MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Applications (http://forums.macnn.com/applications/)
-   -   Some commonly used Macintosh applications (http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/208907/some-commonly-used-macintosh-applications/)

 
mindwaves Apr 10, 2004 04:13 PM
Some commonly used Macintosh applications
*UPDATED 3/25/05 http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...5#post1938875*


Based on an idea in another thread, and to prevent people from posting the same things over and over, I have decided to make a new thread listing all commonly used Macintosh applications. This thread will be dedicated to ideas and the such and I will take these ideas and make it into a sticky (in a new thread).

So list your ideas here:

Commonly used video viewing applications:

1) Mplayer
2) VLC
3) Quicktime

Commonly used FTP applications

1) Interarchy
2) Rbrowser
3) Transmit
4) Fetch

Commonly used Word processing applications

1) Microsoft Word
2) Textedit
3) AppleWorks
4) Mellel

Commonly used Chat applications

1) Adium
2) iChat
3) AIM
4) MSN Messenger
5) Fire

Feel free to add your ideas here. The final draft will include the relevant links also and a short description. Thanks.
 
mdc Apr 10, 2004 04:24 PM
Re: Some commonly used Macintosh applications
Commonly used FTP applications

cyberduck

Commonly used Word processing applications

subethaedit

Commonly used Chat applications

proteus
 
Uncle Skeleton Apr 10, 2004 06:51 PM
might I suggest linking to the actual website instead of versiontracker/macupdate links which may or may not break without notice? It would also be a good idea to explicitly link to versiontracker and macupdate themselves as a resource for finding new or lesser-known apps.

and how about a group for Web Browsers (and maybe a list of their pros and cons if you're feeling generous), and image editors (GraphicConverter)? And I submit BBEdit for text editors, and Cellulo for video (it has playlists and reads all kinds of wacky sub formats). Other categories at your discretion of course: CD burning, File Sharing, Screen Capture, and whatever VPC is.
 
wataru Apr 10, 2004 07:20 PM
Free open source software

NeoOffice/J (office suite)
Gimp.app (graphic manipulation)
Fink (package manager)
TeXShop (technical typesetting)
Desktop Manager (virtual desktops)
Mozilla Firefox (web browser)
R (statistics package)
ImageJ (image processing/analysis)
 
juanvaldes Apr 10, 2004 10:05 PM
Re: Re: Some commonly used Macintosh applications
Quote
Originally posted by mdc:

Commonly used Word processing applications

subethaedit

I'd change that to "Developement applications" and include fink, XCode, AppKiDo...
 
Mr. Blur Apr 10, 2004 10:21 PM
maybe groups for back-up applications, and maybe "utility" programs like diskwarrior, techtool, norton etc etc.

and i agree with uncle skeleton - link to the developer's website instead of versiontracker...or maybe provide 2 links - 1 to the website and a second that searches this forum - that might cut down on some of the duplicate threads.
 
wataru Apr 11, 2004 05:47 PM
I don't think this thread is going to do much good unless it's sticky.
 
brutal Apr 20, 2004 04:57 AM
Dude, you should add Camino to the web browser list.
The latest nightlies are AWESOME! :thumbsup:
 
jokell82 Apr 20, 2004 01:27 PM
For the file transfer category, Fugu. Won an apple design award last year. Check it out:
http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/
 
finboy Apr 20, 2004 11:13 PM
Re: Some commonly used Macintosh applications
Quote
Originally posted by mindwaves:
Based on an idea in another thread, and to prevent people from posting the same things over and over, I have decided to make a new thread listing all commonly used Macintosh applications. This thread will be dedicated to ideas and the such and I will take these ideas and make it into a sticky (in a new thread).

So list your ideas here:
Dude:
We need some consensus on a backup application for OS X or OS 9. Some folks like SuperDuper, and some like CarbonCopyCloner. Making backups and bootable CDs seem to be hot topics in threads, so maybe you can add these (or YOUR backup strategy/software) to the list.

Also, don't forget TexEdit as an editor/word processor. That thing's been around for ever, and it's bulletproof.
 
mindwaves Apr 21, 2004 12:28 AM
Updated, and yes, I already had textedit in there. The new link:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...75#post1938875


Thanks.
 
Uncle Skeleton Apr 21, 2004 02:11 AM
Cellulo is more like "alternative video player based on QuickTime that supports playlists and many subtitle formats"

And how can you leave out GraphicConverter? Even if it doesn't fit in any category, it's the quintissential mac app.
 
mindwaves Apr 21, 2004 02:24 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Uncle Skeleton:
Cellulo is more like "alternative video player based on QuickTime that supports playlists and many subtitle formats"

And how can you leave out GraphicConverter? Even if it doesn't fit in any category, it's the quintissential mac app.
Updated. Thanks.
 
JKT Apr 21, 2004 06:06 AM
Very nice idea for a sticky this one!

Comment - If you are going to include NeoOffice/J, then you ought to also include OpenOffice.org which runs in X11 - the reason being that this version will likely merge in the latest OOo 1.1.1 code quite a while before NO/J. Also, you ought to put both of these under the Office apps heading (there is nothing geeky about installing and using either).

Under the Backup files/restore files/clone a drive heading:

FoldersSynchronizer (shareware)

Can I also suggest another few headings (with my recommendations for them below):

Menu extras:

1. ImageWell (freeware) - enables extremely easy uploading of images to your iDisk (or other WebDAV or FTP servers)
2. iAddressX (shareware) - puts your AddressBook details in the menubar
3. MUmenu (freeware) - puts a listing of the latest MacUpdate downloads in your menu bar

Science Apps:

1. EnzymeX (freeware) - determine which restriction enzymes you should use to cut your DNA of interest.
2. 4Peaks (freeware) - visualize and edit DNA sequence files (an OS X native equivalent of ABI's EditView)
3. PyMol (sponsorware; free to academics) - a molecular graphics system with an embedded Python interpreter designed for real-time visualization and rapid generation of high-quality molecular graphics images and animations.

Services:

1. WordService (freeware) - provides 34 functions to convert, format or speak the currently selected text, to insert data or to show statistics of the selection within all Cocoa applications and Carbon applications supporting services
2. CalcService (freeware) - calculates the result of a selected formula within all Cocoa-applications and appends the result to the formula or replaces the formula with the result. In addition there's the possibility to display the result in a panel without modifying the text.
3. CalendarCreator (freeware) - will take whatever text you've selected and attempt to parse it into a dated event in iCal.

Edited to direct links to developer sites instead of Macupdate and to include Pymol in the science apps
 
wataru Apr 21, 2004 11:14 AM
I can't believe I forgot MenuMeters, possibly the most useful menu extra ever.
 
trash80 Apr 21, 2004 11:21 AM
BBEdit/TextWrangler - is my pick for web development / word processing

Goliath is a great WebDAV file transfer program, i use it to transfer files to my iDisk, it works so much faster than mounting the thing with Finder :D
 
lngtones Apr 21, 2004 02:06 PM
Quote
Originally posted by jokell82:
For the file transfer category, Fugu. Won an apple design award last year. Check it out:
http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/
Apple design award for interface most resembling another app.

yeah, I know they do different things, but still...
 
kovacs Apr 21, 2004 04:14 PM
Euhm what about... iTunes, ShapeShifter, CandyBar, Cocktail, Quicksilver, Launchbar, Stuffit Expander and UnRar ?
 
wataru Apr 21, 2004 04:47 PM
Quote
Originally posted by kovacs:
Euhm what about... iTunes, Stuffit Expander
Those come with the system. Everyone has them. We don't need to tell people about them.

If you really want those other ones on the list, why don't you provide a link to the developer's website and a quick blurb about it.
 
kovacs Apr 21, 2004 05:08 PM
Quote
Originally posted by wataru:
Those come with the system. Everyone has them. We don't need to tell people about them.
Ok but they are commonly used.

Quote
Originally posted by wataru:

If you really want those other ones on the list, why don't you provide a link to the developer's website and a quick blurb about it.
ShapeShifter switch themes safely
Unrar open RAR files, quick and easy
CandyBar change the system icons
Quicksilver keyboard launcher
LaunchBar keyboard launcher
Cocktail tweak hidden settings in os x and perform maintenance
 
jokell82 Apr 22, 2004 02:19 AM
Quote
Originally posted by lngtones:
Apple design award for interface most resembling another app.

yeah, I know they do different things, but still...
How different can you make an FTP program? Seriously.
 
juanvaldes Apr 22, 2004 03:06 AM
Quote
Originally posted by brutal:
Dude, you should add Camino to the web browser list.
The latest nightlies are AWESOME! :thumbsup:
need camino on the list.
 
threestain Apr 22, 2004 07:32 AM
voodoo pad?
 
angelmb Apr 22, 2004 02:31 PM
to keep text info plus images in safe condition:


LittleSecrets
 
torifile Apr 22, 2004 10:49 PM
Recently, I've been a big user (and fan) of devon think. It's a very useful app and a GREAT example of what OS X can do.

I'm also a big OmniOutliner fan.
 
Graymalkin Apr 23, 2004 04:02 AM
This is one of the best threads I've ever seen on this forum. Someone please make it sticky. :D
 
JKT Apr 23, 2004 05:10 AM
It already is a sticky, but as a separate thread... it's up to mindwaves to keep it up to date.

Services:

How could I have forgotten OmniDictionary

I don't know where you want to put this one, but OmniGraffle should be somewhere as well!
 
pliny Apr 24, 2004 09:41 AM
Unison Usenet newsreader
Poisoned spyware- and adware-free open source file sharing
Meteorologist weather on your desktop, open source
 
threestain Apr 25, 2004 07:09 PM
Proteus

Osirix - the best DICOM medical image viewer on ANY platform as far as I can see!

Menu calender - great little freebie app
 
mindwaves Apr 25, 2004 11:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I will try to update the list soon, but I am busy. The reason for a separate thread for comments is because I want "commonly used" applications or good applications for a specific purpose. What separates this thread from the "Top 5 or so shareware apps for Mac OS X" is this thread is just common apps and not just your favorite apps so please don't feel bad if I leave your suggestion out. After all, it is a suggestion.
 
threestain Apr 26, 2004 03:54 PM
Don't forget Keynote!
 
finboy Apr 26, 2004 10:54 PM
Quote
Originally posted by mindwaves:
Updated, and yes, I already had textedit in there. The new link:


Thanks.
No, not TextEdit, TexEdit, found here:

http://www.tex-edit.com/

from Trans-Tex software.
 
Zimphire Apr 26, 2004 11:09 PM
 
voodoo May 2, 2004 01:18 PM
How on Earth can you recommend Netscape 7 (unsupported) and Firefox (incomplete) but *not* Mozilla??? (complete and maintained)

Hello?
 
wataru May 2, 2004 01:20 PM
Yeah, Netscape 7 blows. Put Mozilla in instead.
 
mindwaves May 2, 2004 01:52 PM
Updated, will do more later
 
Oneota May 7, 2004 08:29 AM
Quote
Originally posted by brutal:
Dude, you should add Camino to the web browser list.
The latest nightlies are AWESOME! :thumbsup:
Here's another vote for adding Camino to the list.
 
Paul Richardson May 7, 2004 11:39 AM
Software Metering
When you use SofTrack you quickly gain control of your software acquisition and maintenance expenditures while reducing your risk of copyright infringement and piracy.

SofTrack Software Metering is a cross-platform platform that will help you control software licenses by restricting concurrent usage and by blocking use of undesirable applications.

SofTrack's reporting options include an audit trail of all applications used.


SofTrack
 
Ludovic Hirlimann May 13, 2004 05:02 AM
Re: Some commonly used Macintosh applications
Quote
Originally posted by mindwaves:
*UPDATED 5/02/04 http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...5#post1938875*
Web Browser Section
Camino
 
mindwaves May 13, 2004 06:05 PM
Re: Re: Some commonly used Macintosh applications
Quote
Originally posted by Ludovic Hirlimann:
Web Browser Section
Camino
done
 
JKT May 14, 2004 05:56 AM
FWIW, you've misnamed FoldersSynchronizer X

Also, I still think that you should include OOo and/or NeoOffice/J in the word processing section rather than the feeling geeky bit. NeoOffice/J at the least.
 
absmiths May 20, 2004 10:58 AM
The video apps are misleading and confusing. Many users have AVI files which can only be played by certain of the many AVI players out there - and the question comes up frequently about "Why can't Quicktime play my AVI file - it supports AVI, right?" when it is really an indeo codec, etc.

Maybe this is too concise a list for this purpose, but the video players look equivalent from the listings but I have had to resort to mplayer for some files, then vlc, then QuickTime in Classic, then WMP, etc, for files that are 'supported' by all.
 
absmiths May 20, 2004 11:00 AM
Quote
Originally posted by lngtones:
Apple design award for interface most resembling another app.

yeah, I know they do different things, but still...
Wow, how could Apple have missed that - the Transmit.app interface is even better done.
 
ClaraT May 27, 2004 01:57 PM
Quote
Originally posted by JKT:
Very nice idea for a sticky this one!

Comment - If you are going to include NeoOffice/J, then you ought to also include OpenOffice.org which runs in X11 - the reason being that this version will likely merge in the latest OOo 1.1.1 code quite a while before NO/J. Also, you ought to put both of these under the Office apps heading (there is nothing geeky about installing and using either).

Under the Backup files/restore files/clone a drive heading:

FoldersSynchronizer (shareware)

Can I also suggest another few headings (with my recommendations for them below):

Menu extras:

1. ImageWell (freeware) - enables extremely easy uploading of images to your iDisk (or other WebDAV or FTP servers)
2. iAddressX (shareware) - puts your AddressBook details in the menubar
3. MUmenu (freeware) - puts a listing of the latest MacUpdate downloads in your menu bar

Science Apps:

1. EnzymeX (freeware) - determine which restriction enzymes you should use to cut your DNA of interest.
2. 4Peaks (freeware) - visualize and edit DNA sequence files (an OS X native equivalent of ABI's EditView)
3. PyMol (sponsorware; free to academics) - a molecular graphics system with an embedded Python interpreter designed for real-time visualization and rapid generation of high-quality molecular graphics images and animations.

Services:

1. WordService (freeware) - provides 34 functions to convert, format or speak the currently selected text, to insert data or to show statistics of the selection within all Cocoa applications and Carbon applications supporting services
2. CalcService (freeware) - calculates the result of a selected formula within all Cocoa-applications and appends the result to the formula or replaces the formula with the result. In addition there's the possibility to display the result in a panel without modifying the text.
3. CalendarCreator (freeware) - will take whatever text you've selected and attempt to parse it into a dated event in iCal.

Edited to direct links to developer sites instead of Macupdate and to include Pymol in the science apps

Ok, I might have just wasted the last four hours of my life trying to get Open Office to work on my computer (OS X 10.3.3) and I hate giving up. Am I in over my head as I'm not a developer? I thought I could use this instead of Office 2004--am I totally mistaken.

I've downloaded from the Open Office site, got OroborOS on, got XDarwin, got XFree86 and feel like I am hopelessly lost. When I double click on Start OpenOffice.org I just can't get anything to happen. Been on their forums, faqs, readme, what's a theme anyway--sheesh!!

I
I thought this would be simple and that I could use Open Office instead of Office 2004.

Does it in fact do what Office 2004 does?

Any suggestions--and I mean easy steps to follow, ie a. b. c. to be able to try out Open Office. I'd be willing to follow some instructions and salvage the last lost 4 hours at my desk.

Or should I bust open the box that has Office 2004 in and forfeit the ability to get a refund.:brick:

thanks,

ClaraT
 
wataru May 27, 2004 07:10 PM
Quote
Originally posted by ClaraT:
Ok, I might have just wasted the last four hours of my life trying to get Open Office to work on my computer (OS X 10.3.3) and I hate giving up. Am I in over my head as I'm not a developer? I thought I could use this instead of Office 2004--am I totally mistaken.

I've downloaded from the Open Office site, got OroborOS on, got XDarwin, got XFree86 and feel like I am hopelessly lost. When I double click on Start OpenOffice.org I just can't get anything to happen. Been on their forums, faqs, readme, what's a theme anyway--sheesh!!

I
I thought this would be simple and that I could use Open Office instead of Office 2004.

Does it in fact do what Office 2004 does?

Any suggestions--and I mean easy steps to follow, ie a. b. c. to be able to try out Open Office. I'd be willing to follow some instructions and salvage the last lost 4 hours at my desk.

Or should I bust open the box that has Office 2004 in and forfeit the ability to get a refund.:brick:

thanks,

ClaraT
Ok, your first problem is that you don't need OrborOSX, XDarwin, or XFree86. Why did you download those? All you need is Apple's X11, which comes with 10.3. After that, all you need to do is download the OO.o 1.0.3 installer (1.1.1 requires you to install 1.0.3 first anyway) and run it. Very simple.

But why are you bothering with that, anyway? Just try NeoOffice/J. It's OO.o 1.0.3 but without the X11 dependence. It's incredibly easy to install.
 
Judge_Fire May 27, 2004 08:03 PM
Great thread(s), thanks Mindwaves.

Some of these apps have already been mentioned, but I thought I'd suggest a category for them, too:

Manage files differently:

LaunchBar - instant access utility which saves one from searching for apps and files

Quicksilver - same as above

Butler - same as above

Path Finder - not happy with the Finder? Try using this as an alternative/complement.

Default Folder - gives open/save dialogs a functionality boost.

FruitMenu - more features and flexibility in your contextual and apple menus.

J
 
Judge_Fire May 27, 2004 08:09 PM
Then we should have something along the lines Plan/Mindmap/Outline ideas/concepts, where there should be:

MyMind - a free outliner which renders hierarchical maps.

ConceptDraw - a family of planning and visualisation apps.

OmniGraffle - impressive diagramming and charting tool.

OmniOutliner - versatile text-based outliner.

Others.... ?

J
 
ClaraT May 27, 2004 10:03 PM
Quote
Originally posted by wataru:
Ok, your first problem is that you don't need OrborOSX, XDarwin, or XFree86. Why did you download those? All you need is Apple's X11, which comes with 10.3. After that, all you need to do is download the OO.o 1.0.3 installer (1.1.1 requires you to install 1.0.3 first anyway) and run it. Very simple.

But why are you bothering with that, anyway? Just try NeoOffice/J. It's OO.o 1.0.3 but without the X11 dependence. It's incredibly easy to install.

I don't know what I did--fiddled around with the preferences in OrborOSX or something--but I actually got OpenOffice to work. Not very impressed with the look--too much like a Windows PC, yecchh!

So you think I can uninstall all that stuff I downloaded, which by the way the prompts kept telling me to do, and go with NeoOffice/J?

Will, give it a whirl in the morning. Appreciate your advice. Just go to their site and download the one that works for OS X 10.3 right? Simple eh?

thanks
ClaraT
 
wataru May 27, 2004 11:13 PM
Quote
Originally posted by ClaraT:
I don't know what I did--fiddled around with the preferences in OrborOSX or something--but I actually got OpenOffice to work. Not very impressed with the look--too much like a Windows PC, yecchh!

So you think I can uninstall all that stuff I downloaded, which by the way the prompts kept telling me to do, and go with NeoOffice/J?

Will, give it a whirl in the morning. Appreciate your advice. Just go to their site and download the one that works for OS X 10.3 right? Simple eh?

thanks
ClaraT
Yes, I recommend that you get rid of all X11 implementations other than Apple's.

NeoOffice/J's interface is just as ugly as regular OO.o's is, but it acts more like a regular OS X app in many important ways: It's double-clickable, it uses regular OS X fonts, it uses regular OS X print dialogs, it supports Asian language input, and etc.
 
JKT May 28, 2004 06:20 AM
Quote
Originally posted by ClaraT:
I don't know what I did--fiddled around with the preferences in OrborOSX or something--but I actually got OpenOffice to work. Not very impressed with the look--too much like a Windows PC, yecchh!

So you think I can uninstall all that stuff I downloaded, which by the way the prompts kept telling me to do, and go with NeoOffice/J?

Will, give it a whirl in the morning. Appreciate your advice. Just go to their site and download the one that works for OS X 10.3 right? Simple eh?

thanks
ClaraT
Unfortunately, until work begins on OpenOffice 2.0 (which should hopefully give us a fully OS X native app), we're likely to be stuck with the ugly windows look of OOo and Neo/J. But, if you can get over the yeuch factor, the apps are very powerful for no cost what-so-ever, and you are also supporting the liberation of the office application field from the grip of Microsoft (or more pertinently, from the grip of the .doc, .xls, .ppt closed formats... Office itself is an OKish app when it doesn't eat your work*, its the "owning" of your data by MS that I vehemently dislike).

* a long and unhappy (for me) story.

Edit: FWIW, you can change the appearance of OOo/NeoO/J to a Classic Mac OS look - still the ugly grey, but the buttons and menubars are the old school MacOS 9 styling. It's one of the General preferences IIRC. Edit 2: It's an option under the View>Display>Look and Feel section
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2