MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Alternative Operating Systems (http://forums.macnn.com/alternative-operating-systems/)
-   -   Boot Camp Option Key not working (http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/322349/boot-camp-option-key-not-working/)

davidrivera Dec 30, 2006 01:15 PM
Boot Camp Option Key not working
I just installed Boot Camp on my new Mac Pro although it installed fine the Option Key will not show me the boot loader. The only way to go back forth between OS's is to go through the Startup Disk in System Preferences (on XP it's in Control Panel). Other than that everything is fine with Boot Camp (the drivers and XP all work well). Anyone know of a way to get the Option Key to show the boot loader?

Blasphemy Dec 31, 2006 12:00 PM
Are you pressing and holding it as soon as you hear the chime?

davidrivera Dec 31, 2006 01:46 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Blasphemy (Post 3254166)
Are you pressing and holding it as soon as you hear the chime?
I tried holding the option key as soon as I hear the chime, I hit it before it chimed and nothing worked. Since my XP partition has nothing in it I going get rid of it and reinstall boot camp.

davidrivera Dec 31, 2006 04:29 PM
Well I reinstalled XP and no difference. At least this time I put XP on a NTFS partiion which is better than fat32. It would have been nice to be able to toggle back and forth using the Option Key but at least I can use Startup Disk on System Preferences (on XP Control Panel) to get to XP and OS X.

davidrivera Apr 30, 2007 11:29 AM
I was searching through the Apple support forums and found a solution to the Option Key Problem. I had my Logitech USB headset connected to the keyboard's USB port. With the headset connected to it the keyboard didn't initialize fast enough to register the option key in time. When I connected my headset to the system's USB port the option key worked and I was able to see the boot loader.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Option key at startup & USB headset ...

ghporter Apr 30, 2007 04:42 PM
Pretty darn interesting. It sounds like it would be a Good Idea not to have ANYTHING plugged into your keyboard's USB port when booting if you want to select which system to boot into.

davidrivera May 1, 2007 12:18 PM
I have my WACOM tablet as well the mouse connected to the keyboard's USB ports with no problems, however the Logitech headset caused me to loose the boot loader.

KiD May 1, 2007 01:16 PM
Thanks for the Tip, very interesting information :)!

XPonMacPro May 17, 2007 10:21 AM
Temporary solution to Option Key not working
I am using mostly XP on a MacPro with Bootcamp 1.2. My boot process was straight to Windows, which was fine for months. I always could use the option key to boot in Mac. One day, I wanted to use OSX so I pressed on the Option button while booting. To my surprise, it continued straight to XP. I went to the Control Panel, Start Option to change the boot sequence to Mac OSX and rebooted without problem in Mac OSX. Did my work and wanted to boot back in XP. I kept my finger on the option key while booting but it went straight to OSX. I went to the Preference Pane (or whatever it's called) and tried to change the booting sequence back to XP. Much to my surprrise again, it just was not available as a choice! I updated Bootcamp, thinking that some updating that I did on either side might have screwed the booting process. No change.

My temporary solution that works all the time is I put a XP bootable CD in, I go to Preference Pane (in OSX), see the XP CD as a Boot choice, choose to reboot with that. This process brings me back to my current XP side. The idea to reinstall XP is very cute but certainly not realistic for people using the computer as something else then a toy.

Anybody with the real solution?

ghporter May 17, 2007 10:42 AM
"That's not supposed to happen." With that said, were there any issues when you installed Boot Camp? Have you updated it at all?

I'd "reinstall" Boot Camp with a new download from Apple. That could correct an obvious problem somewhere in there that prevents the boot manager from doing its thing. I certainly don't think it's your Option key; there are way too many other things wrong for it to be that. I'm betting it's the boot manager itself that's not right.

Reinstalling Boot Camp WILL NOT do anything to your Windows partition.

ibook_steve May 17, 2007 02:06 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ghporter (Post 3382693)
"That's not supposed to happen." With that said, were there any issues when you installed Boot Camp? Have you updated it at all?

I'd "reinstall" Boot Camp with a new download from Apple. That could correct an obvious problem somewhere in there that prevents the boot manager from doing its thing. I certainly don't think it's your Option key; there are way too many other things wrong for it to be that. I'm betting it's the boot manager itself that's not right.

Reinstalling Boot Camp WILL NOT do anything to your Windows partition.
I don't think this will help. The boot manager is in the machine's firmware, so as long as the firmware is up to date (which it has to be to allow installation of BC), holding option should always get you there no matter what software you have installed. What machine do you have and where are you pressing the option key? If it's a laptop, are you pressing it on the internal keyboard or an external one? If it's a desktop machine, have you tried a different keyboard?

Oh, I just noticed you're not seeing the XP volume in Startup Disk System Preferences. If that's the case, there's something fishy about the system not recognizing your BC partition, but the option key should still work. You may need to reinstall BC as mentioned.

Steve

ghporter May 17, 2007 02:14 PM
I did not mean the firmware's boot manager, but rather the application (on both sides) that selects which partition to boot to. I don't know what else to call it-boot selector sounds like the widget, not the actual code...

GuillaumeB Jul 30, 2007 06:02 PM
I'm refreshing this topic because I just installed bootcamp and the Control key is not working either over here. I have no USB devices pugged in.

I have come to the point where I put a shortcut on both desktop to the startup harddrive options...

Anyone knows a trick to make the boot process actually work as it should?

thank

ibook_steve Jul 30, 2007 09:05 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by GuillaumeB (Post 3443190)
I'm refreshing this topic because I just installed bootcamp and the Control key is not working either over here. I have no USB devices pugged in.

I have come to the point where I put a shortcut on both desktop to the startup harddrive options...

Anyone knows a trick to make the boot process actually work as it should?

thank
Well, for one thing, unless it's a typo, you should be holding the option key at boot, not the control key.

Steve

ghporter Jul 30, 2007 09:05 PM
Never had any problem with it... You DID install the Boot Camp driver disc, right? You may want to run it again-sometimes Windows drivers don't install perfectly, but won't report a problem either.

And good catch, ibook steve. I was just zooming along without thinking about what I was reading.