Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Conceal Carry, the 2nd Amendment, & Vigilantism

Conceal Carry, the 2nd Amendment, & Vigilantism (Page 29)
Thread Tools
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 23, 2013, 06:13 PM
 
Is it just me … or does Captain Perez look rather female?

OAW
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 24, 2013, 08:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Is it just me … or does Captain Perez look rather female?

OAW
Sorry, my bad. I fixed the post. That was my greatgrandmother. I thought it was all one jpeg. That is from their wedding photo. My mother looks very much like her.

( Last edited by Chongo; Aug 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM. )
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 24, 2013, 03:53 PM
 
That's so cool Chongo! I have a passing interest in genealogy myself so this kind of stuff is always interesting to me. Quincy Jones is a cousin. I have a great grandfather who was one of several black men facing death row on some trumped up charges after the worst race riot in Arkansas history. And I have the blood of the Lanier family out of Atlanta running through my veins as well. Go figure huh?

OAW
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Aug 24, 2013, 05:30 PM
 
I'm related to broke Europeans you've never heard of.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2013, 01:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm related to broke Europeans you've never heard of.
I'm dying over here!

I keep meaning to do a family-tree project, but can't seem to get around to it.
ebuddy
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm related to broke Europeans you've never heard of.
Nice!

OAW
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2013, 12:56 PM
 
Somebody is all grins.



(Reuters) - George Zimmerman's lawyer has chided him for visiting a Florida firearms factory that makes the type of gun he used to kill unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin last year.

Zimmerman in July was acquitted of murder in Martin's death in a racially charged case that polarized the U.S. public and raised questions about Florida's loose gun laws and equal justice.

"We understand how George visiting the factory that produces the gun used to shoot Trayvon Martin is seen as inappropriate," Shawn Vincent, spokesman for Zimmerman's lawyer Mark O'Mara, told Reuters on Friday.

Celebrity news website TMZ posted a photo of Zimmerman at the Kel-Tec plant in Cocoa, shaking hands with an employee and grinning.

The website reported that he asked questions about the legality of buying a Kel-Tec KSG, a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun.

Zimmerman, 29, shot Martin, who was 17 years old, in the heart with a 9mm Kel-Tec pistol.
Lawyer for George Zimmerman chides him for visiting gun factory | Reuters

We certainly would not have advised him to go to the factory that made the gun that he used to shoot Trayvon Martin through the heart,” Shawn Vincent, a spokesman for attorney Mark O’Mara, told Yahoo News. “That was not part of our public relations plan.”
Lawyer: George Zimmerman should not be visiting gun factories

OAW
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2013, 01:11 PM
 
He's a innocent man, what difference does it make? I don't see why he would care about bad PR.

(Shaved head, facial hair, and looks like he dropped a few pounds. Maybe we should actually start making justice blind)
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2013, 01:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
The only way one could say; "I'm not sure it's the case for Martin" is because they've completely shut-out any information that might stand in the way of a perfectly good presupposition.
Knowing riots happened but not knowing specific attacks is having "completely shut-out any information"?


Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Either way, when someone expresses such strong opinions regarding one side of an issue, it'd be refreshing if they had at least a modicum of knowledge regarding the other side and might lend itself to more quality discussion overall. It's only screwing up if you really want to be well-rounded in your analysis and missed the boat. I'm not sure that's the case here.
You've really been carrying a chip on your shoulder lately.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2013, 05:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You've really been carrying a chip on your shoulder lately.
I wouldn't call it a chip on his shoulder rather then making the observation that you seem to have lost interest in an honest debate on a number of subjects. He isn't the only one who's seemed to have noticed it. When you get called on it, you make some remark about it being "the internet" or some other non-sequiter to avoid honest discussion on the subject at hand.

I don't mean to speak for ebuddy, but I've found much less perspective from your posts lately. They don't stand up to any scrutiny (nor do you make an attempt to have them do so). I would guess he's simply trying to point that out to you in a much more elegant manner then I am able to.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2013, 08:12 PM
 
Do you have a better example? "The Internet" was a response to "where do gifs come from?"

Seems like a legit answer. I was going to say "4chan".
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2013, 08:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Knowing riots happened but not knowing specific attacks is having "completely shut-out any information"?
No, using second-hand information to make a sweeping judgement of "one side" with zero consideration for the "other side" is disappointing in its lopsided analysis. It's accepting information that supports your side on its face while simply not acknowledging the other side. That's decidedly shutting information out. In this case I even suggested what to Google to get the information and instead you continued on with the presupposition at which time I asked if you were a shut-in.

You've really been carrying a chip on your shoulder lately.
It's not a chip, it's disappointment. The same kind of disappointment I have when I see folks hitting the polls with no more than fashionable presuppositions at their disposal.

Why, am I bugging you?
ebuddy
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2013, 08:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Do you have a better example? "The Internet" was a response to "where do gifs come from?"

Seems like a legit answer. I was going to say "4chan".
I didn't ask where "gifs come from", subego. I asked where video clips like that come from. Obviously they've made their way onto the internet, but is there an outlet, like say... 4chan that offers these types of clips. Folks are sitting and clipping little bits of video perfect for expressing particular emotions. I thought perhaps there was a repository of this sort of thing and as it turns out - there is. Thank you. That's an answer to a question. It's something akin to; "WOW! Nice car, where did you get it?!?!" Umm... from a place that sells cars.

Dakar (while he won't admit it) was just being an ass.
ebuddy
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I wouldn't call it a chip on his shoulder rather then making the observation that you seem to have lost interest in an honest debate on a number of subjects.
Don't know about the honest part, but I've certainly scaled back my level of interest and participation in the PL since my return.


Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I don't mean to speak for ebuddy, but I've found much less perspective from your posts lately. They don't stand up to any scrutiny (nor do you make an attempt to have them do so). I would guess he's simply trying to point that out to you in a much more elegant manner then I am able to.
This would bother me, but I don't recall participating in any serious PL threads lately. I'm not sure what scrutiny my posts have been put to.


Originally Posted by subego View Post
Do you have a better example? "The Internet" was a response to "where do gifs come from?"

Seems like a legit answer. I was going to say "4chan".
I don't get this stuff from a single source. If I tell stories from funny shows from time to time and you're all like "Where do you get all this stuff?" and I'm watching NBC, ABC, FX, Comedy Central, etc." I'm probably just going to say TV. Further, I don't seek it out. It falls into my lap.


Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Dakar (while he won't admit it) was just being an ass.
See above.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2013, 03:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
No, using second-hand information to make a sweeping judgement of "one side" with zero consideration for the "other side" is disappointing in its lopsided analysis. It's accepting information that supports your side on its face while simply not acknowledging the other side. That's decidedly shutting information out. In this case I even suggested what to Google to get the information and instead you continued on with the presupposition at which time I asked if you were a shut-in.
Since I've spent that past few posts defending myself rather the original point, allow me to give an epilogue. This whole brouhaha started because you misinterpreted the meaning of a gif I posted. I clarified that I considered Zimmerman's most visible/vocal supporters some of the worst human beings I've seen and it left me tired of the whole affair. You apologized and I said it wasn't a big deal to begin with.

Naturally, this devolved into "Martin's supporters are just as bad."

What I expected: Someone to post videos or articles about Martin supporters who were in the media during the trail, being equally racist (the sort of Jesse Jacksons or Al Sharptons of the case)
What I got: A bunch of assholes assaulting people after the fact.
What I said: After a poorly thought-out response I came to the conclusion I'd rather deal with a famous racist than someone capable of hate-assault.
What I received: A dressing down for not being well informed enough on the subject.

I use this thread to get the majority of my news on the subject. So what's left? What issue do you have left to take with my posts?



Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
It's not a chip, it's disappointment. The same kind of disappointment I have when I see folks hitting the polls with no more than fashionable presuppositions at their disposal.

Why, am I bugging you?
Even if you consider my "the internet" response as thoughtless slight (despite my explanation), I'd be of the opinion its been returned to me in aggression and snark several times over. And while my comment was in response to an inconsequential non-PL matter, your attitude has permeated the larger conversation.

So yes, I'm pretty much at a place where this continues I'm probably going to stop replying.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2013, 03:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I didn't ask where "gifs come from", subego. I asked where video clips like that come from. Obviously they've made their way onto the internet, but is there an outlet, like say... 4chan that offers these types of clips. Folks are sitting and clipping little bits of video perfect for expressing particular emotions. I thought perhaps there was a repository of this sort of thing and as it turns out - there is. Thank you. That's an answer to a question. It's something akin to; "WOW! Nice car, where did you get it?!?!" Umm... from a place that sells cars.

Dakar (while he won't admit it) was just being an ass.
I honestly think he wasn't.

My answer would have been far more assy, because of all the places where the gifs you speak of come from, that's a really nasty one.

A fully honest answer would be: reddit, Facebook, GIS, Tumblr, G+, 4chan, and many more... also known as the Internet.

I personally get a bunch from here.

It's sort of like asking "where do you get these delightful cat pictures?"

Umm... the Internet.

I'm not being an ass here, it's an odd question coming from someone who's on the Internet too.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2013, 10:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Since I've spent that past few posts defending myself rather the original point, allow me to give an epilogue. This whole brouhaha started because you misinterpreted the meaning of a gif I posted. I clarified that I considered Zimmerman's most visible/vocal supporters some of the worst human beings I've seen and it left me tired of the whole affair. You apologized and I said it wasn't a big deal to begin with.
To be clear, I apologized to OAW for misinterpreting your clip.

Naturally, this devolved into "Martin's supporters are just as bad."
Why use the word "devolved" if what happened was natural? i.e. naturally, someone would be compelled to challenge a perspective that is obviously missing any balance at all.

What I expected: Someone to post videos or articles about Martin supporters who were in the media during the trail, being equally racist (the sort of Jesse Jacksons or Al Sharptons of the case)
What I got: A bunch of assholes assaulting people after the fact.
"A bunch of assholes..." They attacked people of a specific skin color to avenge a perceived racial injustice. Is there some official "start date" for defining character? What you got were immediate examples of virulent racism in an attempted appeal to some sense of fairness and reason, not assume an exhaustive pursuit was necessary and dispense with a bunch of futile legwork. Of course the Sharptons and Jacksons had been there all along, but so were a host of others, including virulent racists all famously supporting one side or the other.

What I said: After a poorly thought-out response I came to the conclusion I'd rather deal with a famous racist than someone capable of hate-assault.
What I received: A dressing down for not being well informed enough on the subject.
There is absolutely nothing about this individual that gives him more notoriety than those supporting Martin. This is a completely arbitrary standard that seemed to have come up out of frustration that someone would challenge your reasoning on the matter.

I use this thread to get the majority of my news on the subject. So what's left? What issue do you have left to take with my posts?
Starting with the most recent; you're employing a hopelessly meaningless set of standards (in some cases blatant double-standards) suggesting a lack of reasoning on this issue and got frustrated that someone would challenge your reasoning.

Even if you consider my "the internet" response as thoughtless slight (despite my explanation), I'd be of the opinion its been returned to me in aggression and snark several times over. And while my comment was in response to an inconsequential non-PL matter, your attitude has permeated the larger conversation.
Again, this exchange was akin to; "Nice car! Where'd you get it?" - car lot.

Of course, you can understand where this response might leave someone with; "no shit."

I thought for a minute perhaps some of the folks who post these clips may actually create them or frequent a portal littered with them like the one subego claimed first occurred to him. Yes, your response surprised me because it seemed either socially inept or awfully prickly. I've not once known you to be the former. I perceived the latter.

So yes, I'm pretty much at a place where this continues I'm probably going to stop replying.
I'll drop it. I'm not trying to stalk people, just trying to understand thought-processes.
ebuddy
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2013, 03:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
To be clear, I apologized to OAW for misinterpreting your clip.
How self-centered of me. (No this is not sarcasm)


Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Why use the word "devolved" if what happened was natural? i.e. naturally, someone would be compelled to challenge a perspective that is obviously missing any balance at all.
Devolved is an opinion on whether it was positive or negative; The naturalness of an occurrence has no bearing on perceived quality of its impact.



Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
"A bunch of assholes..." They attacked people of a specific skin color to avenge a perceived racial injustice. Is there some official "start date" for defining character? What you got were immediate examples of virulent racism in an attempted appeal to some sense of fairness and reason, not assume an exhaustive pursuit was necessary and dispense with a bunch of futile legwork. Of course the Sharptons and Jacksons had been there all along, but so were a host of others, including virulent racists all famously supporting one side or the other.
Well, I haven't seen them pointed out and I'm still waiting. I mean, I figured I'd hear about some Black Panther level shit from this place or the other where I hang out. Seems like the kind of thing Chongo would jump at the chance to post.



Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
There is absolutely nothing about this individual that gives him more notoriety than those supporting Martin.
Without having an idea of what we're comparing him to, I'm judging notoriety by ones media presence.


Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Starting with the most recent; you're employing a hopelessly meaningless set of standards
I'd probably go with arbitrary, but point taken.


Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Again, this exchange was akin to; "Nice car! Where'd you get it?" - car lot.

Of course, you can understand where this response might leave someone with; "no shit."

I thought for a minute perhaps some of the folks who post these clips may actually create them or frequent a portal littered with them like the one subego claimed first occurred to him. Yes, your response surprised me because it seemed either socially inept or awfully prickly. I've not once known you to be the former. I perceived the latter.
All I can say at this point is had no good answer which led to that "bad" answer.
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2013, 08:12 PM
 
So GZ had this to say in his Hannity interview:

ZIMMERMAN: I was going to Target to do my weekly grocery shopping. Sunday nights was the only nights -- well, Sunday after we mentored the kids, we would always go grocery shopping and do our cooking for the week. So I wanted to go to Target and I headed out. And that's the last time I've been home.
GZ's father … sticking to the story …. had this to say under oath:

ROBERT ZIMMERMAN Sr.: George had cooked dinner for him and his wife and was going to the store. He goes to the store the same time every week.
But GZ's wife Shellie has given an interview where she stated that she and GZ had gotten into a big fight the day before he killed TM and she had left him and went to stay with her father. And that she was still staying with her father the night of the shooting. Which means that ONCE AGAIN we see GZ lying through his teeth when he told Det. Serino and Hannity that he and Shellie were mentoring kids that Sunday afternoon before he shot TM. And his father, the retired magistrate, also lied under oath when he claimed that GZ had cooked dinner for himself and Shellie. Because Shellie wasn't even at home!

This woman stood by this man, went into hiding with him, was there every day during his trial …. even perjured herself for him. And this sorry excuse for a man couldn't even show up to support her during the 15 minute hearing when she pled guilty on the charge.

George Zimmerman's Wife Felt 'Very Much Alone' When He Didn't Go to Court With Her - Yahoo!

OAW
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2013, 09:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
So GZ had this to say in his Hannity interview:



GZ's father … sticking to the story …. had this to say under oath:



But GZ's wife Shellie has given an interview where she stated that she and GZ had gotten into a big fight the day before he killed TM and she had left him and went to stay with her father. And that she was still staying with her father the night of the shooting. Which means that ONCE AGAIN we see GZ lying through his teeth when he told Det. Serino and Hannity that he and Shellie were mentoring kids that Sunday afternoon before he shot TM. And his father, the retired magistrate, also lied under oath when he claimed that GZ had cooked dinner for himself and Shellie. Because Shellie wasn't even at home!

This woman stood by this man, went into hiding with him, was there every day during his trial …. even perjured herself for him. And this sorry excuse for a man couldn't even show up to support her during the 15 minute hearing when she pled guilty on the charge.

George Zimmerman's Wife Felt 'Very Much Alone' When He Didn't Go to Court With Her - Yahoo!

OAW
I have no clue what's going on in their relationship, but he's certainly a dumbass... at least.
ebuddy
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2013, 10:38 PM
 
^^^

And on that we most definitely agree my friend.

OAW
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 30, 2013, 11:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
This woman stood by this man, went into hiding with him, was there every day during his trial …. even perjured herself for him. And this sorry excuse for a man couldn't even show up to support her during the 15 minute hearing when she pled guilty on the charge.
Wow, dick move.
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 5, 2013, 06:00 PM
 
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

George Zimmerman's Wife Files for Divorce - ABC News

OAW
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2013, 04:16 PM
 
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2013, 04:21 PM
 
Nope, not gonna say anything. I want details.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2013, 05:01 PM
 
Celebrity does freaky things to people, no matter how you acquire it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2013, 05:23 PM
 
I'm shocked. Shocked I say!

911 Audio of Shellie Zimmerman.

http://www.clickorlando.com/blob/vie...call-audio.wav

Originally Posted by Shellie Zimmerman
I don't know what he's capable of. I'm really really scared.
OAW

PS: So GZ has allegedly punched his wife's father in the nose, smashed his wife's iPad, and threatened them both with a knife AND a gun … but it's just INCONCEIVABLE for some to believe he was the aggressor with TM.
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 9, 2013 at 05:36 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2013, 05:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I'm shocked. Shocked I say!

OAW

PS: So GZ has allegedly punched his wife's father in the nose, smashed his wife's iPad, and threatened them both with a knife AND a gun … but it's just INCONCEIVABLE for some to believe he was the aggressor with TM.
Don't forget, this a spouse trying to make her position better for the divorce settlement.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2013, 05:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Don't forget, this a spouse trying to make her position better for the divorce settlement.
The Zimmermans are broker than then 10 Commandments. Neither of them is employed to my knowledge. There's not much to fight about in a divorce case.

OAW
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 10, 2013, 11:51 AM
 
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
 
All I can say is somebody is lying ….

ABC News also reported, “A Lake Mary police official later said Zimmerman did not have a gun, officers never found a gun and that Zimmerman himself said he never had a gun on him.”

But George Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, told CNN’s Anderson Cooper in no uncertain terms that Zimmerman was carrying a gun and had it on his person during the confrontation with his wife and father-in-law:

O’MARA: He acted appropriately. He never took the weapon out. The only thing he really did, which is what he told the police, was on the outside of his shirt, he made sure the gun wasn’t moving anywhere and didn’t do anything because [Zimmerman's father-in-law] Mr. Dean was sort of coming at him, that can sort of be seen in the video.

COOPER: So he had the gun actually on his person not like, in the glove box of his car?

O’MARA: That’s correct.
O’Mara acknowledged “there are some reports that said he didn’t have a gun with him but he did.” He also admitted George Zimmerman smashed an iPad during the confrontation.

CNN’s Victor Blackwell reported that the police “did not check the car” because they didn’t have a warrant and it “wasn’t part of the crime scene.” Other reports indicate that, at some point, Police Chief Steve Bracknell became aware that there was a gun in Zimmerman’s truck, but they did not confiscate it. Shellie Zimmerman told the 911 operator that her husband was threatening her from his vehicle.

Bracknell told the LA Times, “Man, it would be fantastic if you have an apartment out there [in California] for George Zimmerman. This guy is killing me.”

Calls to Officer Hudson regarding Zimmerman’s comments to the police were not immediately returned.
Did George Zimmerman Lie To The Police? | ThinkProgress


George Zimmerman's lawyer said today he will no longer represent the man acquitted of murder in the death of teenager Trayvon Martin.

The announcement came one day after Zimmerman's wife, Shellie, called police to say that Zimmerman had assaulted her father and threatened her, leaving her "very, very scared." Shellie Zimmerman recently filed papers seeking a divorce from Zimmerman.

A spokesman for Mark O'Mara, who succeeded in winning an acquittal for Zimmerman in the racially charged Trayvon Martin murder trial, said O'Mara will not represent Zimmerman in any future litigation including his divorce and any possible charges resulting from the Monday incident involving his wife and father-in-law.

O'Mara will still be Zimmerman's lawyer in a defamation suit still pending against NBC.

O'Mara appeared to struggle with his anger at his client during Monday's incident in which he went to Zimmerman's house while police were still there. During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."
George Zimmerman's Lawyer Mark O'Mara Quits | ABCNews.com

OAW
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 11, 2013, 10:59 AM
 
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
 
*popcorn gif*

George Zimmerman won't face charges anytime soon

The incident began as Shellie Zimmerman picked up some belongings from the home, according the report. She told police she had arranged to gather some things but that her husband showed up and started taking pictures of her.

George Zimmerman says he was documenting his wife "taking property that was not agreed upon and he began taking pictures and recording the items." In response, Shellie Zimmerman says she began recording her husband's actions on her iPad.

From here, the couple's versions of the day differ.

George Zimmerman says he went into the home, locked the front door but was attacked by his father-in-law who "charged him" in the garage. Shellie Zimmerman then began hitting her husband on his back with her iPad, the former neighborhood watch volunteer told police. George Zimmerman says he smashed the iPad to stop the attack.

Shellie Zimmerman's side: Her husband hit her father as the two argued about the property she was taking. She was recording the fight on her iPad when George Zimmerman grabbed the device, "smashed it on his knee" and cut it open with his pocket knife.

On Monday, Shellie Zimmerman told a 911 dispatcher that her husband struck her father in the nose and threatened both father and daughter while putting a hand on a gun. After police arrived, she decided not to press charges against her husband.

Shellie Zimmerman also later dropped her claim that a gun was involved. Officers did not recover a gun from the scene. The police report also says no one saw a gun or heard George Zimmerman threaten anyone with a firearm.
Zim's wife is lucky he didn't decide to stand his ground. Also, this guy seems to get bludgeoned with objects a lot. (Also one would imagine the father -in-law's nose would show signs of the punch)


Officials now say they can't get to possible video of the fight that might be on the iPad.

"The iPad is in really bad shape," said officer Zach Hudson, a spokesman for the Lake Mary Police Department. "At this point, we do not have the tools available to effectively look at the video on the iPad."
I have a feeling you could start a successful kickstarter to get to that video.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2013, 04:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Zim's wife is lucky he didn't decide to stand his ground. Also, this guy seems to get bludgeoned with objects a lot. (Also one would imagine the father -in-law's nose would show signs of the punch)
There was no gun involved, why would it matter? She made up the stuff about a gun, and likely more than that. I'm not seeing the issue here.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
 
Shaddim,

SZ's attorney displayed the empty packaging for the new holster that GZ left on the floor at the residence during yesterday's news conference. It's a holster where you keep the weapon under your shirt and not the type that goes in the back of the pants like he had the night he killed TM. With that being said, please look at security camera footage of GZ. He's the knucklehead in the plaid shirt. You see SZ start to call 911 and then you see him plain as day reaching inside his shirt where a gun holster would be. Getting into his aggressive "tough guy" pose. Nodding up his up and down mouthing something to SZ and her father. Pointing at them with his right hand in his shirt under his left arm pit. Exactly where a gun would be in such a holster. On the 911 tape SZ said he was saying "Step closer. Step closer" while threatening them with a gun. You can bet your bottom dollar that's exactly what he was saying given his demeanor and body language. Basically daring them to approach him to give him an inkling of an excuse to open fire. Which was when her father said "What are you going to do, shoot me?".

Seriously. Look at it for yourself. Don't take my word for it because we've obviously disagreed vociferously regarding the TM killing in general and GZ in particular. But if you choose to view the video, then ask yourself WHY do you think GZ's 400 lb bodyguard intervened and tried to restrain HIM and not SZ or her father? Who, BTW, never exhibited the aggressive behavior that GZ did. SZ was recording GZ and all his threatening behavior and calling 911 … which didn't sit too well with ole George … and that's when you see him grab her iPad, break it into pieces, cut it with a knife, and then throw it in the yard. Destroying evidence much? Did they actually SEE the gun itself in that footage? No because he didn't actually pull it out. But everyone but the most deliberately obtuse knows what it means when someone places their hand on their person where a gun is located. You say you are law enforcement of some sort. Why do you think he was in that stance reaching inside his shirt? To scratch an itch?

Come on man!!! Knowing that GZ stays strapped … who in their right mind wouldn't interpret that as threatening them with a gun?

George Zimmerman -- Alleged iPad Smashing ... Caught On Video | TMZ.com

OAW

PS: From the beginning I've viewed GZ as a little punk ass bitch. I've made no secret about my utter contempt for him as a man. Because a grown-ass man doesn't go for a gun and kill a skinny little unarmed kid just because he got a few good licks in. And for those who still want to see GZ as the victim and doubt his "bitchassness" ask yourself this question. Why is GZ reaching for a gun against his own wife and father-in-law … neither of whom are approaching him aggressively … when he has a 400 lb bodyguard with him? And if GZ will go to the left like that with his own family … not because he's being threatened in anyway but simply because he's angry … imagine the man TM encountered on that tragic night in Feb. 2012 … the day after SZ had left his bitch ass following a big argument.
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 12, 2013 at 08:45 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2013, 11:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
PS: From the beginning I've viewed GZ as a little punk ass bitch. I've made no secret about my utter contempt for him as a man. Because a grown-ass man doesn't go for a gun and kill a skinny little unarmed kid just because he got a few good licks in.
Zimmerman got away with murder because of extremely shoddily written laws about standing your ground. I am a gun owner, and I have no qualms about using one to defend myself. But I also know it doesn't take a brain surgeon to not interfere with the police when they've been notified of suspicious activity, and I also don't try to play detective, cop, prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner all by myself, in a matter of moments. Technically, he got off because there are fools who believe that his right to go wherever he wanted in this situation trumps everything, including common sense. This man is a ticking time bomb, who is going to put himself into a situation some day where he won't be the one walking away unscathed! One can only hope that no one else is hurt/killed when this fool meets his end.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 12:30 AM
 
^^^^^

As a gun owner myself all I can say is I agree wholeheartedly.

OAW
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 02:08 AM
 
Still not seeing a gun, the cops never found evidence of one anywhere near. It even plainly says that in the article, and everything else I've read. Smashing her iPad is a crappy thing to do and he should be held accountable for that, same goes for whether he punched her father, but no weapon was on his person or anywhere in the vicinity and she dropped claims of him having one, immediately after finding out he wasn't secretly hiding one. He very well could have been digging for the knife, given the Fisher-Price quality of the video from the security cam. I'll wait to see what comes from the iPad.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 08:58 AM
 
Still... as much as I had ardently defended the judicial process here -- my gut feeling from the beginning was that we'd be reading about him again. Over time, I had believed perhaps not and that he was just being set up by a system that needed a fall-guy for covering perceptions of systemic racism. Now I'm not so sure my second perception was accurate. I hope we've seen the last of him, but I'm no longer convinced we have.
ebuddy
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 01:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
There was no gun involved, why would it matter?
Well you see, Zimerman was a controversial figure surrounding a case where he used deadly force under murky circumstances. Involved in a second confrontation where he was under physical attack, one might jokingly comment that the second person is lucky not to fall victim to the same events as the first.


Originally Posted by OAW View Post
SZ's attorney displayed the empty packaging for the new holster that GZ left on the floor at the residence during yesterday's news conference. It's a holster where you keep the weapon under your shirt and not the type that goes in the back of the pants like he had the night he killed TM. With that being said, please look at security camera footage of GZ.
There's security camera footage? From where?

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
WHY do you think GZ's 400 lb bodyguard intervened and tried to restrain HIM and not SZ or her father?
Is this in the police report? I'd be curious about his version of events.


Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Come on man!!! Knowing that GZ stays strapped … who in their right mind wouldn't interpret that as threatening them with a gun?
Why do you think police didn't find a gun and SZ recanted her claim? (The former might be explained by the police not checking his vehicle, but the latter? Has the father weighed in on the presence of a gun?)


Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
my gut feeling from the beginning was that we'd be reading about him again.
I don't think even the most pessimistic among us expected to be hearing from him this soon.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Sep 13, 2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Edited for freshness)
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Still not seeing a gun, the cops never found evidence of one anywhere near. It even plainly says that in the article, and everything else I've read.
The police never searched GZ's vehicle and when they asked he demanded they present a warrant. When SZ on the advice of her attorney declined to press charges the police didn't bother.

Originally Posted by ebuddy
Still... as much as I had ardently defended the judicial process here -- my gut feeling from the beginning was that we'd be reading about him again. Over time, I had believed perhaps not and that he was just being set up by a system that needed a fall-guy for covering perceptions of systemic racism. Now I'm not so sure my second perception was accurate. I hope we've seen the last of him, but I'm no longer convinced we have.
It would appear you aren't the only one.

Zimmerman's Local Police Chief Agrees He's a 'Sandy Hook... Waiting To Happen' | AtlanticWire.com

@Dakar,

I'm not sure if it's in the police report but it's plain as day on the video who the bodyguard was restraining. As for why SZ recanted her claim … that's been overstated I believe. As I recall she said she A) never saw a gun, and B) decided not to press charges. And the media has gone hog wild making it seem like she did a complete 180. On the 911 call she said GZ was threatening them with a gun. Which as I pointed out above can be done without displaying the gun. Putting your hand in your shirt where a gun would be … especially when you are a person who is known to carry a concealed weapon … can reasonably be interpreted as threatening you with a gun.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 14, 2013 at 05:11 PM. )
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 02:20 PM
 
Sandy Hook waiting to happen sounds absurd. Yeah, he might kill a person, but Sandy Hook was a premeditated massacre. Huge difference. I'm surprised this was uttered by a local police chief.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 02:23 PM
 
That's all very convenient. The man obviously has sleight-of-hand skills that rival David Copperfield. I always ask for a warrant if any officer wants to search my vehicle, even though there's nothing illegal inside, because it's my property.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2013, 03:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That's all very convenient. The man obviously has sleight-of-hand skills that rival David Copperfield.
It would appear you haven't listened to the 911 tape. If you had then you would know that SZ and her father went into the house after GZ went on his little tirade. No "sleight-of-hand skills" required.

OAW
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2013, 11:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't think even the most pessimistic among us expected to be hearing from him this soon.
Completely agree. This is what has me confounded about the whole thing. GZ should be in full-on profile recovery mode. A huge chunk of society believes he's guilty of hunting down and killing a child and he maintained his innocence throughout the affair and is now a free man. What to do? I'm thinking; join the Peace Corps or volunteer a few hours per week working with abused animals at the local Humane Society. Anything to give back to society. Somehow MORE DRAMA should not have been an option.

Next up -- George Zimmerman's tell-nothing book; Why I Killed the Kid co-authored by OJ Simpson.
ebuddy
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Completely agree. This is what has me confounded about the whole thing. GZ should be in full-on profile recovery mode. A huge chunk of society believes he's guilty of hunting down and killing a child and he maintained his innocence throughout the affair and is now a free man. What to do? I'm thinking; join the Peace Corps or volunteer a few hours per week working with abused animals at the local Humane Society. Anything to give back to society. Somehow MORE DRAMA should not have been an option.

Next up -- George Zimmerman's tell-nothing book; Why I Killed the Kid co-authored by OJ Simpson.
I can't make his decisions for him, but I am surprised he isn't trying to create goodwill, other than helping save those people in the SUV. That would be ideal for him IMO, work for a rescue squad doing that kind of thing, there's a part of him that really enjoys that. I've tried reaching out to him several times already, but he won't talk with me. That's not unusual however, since most are trying to scam him right now.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2013, 12:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Completely agree. This is what has me confounded about the whole thing. GZ should be in full-on profile recovery mode. A huge chunk of society believes he's guilty of hunting down and killing a child and he maintained his innocence throughout the affair and is now a free man. What to do? I'm thinking; join the Peace Corps or volunteer a few hours per week working with abused animals at the local Humane Society. Anything to give back to society. Somehow MORE DRAMA should not have been an option.
Then again, it makes a kind of sense – a divorce is a high-stress situation (I imagine), and if you think Zimmerman is a bit of a hot head, him losing his cool and his perspective despite trying to repair his image feels predictable.

Still, LOL
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2013, 05:08 PM
 
If I were GZ, I wouldn't start some sort of PR campaign or charm offensive to convince the press that I was a really nice guy after all. I'd duck out of sight forever, regardless of whether I thought I was innocent or I got away with it. An ordinary person suffering the intense scrutiny of the national media just wants it all to go away.

Regarding the visit to Kel-Tec, he was almost certainly invited by them. They were likely assessing him for a PR campaign of some kind, and he was there hoping for a pay check, since he's likely broke. As their website says, they don't have regular tours. Kel Tec CNC

Kel-Tec does not offer tours and does not allow customers to shoot at the factory range. Special arrangements can sometimes be made for Military, Law enforcement, or Educational purposes only.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2013, 05:17 PM
 
And what might that educational purpose be?

Blowing the shit out of things, I presume.
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 7, 2013, 07:28 PM
 
19 year old black female was involved in a car crash. Knocked on a white guys's door at 2:30 AM in a predominantly white neighborhood seeking help because her cell phone had died. She ends up dead on the guys' front porch with a shotgun blast to the face. Guy first claims he fired in self-defense because he though he was an intruder. And he might get off because of Stand Your Ground laws in Michigan. The latest is that might not fly for him so other reports are saying he's claiming the gun went off "accidentally". This sounds awfully familiar. Where have I heard this story before? Oh yeah ... here.

Wow. Just freaking wow!!!

Renisha McBride, Detroit woman, shot to death while seeking help after a car accident, family says - Crimesider - CBS News

OAW
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2