Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > So, any concerns right-wingers? (Apparently none at all.)

So, any concerns right-wingers? (Apparently none at all.) (Page 9)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2017, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
stop using metaphors an just say it
Spicer is on team Priebus.

Team Priebus are the good guys of the administration.

I honestly didn't realize this idea is so ****ing complicated.

Mar 20, 2017, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

Why would you say Priebus is amongst the good guys here? I think that is rather simplistic, especially in view of the fact that he reportedly teamed up with Steve Bannon to fight against “the Democrats” in the White House. No, not the Democrats you are thinking of, the people associated to Kushner such as Gary Cohn and Dina Powell.

I am not saying Priebus is a “bad guy”, on par with Bannon, I'm saying that making such black-and-white judgements is way too simplistic a point of view. Spicer's performance, peddling lies, is certainly not a good thing, something he should be commended for.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2017, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Why would you say Priebus is amongst the good guys here? I think that is rather simplistic, especially in view of the fact that he reportedly teamed up with Steve Bannon to fight against “the Democrats” in the White House. No, not the Democrats you are thinking of, the people associated to Kushner such as Gary Cohn and Dina Powell.

I am not saying Priebus is a “bad guy”, on par with Bannon, I'm saying that making such black-and-white judgements is way too simplistic a point of view. Spicer's performance, peddling lies, is certainly not a good thing, something he should be commended for.
It's a relative thing.

Also, from what I hear Bannon and Priebus hate each other's ****ing guts.

Mar 20, 2017, 11:39 PM

It's a relative thing.
That's not what you wrote, you called Priebus one of the good guys. You seem to imply that Spicer is also a good guy, because he is what, mildly moderating the craziness in the White House? (I'm not even seeing any evidence that he does.) Spicer has directly contributed to an erosion of trust in the President's word, hardly something he should be celebrated for.
Also, from what I hear Bannon and Priebus hate each other's ****ing guts.
I think their relationship is very faceted, and it seems clear that they are allies on many things. Just look at the wealth of leaks from the White House, there are many in-fighting factions that lead to Game of Throne-esque coalitions between enemies.

Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2017, 12:29 AM

That's not what you wrote
Hence the clarification. Yee-o-wow, this is a tough crowd tonight.

Priebus is trying to protect establishment interests. The establishment knows how thin the ice is, so Priebus' goal is to minimize Trump stomping around on it.

Priebus won't pull in someone who doesn't share the same goal. Priebus pulled in Spicer.

They both have impossible jobs.

Games Meister
Mar 21, 2017, 09:47 AM

I honestly didn't realize this idea is so ****ing complicated.
I guess it's complicated because your premise makes no sense to me. Spicer being part of the Priebus establishment doesn't change a thing. His actions are equally scummy no matter where he comes from.

Mar 21, 2017, 10:14 AM

Priebus won't pull in someone who doesn't share the same goal. Priebus pulled in Spicer.

They both have impossible jobs.
Nobody put a gun to their heads and told them to do it. Every time Spicer has the choice between keeping his integrity and peddling “alternative truths” that his President wants him to spread. I don't think there is any honor in it. It would be honorable and draw a line in the sand and stick to your ideals.

Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2017, 10:49 AM

I guess it's complicated because your premise makes no sense to me. Spicer being part of the Priebus establishment doesn't change a thing. His actions are equally scummy no matter where he comes from.
Nobody put a gun to their heads and told them to do it. Every time Spicer has the choice between keeping his integrity and peddling “alternative truths” that his President wants him to spread. I don't think there is any honor in it. It would be honorable and draw a line in the sand and stick to your ideals.
I could be completely wrong here. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm correct. I was asked to explain why I feel sorry for Spicer, and I'm trying to explain it.

If I am correct, and what Priebus and Spicer want to do is keep Trump on a leash, they're kinda forced to be scummy. If they draw a line in the sand, they get fired.

I think Spicer would get replaced by a true believer rather than someone trying to play the game, and that wouldn't be a good thing.

Priebus is basically Trump's Congressional Whip. Losing him could go either way. Trump having less pull with Congress isn't necessarily bad, but then the dog's off the leash, which is necessarily bad.

Games Meister
Mar 21, 2017, 10:58 AM

Ok here's my thing: How does a press secretary keep Trump on a leash? By definition even the good ones lie and spin. Spicer just has to do more of it, in the most egregious manner possible. His spin shields the president, not restrains him.

Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2017, 09:16 AM

Ok here's my thing: How does a press secretary keep Trump on a leash? By definition even the good ones lie and spin. Spicer just has to do more of it, in the most egregious manner possible. His spin shields the president, not restrains him.
All he can do in the open is suck enough to keep people disliking Trump, but not suck so much he gets fired. Trust me, this is better than the alternative, which would be someone like Laura Ingraham.

Behind the scenes, he can leak whatever the hell he wants, and he's Priebus' spy.

Games Meister
Mar 22, 2017, 10:14 AM

Let's just say you've dreamed up quite a scenario there. There's nothing to indicate Spicer is that good guy.

Games Meister
Mar 22, 2017, 10:18 AM

So the real answer is, "I feel bad for Spicer because I made up a scenario in my mind where he's a double agent working for the side of good."

Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2017, 10:42 AM

I think Priebus brought on Spicer. I think it's safe to assume that means they have a relationship.

Spicer's history is with the establishment, and all previous indications are he isn't a psychopath, unless someone brings up Dippin' Dots.

Priebus is smart enough to realize things are kinda ****ed up, and wants to be (and remain) one of the voices of sanity. To that end, he will use the tools at his disposal, and one of those tools is Spicer.

As I said, I'm not trying to convince anyone. I was asked why I felt the way I did and offered my explanation. At this point it's completely **** me for playing.

Games Meister
Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules