to April 19.

The affidavit says about $47,000 more was transferred from George Zimmerman's account to his sister's. Shellie Zimmerman withdrew about $18,000 more in cash, prosecutors say.
According to the affidavit, after her husband was released on bond days after the hearing, she transferred more than $85,000 back into his account. A branch manager at their credit union told prosecutors he knew the couple and saw Shellie Zimmerman talking to her husband on the phone April 16.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 10:01 PM

Watch she will get more time then him.

Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2012, 12:44 AM

ProTip: if your money comes directly back from the laundry, it's not clean enough.

Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2012, 11:49 AM

Games Meister
Jun 14, 2012, 11:53 AM

Jesus, don't read the comments on that site.

Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2012, 12:25 PM

Jesus, don't read the comments on that site.
Uh, yea. Insurrection brings out the crazies.

Games Meister
Jun 14, 2012, 12:31 PM

A somewhat related story:

Texas man convicted in stand-your-ground case – USATODAY.com
Rodriguez was angry about the noise coming from Danaher's home, where the family was having a birthday party for Danaher's wife and young daughter. Rodriguez went to the home and got into an argument with Danaher, a 36-year-old elementary school teacher, and two other men who were at the party.
In a 22-minute video he recorded the night of the shooting, Rodriguez can be heard telling a police dispatcher "my life is in danger now" and "these people are going to go try and kill me." He then said "I'm standing my ground here," and shot Danaher after somebody appeared to grab his camera. The two other men were wounded.
Johnson said Rodriguez lured and provoked Danaher and two other men to come out onto the street and threatened them by brandishing his gun. Rodriguez did have a concealed handgun license. She said Danaher and the two other men were unarmed and that Rodriguez's life was never in any danger. Danaher's widow had told jurors her husband was not a confrontational person.
But defense attorney Neal Davis said he doesn't believe Rodriguez did anything illegal. He said Rodriguez went to complain and was confronted by Danaher and the two other partygoers, and that he didn't pull out his gun until he was standing in the street and Danaher approached him in a threatening manner.
"He had a right to be (in) the street. He was not provoking anybody. He was not engaged in any criminal activity. The (stand-your-ground) law is not only for home invasions. That's why the law was changed," Davis said.
I thought I read another article that said the man killed was threatening to go into his house and get his gun. Still, I'm fine with this. When you grab your gun, a camera, and open a line to the police just to ask for some neighbors to turn down music, something is very wrong with the situation.

Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 10:36 AM

Nothing? subego, you're the expert here, any advice?

Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 03:15 PM

Watching clips of the video, I'm kinda on the shooters side (this is assuming the clips were in the proper order).

Guy says "back off, I have a gun, and I am in fear for my life" firmly and clearly, multiple times.

Initially, the shootee behaves like you would if someone warned you like this (hands up, backing away slowly) but later puts his hands down, starts in with the verbal threat, and is generally belligerent (I'd say pretty drunk too).

The last seconds are unclear, but it sure sounds like someone tried to do something unbelievably stupid. There's a "I just got you" type cackle really close to the mic and then the shots.

Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 03:21 PM

Also, when I originally heard the story was firefighter vs. school teacher, I imagined the school teacher as some slight, bald guy with glasses. He wasn't. This was a big (drunk) dude who felt comfortable telling a guy with a gun to **** off.

Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 03:25 PM

Watching clips of the video, I'm kinda on the shooters side (this is assuming the clips were in the proper order).

Guy says "back off, I have a gun, and I am in fear for my life" firmly and clearly, multiple times.

Initially, the shootee behaves like you would if someone warned you like this (hands up, backing away slowly) but later puts his hands down, starts in with the verbal threat, and is generally belligerent (I'd say pretty drunk too).

The last seconds are unclear, but it sure sounds like someone tried to do something unbelievably stupid. There's a "I just got you" type cackle really close to the mic and then the shots.
By expert, I meant on having posts ignored.

My take is, if you feel your neighbor is dangerous enough to warrant going over with a gun and the police on line, why would you go at all? I get the feeling he knew it would end like this (Hence, taping it).

Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 03:37 PM

Oh...

My advice is to mention other users by name.

Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 06:10 PM

My take is, if you feel your neighbor is dangerous enough to warrant going over with a gun and the police on line, why would you go at all? I get the feeling he knew it would end like this (Hence, taping it).
That's a good point, but I have what I feel is reasonable doubt about it.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2012, 07:10 PM

Totally agree, he put himself in that situation. Should have just called the cops. Its one thing to shoot some one that has forced there way into your home, or hell even at some one on your property stealing something but its another to put yourself in a situation that does not warrant it.

Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 07:11 PM

My understanding is he did call the cops, multiple times.

Games Meister
Jun 27, 2012, 12:36 PM

Couple of updates from the past week or so.

Tapes show Sanford Police grew skeptical of Zimmerman's story - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com
Three days after George Zimmerman killed an unarmed teenager and went home free, he had a predicament: The lead detectives investigating the shooting seemed to no longer believe his story.

Sanford Police Det. Chris Serino told Zimmerman in a series of interviews that day that he was a “good guy,” but that there were holes in his story, including minor injuries that did not match the beating he said he received at the hands of a “child” who carried candy.

But Serino wondered why Zimmerman’s skull wasn’t fractured, why he didn’t know the street names of a tiny neighborhood where he’d lived for three years and why he had no defensive wounds on his hands. Serino got him to acknowledge what Trayvon’s parents and lawyers have said all along: that Zimmerman got out of his car that night not so much to check for an address to give police, but to find out where the teen went.

“That was a kid with a future, a kid with folks that care. Not a goon,” Serino said. “In his mind’s eye, he perceived you as a threat. He has every right to defend himself.”
Hinting that Zimmerman had left something out of his account, Serino asked over and over why Trayvon would have been so enraged as to deck a perfect stranger. Zimmerman, he suggested, had chased him.

“You wanted to catch him. You wanted to catch the bad guy, the f-----g punk who can’t get away,” Serino said, referring to words Zimmerman used on his call to police.

At one point, Zimmerman answered: “I wasn’t following him; I was just going in the same direction he was.”

Serino retorted: “That’s following.”
---

Christopher Serino, cop who said George Zimmerman should be charged, is transferred from investigative unit - Crimesider - CBS News
The Sanford Police Department investigator who informed his superiors that he believed there was enough evidence to charge George Zimmerman with manslaughter for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin is being transferred from the investigative unit to the patrol division.

According to the Sanford Police Department, Christopher Serino made the decision to transfer "of his own volition."

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2012, 05:43 PM

^^^^

Pretty much sums up my position on this from the very beginning. Zimmerman's story simply doesn't add up.

OAW

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2012, 05:22 PM

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2012, 07:07 PM

It looks like George Zimmerman could be out soon.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-05/zimmerman-bond-trayvon/56035192/1
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2012, 09:59 AM

^^^

A million dollar bond. And the judge publicly admonishing you on your lack of credibility and what appeared to be an attempt to flee the country to avoid prosecution. Seriously not a good look.

OAW

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2012, 11:46 AM

George Zimmerman was released from the Seminole County Jail about 2:50 p.m ET Friday after posting $1 million bond in the Trayvon Martin case.

Zimmerman, 28, was wearing a gray suit as he stepped into an SUV and was driven off, NBC News reported.

He was fitted with an electronic monitoring device before his release and required to stay in Seminole County, according to officials.

A Florida judge ruled last week that Zimmerman could be released from jail a second time on $1 million bond, saying he set the bail amount higher because Zimmerman may have been hiding money.
Zimmerman posts $1 million bond, released from Florida jail - MSNBC

Looks like he won't be able to leave the county let alone the state like last time. The judge is keeping him on a really tight leash after his previous shenanigans.

OAW

Games Meister
Jul 13, 2012, 12:22 PM

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...erman_mot.html

George Zimmerman's attorneys want to disqualify the judge who is presiding over his second-degree murder trial.

The motion filed Friday says Zimmerman "has a reasonable fear that he cannot get a fair trial or a fair stand your ground hearing by this court."

The motion specifically mentions the new bail Judge Kenneth Lester set for George Zimmerman earlier this month. The motion says Lester made disparaging remarks about Zimmerman's character, says he should be "prosecuted for additional crimes," and is holding the threat of future contempt proceedings over Zimmerman's head.
****ing lawyers.

Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

No, it should not. Florida's "Castle Doctrine" statute says that there is "no duty to retreat." That is almost completely the opposite from "chasing down an unarmed, innocent youth," which there is plenty of evidence to show was the case.

The kid was walking on a public street, away from Zimmerman, who began to chase him. Having someone follow me and then begin to run toward me would certainly make me feel that I should flee, but Zimmerman has characterized this as evidence that Treyvon was "escaping," though Zimmerman had no REAL evidence that he had done anything but walked on the public street.

The unfortunate fallout of this incident is that Americans' rights are going to be threatened by the backlash against Zimmerman. The tragedy was all about a mentally unstable person visiting violence on an innocent person, with the firearm component being a mere detail, but the press, those who irrationally fear guns, and those who have their own agendas regarding disarming the American people will make more about the gun than about Zimmerman's lack of stability and racism, which are THE issues here.
ebuddy

Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2012, 03:30 AM

Zimmerman's being accused by a family member of molestation.

Is bringing this up a good idea for the prosecution? Sounds to me like it's going to poison the jury pool.

Maybe they want that for some reason. Comments?

Games Meister
Jul 17, 2012, 05:09 AM

I have no idea what to think or say at this point.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2012, 06:36 AM

Zimmerman's being accused by a family member of molestation.
Is bringing this up a good idea for the prosecution?
Both the prosecution and the defence wanted this kept hidden. Apparently, the cousin went to the press herself.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2012, 08:43 AM

This one is all on camera! More people giving hoodies a bad name, or is that where the term "hoodlum" came from!

Charges unlikely against man who shot robbers

71 year old man with a .380 auto

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2012, 08:52 AM

I'm not sure I see the connection between two guys holding up an internet cafe and a kid walking home with a bag of Skittles and an Arizona Iced Tea ... but ok.

In any event, I certainly don't have a problem with this guys actions. And he definitely shouldn't be facing charges given the circumstances.

OAW

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2012, 09:09 AM

The article mentions he has a CCW permit, and that is in the thread title.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
This one is all on camera! More people giving hoodies a bad name, or is that where the term "hoodlum" came from!

I think you are trying to equate guys with guns with Trayvon Martin just because they are black and wear a hoodie.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post

How is this relevant to this thread?

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2012, 12:48 PM

Games Meister
Jul 18, 2012, 12:58 PM

I don't care if it makes me a bad person, I'm hoping for a train wreck.

That said, it's Hannity, so it should be soft-ball city.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2012, 10:23 AM

And "soft-ball city" it was. Those interested can find the full transcript here ....

Exclusive: George Zimmerman breaks silence on 'Hannity'

Given the quirks of the new forum software, I'll address this is my next post. Here I just want set the stage for Zimmerman's utter lack of credibility. A quick reminder about the demonstrable falsehood he uttered in his first public statement on the witness stand in his so-called "apology" to Martin's parents.

Originally Posted by George Zimmerman
I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your son. I did not know how old he was. I thought he was a little bit younger than I am.
Apparently not recalling the fact that he'd already been recorded on the 911 call saying that Trayvon Martin was in his "late teens". And then we have the entire fiasco of his original $150K bond being revoked for lying to court about the state of his finances. Resulting in him going back to jail, his wife facing perjury charges, and his being released again on a $1M bond with way more restrictions on his movements. From the court order itself granting him a release on a second bond ...

Originally Posted by Judge Kenneth Lester
Under any definition, the Defendant has flaunted the system. Counsel has attempted to portray the Defendant as being a confused young man who was fearful and experienced a moment of weakness and who may also have acted out of a sense of "betrayal" by the system. Based upon all the evidence presented, this Court finds the opposite. The Defendant has tried to manipulate the system when he has been presented the opportunity to do so. He is an adult by every legal definition; Trayvon Martin is the only male whose youth is relevant to this case. The Defendant has taken courses in criminal justice with the intention of becoming a police officer, an attorney, a judge, or a magistrate like his father. He has been arrested before, having entered and successfully completed a pre-trial intervention program. He has also obtained an injunction and hand an injunction entered against him. The injunction against him has obviously been dissolved at some point for him to have validly obtained a permit to carry the firearm used to shoot Trayvon Martin. He also had the wherewithal to set up a website to collect donations to help defray the costs of his defense. Thus, before this tragic incident, the Defendant had a very sophisticated knowledge of the criminal justice system over and above that of the average, law-abiding citizen.

Moreover, any sense of "betrayal" would be unreasonable. He was cooperative with the Sanford Police Department in that he did give numerous statements upon request. The State notes that his stories changed each retelling, but on the surface he should be deemed to have been cooperative. However, he clearly understood that he was being investigated for committing a homicide and, while he belies that we was justified in his actions, there has been nothing presented which indicates that he was misled into believing that he would not be charged with a crime. Contrary to being betrayed, the Defendant received normal, reasonable treatment and was granted reasonable bail.

Contrary to the image presented by the Defendant not by evidence but only by argument of counsel, it appears to this Court that the Defendant is manipulating the system to his own benefit. The evidence is clear the the Defendant and his wife acted in concert, but primarily at the Defendant's direction, to conceal their cash holdings. They spoke in rudimentary code to conceal the true amount of money they were dealing with. Adam Magill, the Defendant's forensic accounting expert, did not dispel this Court's concern that the Defendant was seeking to hide assets. he admitted that one interpretation of the Defendant's actions was to hid money, but he also stated that it was not a very effective way to do so because all the bank transactions were traceable. The Defendant also neglected to disclose that he had a valid second passport in his safe deposit box. Notably, together with the passport, the money only had to be hidden for a short time for him to leave the country if the Defendant made a quick decision to flee. It is entirely reasonable for this Court to find that, but for the requirement that he be placed on electronic monitoring, the Defendant and his wife would have fled the United States with at least $130,000 of other people's money. The fact that they have spent the money "responsibly" (i.e. without going out to expensive dinners or splurging on nonessentials) is of no consequence in this analysis. The Defendant didn't present any witness to affirmatively state that the Defendant has not received funds from any other source.

His lack of candor was not limited to representations made to the Court. The Defendant is represented by Mark O'Mara, a very well-respected criminal defense attorney in the Central Florida area. At the initial bond hearing, Mr. O'Mara indicated that he would be representing the Defendant without taking a fee. Attorney O'Mara also indicated that he would be filing an affidavit of indigence for costs. The Defendant did not correct his attorney's representations to the court on these issues. The failure to correct these representations meant that for a considerable period of time the Defendant misled his attorney as to his ability to pay counsel. No member of the Defendant's family who had knowledge of the Defendant hiding funds alerted the court.

While not exactly the same, this Court finds that deceiving the Court at a bond hearing is akin to violating a bond condition.
As I've said before .... not a good look George.

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules