MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Alternative Operating Systems (http://forums.macnn.com/alternative-operating-systems/)
-   -   Microsoft Word in OS-X and Parellels (http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/343725/microsoft-word-in-os-x-parellels/)

fcf Jul 31, 2007 08:02 PM
Microsoft Word in OS-X and Parellels
I have a Macbook Pro and I have Microsoft Word installed on both my Mac side and my Windows side. Every time I open a Word doc it automatically opens up in the windows side. How do I get it to open only in my OS-X (MAC) side and not the windows side. Any advise would help..thanks!!!!

seanc Jul 31, 2007 08:08 PM
You mean it's opening up in Parallels and Windows?

Big Mac Jul 31, 2007 08:10 PM
Click on a Word file and choose Get Info from the File Menu. On the lower half of the window you'll see Open With. Click the button, navigate to Word and select it, then click "Change All." That should work.

Macola Aug 1, 2007 09:55 AM
This problem is caused by Parallel's "SmartSelect" feature. BigMac's solution above will fix it. You may experience it also with other filetypes (Excel and PPT, for example) if you have the same app installed in both Windows and OS X.

fcf Aug 3, 2007 01:39 PM
Thank you for your help!!!! It worked!!

ghporter Aug 3, 2007 06:35 PM
I'm going to put a reference to this thread in the Parallels sticky. That's just wrong! At least wrong that it isn't painfully obvious what's happening.

mattco72 Aug 7, 2007 09:51 AM
this may be a dumb question but why in the world would you have word on both sides of parallels? I could see it being on a boot camp side and on OSX but why in Parallels?

ibook_steve Aug 7, 2007 05:11 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattco72 (Post 3449225)
this may be a dumb question but why in the world would you have word on both sides of parallels? I could see it being on a boot camp side and on OSX but why in Parallels?
Why not? Especially if you use a Boot Camp partition for Parallels and switch to using Boot Camp occasionally. Also, unfortunately, Office 2004 does not have all the features or absolute perfect compatibility with Office 2003 for Windows (Powerpoint compatibility and feature comparison in particular sucks; I wish Keynote was more compatible; maybe the new '08 version will be).

Steve

Macola Aug 8, 2007 09:14 AM
What ibook_steve said. Also, for me, Word 2003 in Parallels is actually much faster than Word 2004 in OS X especially when dealing with long and complex documents.

ibook_steve Aug 8, 2007 11:58 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Macola (Post 3450453)
What ibook_steve said. Also, for me, Word 2003 in Parallels is actually much faster than Word 2004 in OS X especially when dealing with long and complex documents.
That's just sad. I see the same same thing with Word as well as PP. And now with the Mac BU taking until next January to update these almost 4 year old (!) apps, it sucks even more.

Steve

mattco72 Aug 8, 2007 09:15 PM
Now that iWork has added a spreadsheet, I think I might give it a try. I have office 04 for mac and I have neooffice and use Excel the most. I am, however, impressed with the newest build of Neooffice. It is even compatible with Office 07 for Windows.

And I never use Powerpoint so I have no idea about the compatibilities of it.