Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > No Longer 'ILLEGAL' ??

No Longer 'ILLEGAL' ?? (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 03:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
what if I were to go out on election day going door to door trying to get people to register and vote?
Do you?

I didn't do that
Didn't think so. I think you like to complain, but are too lazy to do much more than gripe. How is that better then the "average uninformed American"? Knowledge doesn't become power until applied.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 03:47 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The paperwork isn't the point, it's the initiative in doing. If a person cares enough to get on a forum and bitch every day, but not enough to go out and file paperwork to become a citizen, then I can only assume that they're overly sedentary and rather useless. They can whine, or they can vote. The first is just hot air and a waste of bandwidth, TBH.

No, they can live with knowing that their decisions are not furthering the cause which they whine about, but that doesn't mean that their whining is invalid.

Your argument is the exact same flawed argument that people make about environmentalists that "whine" about releasing carbon dioxide into the air being a detriment to the planet yet their lifestyle has a carbon footprint. Just because they aren't making an effort to make a difference themselves doesn't mean that their opinion that releasing carbon into the air is invalid.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 03:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Do you?



Didn't think so. I think you like to complain, but are too lazy to do much more than gripe. How is that better then the "average uninformed American"? Knowledge doesn't become power until applied.

This isn't about me. It doesn't make much difference to me whether you agree with my decision. This is about your flawed argument. If I did do the get-out-the-vote thing, would you change your mind about whether my opinion is valid? What if I was a campaign adviser? What if I helped fund a campaign?

Surely you can see that voting is just one way to participate in a democracy?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 03:53 AM
 
Regarding the Finboy "assimilate or else" sentiment, I'm having a hard time seeing that as anything other than xenophobia.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 12:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This isn't about me.
Says the guy who just said that his "insight and opinions are better formed than those of many American citizens." ?

Everything you say is about you. About you and your superior thinking, you and your superior judgment, you and your superior understanding, you and your superior taste...

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 12:43 PM
 
Run by me your definition of trolling again?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 02:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This isn't about me. It doesn't make much difference to me whether you agree with my decision. This is about your flawed argument. If I did do the get-out-the-vote thing, would you change your mind about whether my opinion is valid? What if I was a campaign adviser? What if I helped fund a campaign?

Surely you can see that voting is just one way to participate in a democracy?
My argument isn't flawed, as evidenced by your frantic posting. I'm not always right (usually am, but not always), but in this case I hit it right on the nose. As my uncle is fond of saying, "it takes a lot less work to run your mouth than your legs." As far as I can tell, all you've ever done is gripe about the USA. Actually doing something, in accordance to your convictions, seems to be too demanding.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Says the guy who just said that his "insight and opinions are better formed than those of many American citizens." ?

Everything you say is about you. About you and your superior thinking, you and your superior judgment, you and your superior understanding, you and your superior taste...

-t
Yep. Talk is cheap, and it's at even more of a discount online.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 02:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
My argument isn't flawed, as evidenced by your frantic posting. I'm not always right (usually am, but not always), but in this case I hit it right on the nose. As my uncle is fond of saying, "it takes a lot less work to run your mouth than your legs." As far as I can tell, all you've ever done is gripe about the USA. Actually doing something, in accordance to your convictions, seems to be too demanding.



Yep. Talk is cheap, and it's at even more of a discount online.

If your counter-argument involves the frequency of my posts, you're not doing so well. Subego has a point, you don't.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 03:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Run by me your definition of trolling again?
Nah, I really don't think you need help in that department. You're doing just fine by yourself.

-t
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 03:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Nah, I really don't think you need help in that department. You're doing just fine by yourself.

-t

You're welcome for your fix.

I'm happy to provide for you, but a little gratitude now and then would be nice.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 03:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If your counter-argument involves the frequency of my posts, you're not doing so well. Subego has a point, you don't.
It's the same point, you just don't care for the way I said it.

So, let us know "what you do". County commission meetings? City council? Call your state reps? Write emails to them? (None are really your reps, but they'll probably talk with you.) Or is it just the online posting thing, where you simply agree with other Left-minded people (mostly other Canadians) about how rotten the US can be? (The place that has given you a home, lo all these many years.) Since you've been here all this time, don't you owe it to the country to put your actions where your mouth is?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Nashua NH, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 04:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
spending close to $1000 and having to take a trip to Chicago is too much of an ordeal for me.
There's a few small flaws in this. 1) its $680, far short of "close". 2) It's $450 to renew a green card. So the price of put up or shut up is "close to" $200. And thats assuming you'd only renew the green card once.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2013, 04:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
There's a few small flaws in this. 1) its $680, far short of "close". 2) It's $450 to renew a green card. So the price of put up or shut up is "close to" $200. And thats assuming you'd only renew the green card once.
You're right, it looks like the cost changed in 2011... Maybe I should get my citizenship. Hmmm...
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Maybe I should get my citizenship. Hmmm...
This might be the least convincing thing you've ever typed.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2