Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Math & Politics don't mix

Math & Politics don't mix
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2013, 12:48 PM

Science Confirms: Politics Wrecks Your Ability to Do Math | Mother Jones
the study finds that people who are otherwise very good at math may totally flunk a problem that they would otherwise probably be able to solve, simply because giving the right answer goes against their political beliefs.
The result? Survey respondents performed wildly differently on what was in essence the same basic problem, simply depending upon whether they had been told that it involved guns or whether they had been told that it involved a new skin cream. What's more, it turns out that highly numerate liberals and conservatives were even more—not less—susceptible to letting politics skew their reasoning than were those with less mathematical ability.
For study author Kahan, these results are a fairly strong refutation of what is called the "deficit model" in the field of science and technology studies—the idea that if people just had more knowledge, or more reasoning ability, then they would be better able to come to consensus with scientists and experts on issues like climate change, evolution, the safety of vaccines, and pretty much anything else involving science or data (for instance, whether concealed weapons bans work). Kahan's data suggest the opposite—that political biases skew our reasoning abilities, and this problem seems to be worse for people with advanced capacities like scientific literacy and numeracy. "If the people who have the greatest capacities are the ones most prone to this, that's reason to believe that the problem isn't some kind of deficit in comprehension," Kahan explained in an interview.
I, for one, welcome our future computer overlords.

(A specific scenario where I can see this applied it redistricting. No one can agree on it, but I'm sure a computer could do it quite well, though the results would likely look terrible to the human eye)

Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 04:26 PM

Skin cream stats aren't widely published, gun stats are, and when a person who is political and familiar with gun statistics is shown what they believe to be a bogus stat, it triggers the "does not compute" response.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Games Meister
Oct 2, 2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Skin cream stats aren't widely published, gun stats are, and when a person who is political and familiar with gun statistics is shown what they believe to be a bogus stat, it triggers the "does not compute" response.
Most strikingly, highly numerate liberal Democrats did almost perfectly when the right answer was that the concealed weapons ban does indeed work to decrease crime (version C of the experiment)—an outcome that favors their pro-gun-control predilections. But they did much worse when the correct answer was that crime increases in cities that enact the ban (version D of the experiment).

The opposite was true for highly numerate conservative Republicans: They did just great when the right answer was that the ban didn't work (version D), but poorly when the right answer was that it did (version C).

Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I'm saying is there's been so much gun stat manipulation from both sides over the years, it's bound to pollute the sample. The people on one side embrace their favorite statistical outlets, while the other side does the same.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Games Meister
Oct 2, 2013, 04:49 PM

I don't see how that'd be a factor here.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I'm saying is there's been so much gun stat manipulation from both sides over the years, it's bound to pollute the sample. The people on one side embrace their favorite statistical outlets, while the other side does the same.
Q. How do you know when a person is familiar with correct guns stats or not?

A. They support the 2nd.

Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Q. How do you know when a person is familiar with correct guns stats or not?

A. They support the 2nd.
Really?

Although I believe it's every lawful American's right to keep and bear arms, it's up to each state to determine how that's managed (barring an outright ban). In a nation this size, and with such a diverse population, I don't presume to believe that what works for Tennessee will also work for California.
- Thomas Paine

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2013, 11:05 AM

Just ignore me Shaddim, I'm trolling.

Apologies to Dakar for the digression.

Games Meister
Oct 3, 2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Just ignore me Shaddim, I'm trolling.

Apologies to Dakar for the digression.
It's ok, I think this thread is done.

Forum Links