MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Applications (http://forums.macnn.com/applications/)
-   -   Library Folder in "Applications" is missing... (http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/501990/library-folder-in-applications-is-missing/)

Libid21 Jul 4, 2013 04:23 PM
Library Folder in "Applications" is missing...
I have no idea how this happened, but the "Library" folder that contains a lot of my applications' main folders is missing. Well, not really missing but I can't access it directly unless I go to this program I have and hit "open in folder"... I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough so here's a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/eswdc8I.png

You see how the library is hidden like that? How did that happen and how do I reverse it?

Thank you!

Spheric Harlot Jul 4, 2013 06:33 PM
That Library Folder contains nothing you should need to access in ordinary usage.

It has been made invisible since 10.7 Lion, because people kept messing with it and losing their e-mails and preferences and such.

If you really need to get into it frequently (for whatever reason), you can either just drag it to the sidebar and access it from there, or just hold down the option key while in the "Go" menu in the Finder (Library will appear), or use a terminal command to change the visibility flag to just keep it visible like any other folder.

May I ask why you need this?

reader50 Jul 4, 2013 07:26 PM
invisibliX will let you switch visibility on any file or folder. TinkerTool will let you make all hidden items visible. There are many alternative utilities for either.

Gotta love it when someone asks for control of their own computer - and people keep asking "why do you need it, maybe you really don't" instead of helping. One presumes he wants to see it ... because he said he wants to see it. And he owns it.

Libid21 Jul 4, 2013 07:48 PM
Thank you for the replies.

Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4237443)
invisibliX will let you switch visibility on any file or folder. TinkerTool will let you make all hidden items visible. There are many alternative utilities for either.

Gotta love it when someone asks for control of their own computer - and people keep asking "why do you need it, maybe you really don't" instead of helping. One presumes he wants to see it ... because he said he wants to see it. And he owns it.
Correct! I actually do have to access that Library part of my computer because it contains a folder where a program called "Out of the Park Baseball" holds its directory. I am constantly finding myself needing to go in there. I am not dumb though, I don't delete random things for no reason!

Thanks again for the help.

Spheric Harlot Jul 5, 2013 02:32 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4237443)
"Instead"?

I posted THREE suggestions to help solve this issue.

And these forums are FULL of questions from people who think they "need" something that they don't (see regular maintenance tools, or permissions repair "errors", or defragmentation tools, etc. etc.).

P Jul 5, 2013 04:28 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Libid21 (Post 4237447)
Correct! I actually do have to access that Library part of my computer because it contains a folder where a program called "Out of the Park Baseball" holds its directory. I am constantly finding myself needing to go in there. I am not dumb though, I don't delete random things for no reason!
In that case, just make a shortcut to that folder on the desktop. Much easier than making things visible.

Spheric Harlot Jul 5, 2013 01:28 PM
Or in the Finder sidebar, as I suggested above).

ghporter Jul 6, 2013 08:40 AM
As Spheric Harlot noted, messing with a Library folder, or its contents, is not something most users should do. It is one of those "fraught with peril" things that makes people hate Windows. In any case, there are certain issues that DO give a user good reason to tinker under the hood, like having preferences borked or the like. But...the particular reason for wanting/needing access can help illuminate the best and safest means of access to a Library folder.

So yes, it's your data and your folder and your computer, but if you give us a hint as to why you want in, maybe we can help identify the best way to get in without smashing through a door or something. ;)

Spheric Harlot Jul 6, 2013 12:43 PM
He has. :)

turtle777 Jul 6, 2013 02:04 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4237441)
or use a terminal command to change the visibility flag to just keep it visible like any other folder.
Yes, this is the fastest way.

Code:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/
-t

Spheric Harlot Jul 7, 2013 03:26 AM
Isn't that reset after each system update, though?

I'm pretty sure it is for the system libraries and other folders (/var, /private, /etc, etc.)

turtle777 Jul 7, 2013 01:54 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4237593)
Isn't that reset after each system update, though?

I'm pretty sure it is for the system libraries and other folders (/var, /private, /etc, etc.)
Yes, unfortunately.

-t