Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > This is both brilliant and moronic...

This is both brilliant and moronic...
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2013, 03:03 PM

...and likely to end uneventfully.

California man says he can drive in carpool lane with corporation papers - U.S. News

When Jonathan Frieman of San Rafael, Calif., was pulled over for driving alone in the carpool lane, he argued to the officer that, actually, he did have a passenger.

He waved his corporation papers at the officer, he told NBCBayArea.com, saying that corporations are people under California law.
Frieman doesn't actually support this notion. For more than 10 years, Frieman says he had been trying to get pulled over to get ticketed and to take his argument to court -- to challenge a judge to determine that corporations and people are not the same.
But before he can make grand proclamations, the officer who ticketed him must show up to court. Otherwise, his ticket may be thrown out.
I have a feeling that officer is going to be gently advised not to show up.

Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2013, 03:07 PM

Hahahahaha this made my day.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 03:10 PM

LOL. If the officer doesn't show it will create a moral hazard (everyone will abuse the carpool lane using this loophole).

Games Meister
Jan 7, 2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
LOL. If the officer doesn't show it will create a moral hazard (everyone will abuse the carpool lane using this loophole).
Isn't it, well not common, but not unheard of for officers not to show up when challenged? Unless you're arguing it's because the story is so prominent.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 03:30 PM

Sure, it's common. But regardless a new loophole has been revealed, others will want to use it if it worked. If he gets ruled against, then the loophole is closed, otherwise, it stays open. Doesn't it?

Games Meister
Jan 7, 2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Sure, it's common. But regardless a new loophole has been revealed, others will want to use it if it worked.
But the officer not showing up isn't affirmative of the defense. And I think the number of people who will actively try to exploit this loophole is low. Hopefully they will, though, so I can get "closure" on the topic.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 03:40 PM

Yeah maybe I'm being swayed by wishful thinking

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 06:34 PM

If he were to go to court I believe his argument would be eviscerated once the prosecution starts to discuss the difference between a "natural person" and a "legal person". And that's when he'll have that "It seemed like a good idea at the time!" moment.

OAW

Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 04:08 PM

I hope I can find the article, but there was a University somewhere that tried a similar experiment. They had a corporation run for a local city office. The application was denied not because it was a business, but because it wasn't old enough.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Games Meister
Jan 9, 2013, 04:12 PM

Judge Rejects Jonathan Frieman's Corporate Personhood Carpool Lane Argument; Appeal Vowed | Moral Low Ground
“What we’re talking about here is a pretty simple case,” Greene said, citing California Vehicle Code Section 470, which states that “‘Person’ includes a natural person, firm, copartnership, association, limited liability company or corporation.”

Greene, who is also a San Anselmo town councilman, asserted that the charge against Frieman should be dismissed, “since a corporation is a person and Mr. Frieman was traveling with a corporation.”

“The evidence is undisputed, the signs say carpool is 2 or more persons,” Greene pressed, arguing that the carpool law is “unconstitutionally vague.”

“A citizen should not be left to guess when he is in violation of a statute,” Greene argued.

Judge Drago disagreed, citing the “intent of the legislation,” which is “to relieve traffic congestion on highways” and to encourage people to carpool.

“The goal is to reduce the volume of traffic on the highway,” Drago said before finding Frieman guilty and imposing a $489 fine.
I'm cool with spirit vs. letter of the law.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2013, 04:19 PM

This is why I love America. Entertainment on all levels of the imagination.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules