Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on.

Stay Classy, PA: Voter Suppression 2012, 2013, 2014... and so on. (Page 25)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2017, 02:21 PM

Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2017, 02:47 PM

There was one part of the article which made me go "huh?"

All of this, of course, has real political consequences. Because minority voters tend to be Democrats, strict voter ID laws tilt the primary electorate dramatically.

All else equal, when strict ID laws are instituted, the turnout gap between Republicans and Democrats in primary contests more than doubles from 4.3 points to 9.8 points. Likewise, the turnout gap between conservative and liberal voters more than doubles from 7.7 to 20.4 points.

Okay... when it comes to "real political consequences", about the most inconsequential thing I can think of is a primary gap. The party primaries are held independent of each other. The gap is utterly irrelevant to the outcome.

Games Meister
Feb 15, 2017, 03:01 PM

Open primaries, son

Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2017, 03:06 PM

So, if I'm understanding right, the gap implies there are more spoiler votes?

Games Meister
Mar 4, 2017, 07:09 PM

Mid-decade gerrymandering, anyone?
House GOP tweaks district maps as Democrats cry foul

Games Meister
Mar 13, 2017, 04:09 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2017, 04:17 PM

Imagine that.

The former chairman of Colorado's Republican Party was charged with forgery and voter fraud for allegedly forging his wife's mail-in ballot for the 2016 election, a local Fox News affiliate reported late Tuesday.

Steven Curtis, who was the chairman of the state party from 1997 to 1999, was charged on Feb. 1 with one count of forgery of a public record, a fifth-degree felony, and an elections mail-in ballot offense, which is a misdemeanor. Curtis is accused of filling out his wife's ballot and forging her signature.

Curtis has remained active in Colorado politics and oversaw the Denver Tea Party Patriots advisory board in 2011. He is also a local AM radio talk show host.

Last fall, ahead of the 2016 election, Curtis had knocked Democrats as the party associated with voter fraud.

“It seems to me,” Curtis said in a 42-minute segment of his KLZ 560 show, “that virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats.”
Ex-Colorado GOP head charged with voter fraud | TheHill

OAW

Games Meister
Mar 27, 2017, 10:51 PM

Arkansas Replaces Voter ID Law Struck Down By State Supreme Court With Basically The Same Thing | The Huffington Post
Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) signed a bill Friday requiring voters to show photo identification at the polls ― even though the state Supreme Court struck down a nearly identical measure just three years ago.

A similar requirement was enacted just four years ago, but the state Supreme Court struck it down in 2014. The court found that the voting requirements of the law went beyond what was required by the constitution, which only says that a voter must be at least 18 years old, a resident of Arkansas and lawfully registered.
Talk about being determined. Still, there's some maneuvering going on...
Four of the seven judges who struck down the initial voter ID law no longer remain on the court. The three remaining wrote a concurring opinion, arguing that the law was invalid because it did not get the necessary two-thirds majority necessary in the legislature to change the voting requirements in the state constitution. This time around, the bill got the support of both houses, passing 74-21 in the Arkansas House and 25-8 in the Senate.

Perhaps anticipating a legal challenge to the new law, Arkansas lawmakers passed a separate measure to put a constitutional amendment requiring photo ID on the state ballot in 2018.
I'm sure they have plenty of voter impersonation fraud cases that happened in the interim to justify this obsession.

Games Meister
Apr 9, 2017, 07:32 PM

Should this count as voter suppression? Montana Republicans Spending Taxpayer Money To Avoid A Defeat | The Huffington Post
State lawmakers concluded that the special election would cost an unbudgeted $750,000, so they set about figuring a way to do it more cheaply.

A Republican lawmaker proposed a one-time mail ballot system. At the time, nobody in their right mind thought the election would be seriously contested ― Democrats haven’t won a House seat in Montana since 1994, after all ― and the state Senate approved the cost-saving measure.

But then something strange happened: The election got real. And Republicans who often boast of fiscal conservatism had a change of heart.

The GOP-controlled state House effectively killed the mail-in ballot bill on March 31, after the state GOP chair, state Rep. Jeff Essmann, wrote a letter to party members warning that a mail system would favor Democrats and hurt the GOP’s chances of holding onto the seat.

Games Meister
Apr 13, 2017, 11:42 AM

Games Meister
Apr 21, 2017, 01:27 AM

GOP lawmaker on Ossoff: ‘These lines were not drawn’ to elect Democrat | Political Insider blog
“I’ll be very blunt: These lines were not drawn to get Hank Johnson’s protégé to be my representative. And you didn’t hear that,” said Millar. “They were not drawn for that purpose, OK? They were not drawn for that purpose.”

Forum Links
Forum Rules