MacNN Forums (
-   Applications (
-   -   Safari does not display PDFs (

And.reg Aug 3, 2013 08:11 PM
Safari does not display PDFs
Alright I am currently in the process of getting used to Safari since I had been using Firefox, and I just did a refresh of my computer:

[1] When I click on a PDF link, all I get is a blank gray page. Nothing happens, and nothing downloads. If I control-click and ask Safari to save the PDF as a file in my Downloads folder, nothing happens.
I saw no options in Safari preferences to change this behavior.
I tried searching all over the internet, but all I got were threads from 6 years ago. I also tried searching the forums but just got a lot of off-topic results.
How do I fix this?

[2] Also: How do I turn off all the smilies to the right when I'm posting? I don't mind seeing that they exist; I just want the animations to freeze so that they don't waste CPU load. (On Firefox, I could hit Command-R and then quickly Command-. to freeze any .gif animations. That doesn't work in Safari. Am I stuck with them?)
P Aug 4, 2013 02:43 PM
1) It sounds like you may have an old PDF plugin installed. Check /Library/Internet Plugins and ~/Library/Internet Plugins.

2) There are many extensions that do this. Use Google and pick your favorite, I haven't tested any of them.
turtle777 Aug 4, 2013 07:04 PM
I recommend SchubertIT PDF plugin. Free, been using it for years.

Schubert|it PDF Browser Plugin

And.reg Aug 6, 2013 03:49 PM
Inside of /Library/Internet Plugins is
Quartz Composer.webplugin
QuickTime Plugin.plugin

The ~/Library/Internet Plugins folder is empty. I just want Safari to default to downloading the PDF instead of displaying it in a browser.
Spheric Harlot Aug 6, 2013 03:57 PM
PDFKit is not an internet plugin.

AFAIK, it is part of the /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework
And.reg Aug 7, 2013 05:01 PM
So how does that help?
turtle777 Aug 7, 2013 06:38 PM
Did you try the plugin I recommended ?

It will display the PDF, but give you a button to save it.

Spheric Harlot Aug 7, 2013 08:58 PM
Did it work before you reinstalled your software?
And.reg Aug 8, 2013 07:13 PM
I haven't tried the plug-in... I just remember that Safari used to be able to do that.

I didn't check PDFs in Safari before I downloaded any software. What is the default behavior supposed to be for Safari anyway?
And.reg Aug 11, 2013 08:34 PM
Alright I have no idea what changed, because I didn't change any settings on my computer and now Safari displays PDFs normally again.
And.reg Aug 17, 2013 05:37 PM
Another thing about Safari: Sometimes (maybe 1 out of every 6 or so launches) when I re-launch Safari, the browser window will be displaced down and to the right a bit from where it is supposed to be. It's like Safari thinks that it's already opened a window so it presents another one down and to the right... but there was never a window already open before that.
And.reg Aug 20, 2013 09:19 AM
Alright here's another weird issue with Safari:

I search on Bing, get my search results, then click on a link to a webpage and Safari has to "Wait..." for the page to load... I get impatient, and since I've used up my useful search results, I decide to change what Bing shows for my search term in the textfield. But if I click in the textfield, there is no cursor, and if I start typing, then nothing shows up. What's up?

Also: Did Wikipedia just get hacked? Because I've never seen Wikipedia not load before and I can't load it.
And.reg Sep 16, 2013 09:01 AM
Alright this gets really strange...

After updating to 10.8.5, Safari now finally correctly downloads a PDF when I click on its 10.8.4, it used to display PDFs all the time.

But how did it do that, and how do I control what happens to it anyway?
And.reg Sep 16, 2013 07:11 PM
Other weird issues that I am having with scrolling:

[1] When I view a picture, I cannot scroll diagonally on it anymore since updating to 10.8.5, it just scrolls in rectangular movements.

[2] When I scroll in any application, sometimes (though rarely), I will scroll on one window, and then all of a sudden, some other window will scroll in jackrabbit-like jumps with it. This often happens if I have multiple windows open in an application. Never saw that before...what's going on...?
And.reg Sep 17, 2013 02:02 PM
Alright now it (PDF behavior) just magically changed back again...

"Save linked file to Downloads" also doesn't work. Never has.