MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Applications (http://forums.macnn.com/applications/)
-   -   Move emails from apple mail to windows outlook (http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/499921/move-emails-apple-mail-windows-outlook/)

SteNash Apr 20, 2013 03:17 PM
Move emails from apple mail to windows outlook
Hello Everyone,

I have recently bought a windows laptop as majority companions in my office have windows only. I also have mac book pro having apple mail as my e-mail client. I work in a small company in which e-mail is the life blood of our company. So now what I need to do is move all my emails from apple mail to outlook that is present in windows laptop. I haven't found any answers or discussions regarding this topic on this forum site. Can any one please help me get over with this problem or at least guide me or direct me to the forum where solution for this query is posted.

Your help will be really appreciated. Thank you.

andi*pandi Apr 20, 2013 04:00 PM
Your email is in a "cloud" somewhere, or a microsoft exhange server. You don't need to copy emails, but just connect outlook to your email server.

who do you use?

shifuimam Apr 20, 2013 11:00 PM
I'm pretty sure this is another spammer.

If it's not: unless you're using POP3 to get your email, you don't need to back up anything.

besson3c Apr 20, 2013 11:08 PM
We should create a sticky thread called "moving email from one account to another or one email program to another", and in it:

"don't, use IMAP"

ghporter Apr 24, 2013 08:05 PM
And this certainly doesn't belong in the Mac Laptops forum. Like the other one didn't.

Spheric Harlot Apr 25, 2013 01:33 AM
Of course, if you move it, you'll never know if it was really spam, since the helpful colleague won't find the thread again.

ghporter Apr 25, 2013 07:02 AM
Redirect in the original forum, looks almost just like the original. I think we're covered.

cgc Apr 25, 2013 08:30 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4226961)
We should create a sticky thread called "moving email from one account to another or one email program to another", and in it:

"don't, use IMAP"
This has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads; there are legitimate uses for POP3, uses where IMAP can't suffice.

SteNash Apr 25, 2013 03:55 PM
Its a small setup and company is using pop3 as I checked in the outlook settings.
I wasn't aware about it earlier as some one else did the setup for email long back.

SteNash May 12, 2013 06:53 AM
No solution yet
Quote, Originally Posted by SteNash (Post 4226921)
Hello Everyone,

I have recently bought a windows laptop as majority companions in my office have windows only. I also have mac book pro having apple mail as my e-mail client. I work in a small company in which e-mail is the life blood of our company. So now what I need to do is move all my emails from apple mail to outlook that is present in windows laptop. I haven't found any answers or discussions regarding this topic on this forum site. Can any one please help me get over with this problem or at least guide me or direct me to the forum where solution for this query is posted.

Your help will be really appreciated. Thank you.
I haven't found any solution to my query yet. I have posted this query on various forums and still no one has helped me get an answer...!!!

Is there no answer to this question...???

besson3c May 12, 2013 03:25 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by cgc (Post 4227699)
This has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads; there are legitimate uses for POP3, uses where IMAP can't suffice.

Not many of them though. Users should at least default to using and thinking IMAP.

besson3c May 12, 2013 03:26 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by SteNash (Post 4230225)
I haven't found any solution to my query yet. I have posted this query on various forums and still no one has helped me get an answer...!!!

Is there no answer to this question...???

Is OS X Mail using POP or IMAP?

Spheric Harlot May 12, 2013 04:09 PM
As per his previous post, the account seems to require POP.

SteNash Jun 16, 2013 05:19 PM
Well having no offence to the forum rules, I found my solution in an application named Mail Passport Pro. I easily migrated all my emails from Apple mail to Windows outlook with easy steps provided by this application.

I found this tool here : Apple Mail to PST Convert – Convert Apple Mail Emails to WIndows Outlook PST

I am not an advertiser, just sharing my solution with other people.
I hope this will be a huge help to the other people who are looking to import/migrate/transfer their emails from apple mail to Windows outlook.

Thank you

besson3c Jun 16, 2013 05:38 PM
SteNash: why is this product necessary?

Spheric Harlot Jun 16, 2013 05:53 PM
Because he isn't using IMAP?

besson3c Jun 16, 2013 06:31 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4235322)
Because he isn't using IMAP?

It would be a heck of a lot easier to setup an IMAP account to use to migrate messages over, even if for whatever reason this person ultimately wants to continue using POP (although you'd think that with an experience like this these people would stop making themselves gluttons for punishment). These products literally have no fathomable reason to exist that I can see, aside from maybe giving a more obvious path for POP users - when these sorts of products work.

BLAZE_MkIV Jun 16, 2013 06:39 PM
Mail will export to mbox format i believe. It certain imports from it.