Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Judge vs Bloomberg

The Judge vs Bloomberg
Thread Tools
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 05:55 PM
 
It would appear that the judge is winning .....

Judge halts New York City ban on large sugary drinks - Mar. 11, 2013

I am admittedly ambivalent about this situation. On the one hand I understand where Mayor Bloomberg is coming from. Obesity and related disorders like diabetes are running rampant in NYC (and the US in general) and it's well known that the high consumption of sugar is a leading cause. And gi-freaking-normous soft drinks are major culprit. The healthcare costs of the obesity epidemic are staggering. And the government ... meaning the public at large .... is often on the hook for ever increasing portions of the tab. Many moons ago when I worked at Mickey D's a "large" soda was 16 oz. Nowadays that's a "small" ... which you have to specifically request if you order a value meal. The 21 oz "medium" size is the default. My point being is that very often smaller (and more sensible) portions often aren't even available in stores and restaurants for those who prefer them. That being said, I'm also uncomfortable with the government mandating these sorts of things. Where is the line drawn between sensible public health policy vs nanny-state run amok?

OAW
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 05:56 PM
 
I read they had a loophole for 7/11s. Strike this shit down.
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 06:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I read they had a loophole for 7/11s. Strike this shit down.
I heard that as well. Which is a loophole big enough to drive a truck through. That being said, I also read that it wasn't because 7/11 had better lobbyists or anything like that. My understanding is that grocery stores and convenience stores are regulated at the state level ... so NYC regulations wouldn't apply to them by law. Go figure.

OAW
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 06:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I read they had a loophole for 7/11s. Strike this shit down.
This.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
 
Strike down the loophole, or the whole thing?
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2013, 06:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Strike down the loophole, or the whole thing?
I read it as the whole thing. I won't speak for Dakar.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 09:06 AM
 
It's stupid regulation based on the notion that Bloomberg would care more for you than you care for yourself and is probably the most narcissistic a move you'll ever see from a nanny-stater. The reason this epidemic hits poor people the hardest is because people nurture their poverty with junk food they purchase in the grocery store on Uncle Sam's (and New York's) dime. I've been there. You want to make a dent in the problem? Make the EBT Program more like the WIC program where Oreo cookies and soda do not constitute food you can purchase with EBT.

There ya go, done. Strike the whole thing down as it was just feel-good, do-nothing legislation in first place.
ebuddy
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Strike down the loophole, or the whole thing?
The whole thing. It's absurd it passed with that kind of loophole.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
It's stupid regulation based on the notion that Bloomberg would care more for you than you care for yourself and is probably the most narcissistic a move you'll ever see from a nanny-stater. The reason this epidemic hits poor people the hardest is because people nurture their poverty with junk food they purchase in the grocery store on Uncle Sam's (and New York's) dime. I've been there. You want to make a dent in the problem? Make the EBT Program more like the WIC program where Oreo cookies and soda do not constitute food you can purchase with EBT.

There ya go, done. Strike the whole thing down as it was just feel-good, do-nothing legislation in first place.
Poor people buy junk food because it's cheap. I don't know what you hope to accomplish by snack shaming them.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 07:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Make the EBT Program more like the WIC program where Oreo cookies and soda do not constitute food you can purchase with EBT.
That would fix most of the problem, all by itself.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 08:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Poor people buy junk food because it's cheap. I don't know what you hope to accomplish by snack shaming them.
There's juice, water, milk, Gatorade, etc.. Snack foods which primarily contain sugar should have never been included in EBT benefits in the first place. It's ridiculous.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 08:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Poor people buy junk food because it's cheap. I don't know what you hope to accomplish by snack shaming them.
Oreo cookies aren't cheap, but look -- I'm with you 100%. I don't want to shame people, but if you're really motivated to stop an obesity problem and you have governing authority, wouldn't you at least start by ensuring your own bureaucracies aren't exacerbating the problem? I don't want to take anything away from anyone, but then I'm also not pretending to champion healthy living by inconveniencing you-first with my every, poorly-conceived whimsy. (Bloomberg) Damnit, it's rude. They're supposed to be representing and serving us, not immediately inconveniencing people. Can't get a 2 liter bottle of soda with your friggin' large pizza? C'mon man. Enough is a friggin' nuff. I'm ashamed of NYC. I would've thought there'd be nude soda-baths going on in the streets right now protesting this nonsense. maybe it's still too cold...

NYC -- wake up, your mayor is out of control.
ebuddy
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 10:09 PM
 
ridiculous ban. I'm surprised there weren't already limits in place for the ebt, but then again, that takes maintenance (ie, people paying attention to what you're buying.)

If only clean water weren't as expensive as tasty tasty soda. (I've had NYC tap water, blech.)
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2013, 10:48 PM
 
Everyone is making really good points. But at the same time our society has developed a culture of excess when it comes to food and drink. And make no mistake about it the costs of obesity and the chronic disorders it engenders are borne by society as a whole. And if people are ok with that (e.g. higher health insurance costs, etc.) then that's fine. But am I the only one who finds it troubling that you can't even get a soda at a movie theater that is NOT so gigantic that you can finish it and the movie without ducking out to pee? I mean the SMALLEST size seem to be as big as a freaking Big Gulp. Just ridiculous.

When did a "small" soft drink become 32 ounces? | SFGate.com

OAW
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 12:05 AM
 
Bloomberg is an idiot.

If he thinks this will help, he might as well just ban poverty and obesity directly.

F*cking moron.

-t
     
cgc
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 08:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Bloomberg is an idiot.

If he thinks this will help, he might as well just ban poverty and obesity directly.

F*cking moron.

-t
Preach on Brother turtle777, preach on. Bloomberg is an idiot but are there any others like him out there we need to BOLO for?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 10:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Everyone is making really good points. But at the same time our society has developed a culture of excess when it comes to food and drink. And make no mistake about it the costs of obesity and the chronic disorders it engenders are borne by society as a whole. And if people are ok with that (e.g. higher health insurance costs, etc.) then that's fine. But am I the only one who finds it troubling that you can't even get a soda at a movie theater that is NOT so gigantic that you can finish it and the movie without ducking out to pee? I mean the SMALLEST size seem to be as big as a freaking Big Gulp. Just ridiculous.

When did a "small" soft drink become 32 ounces? | SFGate.com

OAW
I don't know if this is accurate, but I was taught growing up that the reason companies serve you these larger sizes is to justify higher prices (i.e., more bang for your buck even though you don't want that much bang).
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
 
It's the impression of "value". The larger size of drink only costs the company like a penny more, but they can charge you 50 cents more and it still looks like a bargain because per ounce based on the smaller size, you are getting a deal.

Also, large popcorns are a deal because they make you want to buy the large softdrink.

I smuggle in a bottle of water to the movies, I admit it.
     
OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 01:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't know if this is accurate, but I was taught growing up that the reason companies serve you these larger sizes is to justify higher prices (i.e., more bang for your buck even though you don't want that much bang).
That's precisely why they do it. It's the profit motive at the expense of public health. Shocker huh?

My position is that I don't mind theaters having those gigantic sizes for those who want them. I just wish they would at least offer smaller, more sensible sizes as well.

OAW
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 01:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
That's precisely why they do it. It's the profit motive at the expense of public health. Shocker huh?
Hey! What's good for Capitalism is good for us!
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 02:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Oreo cookies aren't cheap
They're not?

One whole bag is close to 2,000 calories, and costs between $2.50 and $5.00. That seems cheap to me.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 07:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It's the impression of "value". The larger size of drink only costs the company like a penny more, but they can charge you 50 cents more and it still looks like a bargain because per ounce based on the smaller size, you are getting a deal.

Also, large popcorns are a deal because they make you want to buy the large softdrink.

I smuggle in a bottle of water to the movies, I admit it.
I often smuggle in a 20oz cream soda or ginger ale.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2013, 10:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
They're not?

One whole bag is close to 2,000 calories, and costs between $2.50 and $5.00. That seems cheap to me.
You say "one WHOLE bag" as if that's a lot or would actually last more than ONE sitting.
ebuddy
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2013, 11:12 AM
 
A whole bag?

I can do a half-bagger, but I need a few hours before I start again.
     
cgc
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
 
I went to a movie theater that sold whole quarts of Breyer's ice cream...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2013, 05:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I went to a movie theater that sold whole quarts of Breyer's ice cream...
$40?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
cgc
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2013, 10:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
$40?
Never looked as it seemed so ridiculous. The theater probably had a 12-month same as cash financing plan for the tub o' ice cream.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2