MacNN Forums (
-   Applications (
-   -   Browser for 10.5 on PPC (

ghporter Jan 27, 2013 09:13 AM
Browser for 10.5 on PPC
I am trying to set up an iBook for occasional use in my hobby room, and so far I've gotten to the point that it's running OS X 10.5 (quite nicely), but I seem to be stuck with Safari, not my favorite browser. Chrome and Firefox no longer support 10.5 (and probably not PPC processors, either), and I can't find old versions of these that do.

Is there a relatively current browser that I can run on my iBook? Failing that, where can I find old versions of either Chrome or Firefox?
Thorzdad Jan 27, 2013 09:56 AM
Glenn. 3.6.28 was the last stable Firefox version that ran on 10.5 PPC.
cgc Jan 27, 2013 12:11 PM
Check out TenFourFox.
angelmb Jan 27, 2013 12:45 PM
Also, consider iCab, Camino or Aurora.
shifuimam Jan 27, 2013 10:23 PM
Second vote for TenFourFox. I use it for nearly everything on my PPC Macs. It can slow things down a bit if you go too tab-crazy, but other than that it's better than Safari.

Chrome never had a PowerPC binary available. That said you might be able to compile Chromium for PPC yourself, if you're feeling adventurous.

Also: what are the specs on your iBook and what tweaks (if any) did you do to get 10.5 running decently? I put it on my 867Mhz PB G4 and it ran like total crap. I ended up reverting to Tiger.
ghporter Jan 28, 2013 07:57 AM
I used a dodge called "LeopardAssist," which fools the installer into thinking the machine is a 977 MHz (or something like that) based computer. It worked flawlessly, and now so does 10.5. It's an iBook G4, 800MHz with maxed out RAM, and an upgraded AirPort card.

I'll have to check out Camino (don't know why I hadn't thought of it) and TenFourFox. Thanks for the suggestions.
shifuimam Feb 15, 2013 10:56 AM
I maxed out the RAM on my PB, and let me tell you, Leopard runs like TOTAL CRAP. It's unusably slow. I'd almost say it's as bad as Tiger on my old clamshell iBook.

Did you do any tweaks or anything to enhance performance? It seems like the GPU is the big bottleneck. I put Leopard on a 733MHz PowerMac G4 and it ran great - but that machine also had a pretty decent video card (Radeon 7000, IIRC).
V Feb 15, 2013 12:40 PM
So any luck with your browser search? It's funny cause i came here for the same thing. My i5 iMac is at the store and i'm using my old iMac G5 and safari is painfully slow.