MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Applications (http://forums.macnn.com/applications/)
-   -   Recover deleted User (http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/500369/recover-deleted-user/)

nathanxu May 6, 2013 08:58 AM
Recover deleted User
Hi everyone,

I normally have 2 users on my computer. I saved some documents on one of the user that I don't use too often. I don't know what I was thinking when I deleted one of the user as a method to clear more hard drive space. :brick: Not sure why I've done that. Is there's a way just to recover that user? I tried several software that can recover everything I've deleted in the past. (some 100GB), it will take me forever to get through these datas and I bound to miss some important datas.

I also had look at the deleted users folder, there is nothing in that folder.

Thank you everyone.

Cheers
Nathan

andi*pandi May 6, 2013 11:12 AM
do you use time machine or any other backup?

nathanxu May 6, 2013 08:55 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4229269)
do you use time machine or any other backup?
Not really, I forgot to back up everything on that user.

reader50 May 6, 2013 09:05 PM
Your only real choice is the file-recovery method then.

If you can afford it, get an external HD, and install/clone your system onto it. Boot and work from the external while recovering files from the main drive.

Reason: deleted files are not protected. The less you use the internal drive, the more files you'll be able to recover. Also, since you're short on HD space, you need workspace to recover files to. So get an external, and make it at least 2x the size of the internal.

Once you've recovered all the files you want to (might take a few weeks of free-time work), copy them back to the internal drive. The external will become your Time Machine volume. So this doesn't happen again.

nathanxu May 7, 2013 09:16 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4229372)
Your only real choice is the file-recovery method then.

If you can afford it, get an external HD, and install/clone your system onto it. Boot and work from the external while recovering files from the main drive.

Reason: deleted files are not protected. The less you use the internal drive, the more files you'll be able to recover. Also, since you're short on HD space, you need workspace to recover files to. So get an external, and make it at least 2x the size of the internal.

Once you've recovered all the files you want to (might take a few weeks of free-time work), copy them back to the internal drive. The external will become your Time Machine volume. So this doesn't happen again.
Thank you, I have a very basic question, how do you install/clone my system onto the external hard drive?

OreoCookie May 7, 2013 10:01 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by nathanxu (Post 4229594)
Thank you, I have a very basic question, how do you install/clone my system onto the external hard drive?
The easiest way is to start using Apple's Time Machine which comes with the operating system. Plug in the external hard drive, go to the System Preferences > Time Machine, switch on Time Machine and select the external hard drive for Time Machine backups.

After an initial backup (which may take some time), it will just copy the changes and keep old files for a while. As long as you keep your external hard drive plugged in, Time Machine will back up automatically. That's all you need to remember :)

Just one thing to remember when you buy the drive: the external hard drive has to be big enough, I'd say twice as big as the hard drive you're backing up. You can also use the Time Capsule that you mention in your sig instead of an external hard drive.

nathanxu May 7, 2013 10:21 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4229596)
The easiest way is to start using Apple's Time Machine which comes with the operating system. Plug in the external hard drive, go to the System Preferences > Time Machine, switch on Time Machine and select the external hard drive for Time Machine backups.

After an initial backup (which may take some time), it will just copy the changes and keep old files for a while. As long as you keep your external hard drive plugged in, Time Machine will back up automatically. That's all you need to remember :)

Just one thing to remember when you buy the drive: the external hard drive has to be big enough, I'd say twice as big as the hard drive you're backing up. You can also use the Time Capsule that you mention in your sig instead of an external hard drive.
Thank you for your reply. Can I just clarify that I thought Time Machine can only get things back for the part you've backed up in the past. I have never backed up anything under that user. So I am trying to recover something I've never backed up before.

reader50 May 7, 2013 11:40 PM
To clone to another drive, fire up Disk Utility. It would be better if you did this from the OSX Install disk rather than booted from the drive you're cloning.

In Disk Utility, select the new drive in the left pane. Click on the Partition tab. Make sure it's an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) volume, and the partition map scheme (shown at bottom of DU window) is GUID. If not, set Volume Scheme to 1 partition, click on (Options...) button to select GUID partition table, and partition.

Click on the Restore tab.

For your Source, choose the internal drive. The new external will be the Destination. Click the "Restore" button to clone the drive to the external.

Optional step: rename the external to easily tell them apart.

To reboot into the clone, System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> (select external)

OreoCookie May 8, 2013 10:56 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by nathanxu (Post 4229599)
Can I just clarify that I thought Time Machine can only get things back for the part you've backed up in the past. I have never backed up anything under that user. So I am trying to recover something I've never backed up before.
You're right, it will not get back any of the data you've lost now, but it offers protection for the future. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

nathanxu May 8, 2013 06:46 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4229618)
To clone to another drive, fire up Disk Utility. It would be better if you did this from the OSX Install disk rather than booted from the drive you're cloning.

In Disk Utility, select the new drive in the left pane. Click on the Partition tab. Make sure it's an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) volume, and the partition map scheme (shown at bottom of DU window) is GUID. If not, set Volume Scheme to 1 partition, click on (Options...) button to select GUID partition table, and partition.

Click on the Restore tab.

For your Source, choose the internal drive. The new external will be the Destination. Click the "Restore" button to clone the drive to the external.

Optional step: rename the external to easily tell them apart.

To reboot into the clone, System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> (select external)
Thank you for your help.

I did all the above. I then restarted from the Startup Disk. However, I still couldn't see the deleted user. How do I recover deleted user from here?

Thank you again

OreoCookie May 8, 2013 09:40 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by nathanxu (Post 4229737)
I did all the above. I then restarted from the Startup Disk. However, I still couldn't see the deleted user. How do I recover deleted user from here?
You can't, cloning is just one to protect yourself against hard drive failure (although regular backups provide much more protection). The only piece of software that can recover files at this point is something like Data Rescue.

nathanxu May 8, 2013 09:55 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4229777)
You can't, cloning is just one to protect yourself against hard drive failure (although regular backups provide much more protection). The only piece of software that can recover files at this point is something like Data Rescue.
Thank you, does this software have the ability to sorting through files for that user only? I have tried on other software a where is recovered almost 220GB of files.(all the files I have ever deleted on muiltple users. I only need to recover files on one of the user.

reader50 May 8, 2013 10:12 PM
Use whatever recovery software you are happy with. But boot and work from the external clone in the meantime. You don't want to do *anything* on the internal HD until you've recovered all the files you plan to.

The more you use a drive, the more of those deleted files will get overwritten as their space gets reused. Hence cloning to an external and booting from there until all recovery is finished.