MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Alternative Operating Systems (http://forums.macnn.com/alternative-operating-systems/)
-   -   iMac 21.5" Windows 7 Only Using 2.23GB RAM (http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/496413/imac-21-5-windows-7-only/)

Waragainstsleep Dec 21, 2012 04:09 AM
iMac 21.5" Windows 7 Only Using 2.23GB RAM
I recently installed Win 7 onto an iMac using Bootcamp for the purposes of playing Farcry 3 but Windows says that while it can see 12GB installed it is only addressing 2.23GB.

Does anyone know a way around this without having to buy a 64-bit copy of Win 7?

angelmb Dec 22, 2012 03:23 AM
None that I am aware of.

cgc Dec 22, 2012 05:15 PM
Nope...gotta have 64-bit windows. Don't there was ever a way around that limitation though there was some switch command to do something in XP, though in the end it did nothing.

Waragainstsleep Dec 23, 2012 04:09 PM
Its just weird that its limited to 2.23GB. The usual 3.5GB I could live with. Windows knows there is 12GB there.

cgc Dec 25, 2012 01:34 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4208526)
Its just weird that its limited to 2.23GB. The usual 3.5GB I could live with. Windows knows there is 12GB there.
Yeah, it is odd that you only have 2.23GB unless that's the available amount of RAM and not the total useable RAM. Windows XP (32-bit) would report the actual amount of RAM installed but would only allow up to about 3.5GB to be used. Upgrade to Windows 8 for $39 while you can...I like it (especially after installing Start8).

Waragainstsleep Dec 25, 2012 02:45 PM
Yeah, it was saying 12GB installed but only 2.23GB used.

I upgraded. Now it just says 12GB RAM. Thanks all.

Laminar Jan 12, 2013 10:14 AM
Looks like the 2.23GB thing is common for Macs and Boot Camp. Were you able to download the 64-bit ISO from Microsoft and use your current key?

P Jan 14, 2013 04:39 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by cgc (Post 4208441)
Nope...gotta have 64-bit windows. Don't there was ever a way around that limitation though there was some switch command to do something in XP, though in the end it did nothing.
Zombie answer, but basically it was like this: On a processor that supported PAE - which is anything newer than the Pentium Pro in 1995 - the BIOS could elevate part of your memory so that it was above the 4 GB limit. Addressing-wise, you'd have (say) 2 GB of memory from 0-2GB, then the other hardware, and then some more memory from 4 GB and up. This way you could use the full 4 GB of RAM, at least - and with some BIOSes, even more than that up to 64 GB total. This little hack required support from the OS, and Windows XP did support that - before Service Pack 2.

Apparently many drivers out there, particularly ones from a certain graphics developer with a name that begins with N, violated a number of driver writing guidelines and crashed when confronted with addressing space above 4 GB. MS simply yanked the feature from XP with the introduction of Service Pack 2. By then, 64-bit XP (which is a client version of Windows Server 2003 rather than a true port of XP 32-bit) was out, and MS thought it better if everyone with such "extreme" memory requirements used that. Anyway - the switch to enable PAE mode was left in XP SP2, even if it didn't really do anything any more.

cgc Jan 14, 2013 06:56 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4211673)
Zombie answer, but basically it was like this: On a processor that supported PAE - which is anything newer than the Pentium Pro in 1995 - the BIOS could elevate part of your memory so that it was above the 4 GB limit. Addressing-wise, you'd have (say) 2 GB of memory from 0-2GB, then the other hardware, and then some more memory from 4 GB and up. This way you could use the full 4 GB of RAM, at least - and with some BIOSes, even more than that up to 64 GB total. This little hack required support from the OS, and Windows XP did support that - before Service Pack 2.

Apparently many drivers out there, particularly ones from a certain graphics developer with a name that begins with N, violated a number of driver writing guidelines and crashed when confronted with addressing space above 4 GB. MS simply yanked the feature from XP with the introduction of Service Pack 2. By then, 64-bit XP (which is a client version of Windows Server 2003 rather than a true port of XP 32-bit) was out, and MS thought it better if everyone with such "extreme" memory requirements used that. Anyway - the switch to enable PAE mode was left in XP SP2, even if it didn't really do anything any more.
Yeah, that's what I said... :)